News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaranUlas

Episode 2 is now up.

I personally liked it although it's an episode that honestly needed two behind the science vids.

Dynomikegojira

I think I liked episode one better since it was more action packed but obviously I enjoyed this episode as well especially with the variety of dinosaurs and yes Hans Zimmer and the other 2 composers do come up with a kickass score for the Dreadgnothus fight. Yep as other have said the blue dromeosaurid is indeed a Velociraptor sp and that's not the other undescribed dinosaur species in the episode because along with Nemgtosaurus there's apparently a giant titanosaur that dwarfs everything else in it's environment. I'm loving the pterosaur segments, after being introduced to the aerial assassins of the first episode we get to set another side of Barbiodactylus including some interesting new behavior. Therizinosaurus is basically a cameo but we do get Barsbodia and Senecrosaurus making they first appearances. Tarbosaurus looks great and I love how distinct they made the design from Tyrannosaurus and Mononykus is so cute. The sound designs for the animals are amazing especially the pterosaurs. I'm loving this show.

SRF

I've watched the first epsido yesterday night and I'm looking forward to watching the second one tonight.

All I can just say is WOW, this is the best dinosaur content I've ever seen on a screen. Hopefully this becomes available to a wider public as well. If a Blue ray of Prehistoric Planet ever gets released, count me in on purchasing it right away.
But today, I'm just being father

bone crusher

Very keen to learn more about that Mongolian titan, a 70 ton titanosaur that rivals Argentinosaurus in size. Tarbosaurus looked great but wished it had more actions perhaps a fight with a Therizionsaurus? But the Dreadnoughtus duel was definitely the highlight of the show for me, to see those ponderous beasts slamming each other with bizarre airsacks popping in and out is something else. Episode 3 is gonna be my most anticipated yet, Deinocheirus in action and more T.Rexes!

Bread

I really loved both episodes and if I had to choose between the two, it would be episode 2! The visuals were beautiful and narration was outstanding!

I only wish that we received more Velociraptor screen time. That model is too gorgeous to only receive such little screen time.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Bread on May 24, 2022, 02:34:18 PMI only wish that we received more Velociraptor screen time. That model is too gorgeous to only receive such little screen time.

We will. It's appearing in tomorrow's episode as well.

Phenomenal so far! If I had to pick favorites from what we've gotten so far, I'd say the scene with the Tyrannosaurus family, and the Dreadnoughtus duel. The male Barbaridactylus's antics were also quite amusing, and I loved seeing Tarbosaurus looking so good. And seeing an ichnogenus like the Mongolian titanosaur being given a decent amount of screentime is a treat. Episode 2 may be my favorite since there are more species of actual dinosaurs, and it looks beautiful (though the same can be said for Episode 1).

Gwangi

I watched episode one last night and will watch episode 2 tonight. Unfortunately AppleTV+ was extremely laggy for me last night and so the quality was not where I would have liked it to be. I've had this experience with other streaming services and I'm not sure if it my connection or the service itself. Other services have worked fine for me.

Anyway, despite technical issues I was still grinning from ear-to-ear the entire time. This is the best prehistoric media/documentary I have ever seen. I loved the integration of real footage of modern day ecosystems which really helps illustrate that prehistory had different players on the same stage. A lot of the animal behaviors were directly borrowed from modern animals, which I recognized and I also appreciated. There were a few animal behaviors that made me scoff and I didn't buy into them but I won't get into here unless pressed. The ammonites were the most convincing CGI animals for me. You could easily fool someone into thinking that was real footage. Overall, it was a masterpiece.

Duna

I knew I would like this Episode 2 because aquatic reptiles and pterosaurs are not my favourite (amphibians yes) and the first episode was most about this) and although I loved that tyrannosaurus model -it's-always-tyrannosaurus-.

My favourite parts:
Spoiler
Obviously not the ones about pterosaurs but not because of their quality because that is superb. I also appreciate that they used the very common behaviour of sneaky males in many extant species and the very same copied courtship display of albatross. Funny-humanized description about some scenes ... I don't recall WWD of being that funny. And it's something I don't like in documentaries (and my husband hates even more). Probably is something that general public loves (along with giving names to the animals).
The dreadnoughtus were absolutely incredible in every scene, frontview, the exhibits, the fight, the death. How can the music be SO GOOD? OMG, I had my hairs stand on end (I don't know if it's said like that) for half the episode.
I need more scenes of the Velociraptor, it's amazing.
The lizzard catching flies from the Tarbosaurus is exactly the same behaviour (and even the exact scene filmed like that in the same frame) from the Reptiles episode from the BBC (I don't remember, probably Life?) in which the red agamas catch flies from the lions resting on rocks.
Ahd there is something better that a Mononykus: a wet Mononykus resting in a cave -super cool-I love it-  ^-^
All hadrosaurs are incredibly well done, babies included, with their travelling throught dunes like oryx and like desert elephants search of food and water.
And finally, I was intrigued about that giant Mongolian Titanosaur and I've found this, it seems to be only a footprint ...
https://www.dogonews.com/2016/10/7/perfectly-preserved-titanosaur-footprint-discovered-in-mongolia-is-the-largest-on-record
[close]

bone crusher

So it appears BBC used Scott Hartman's Sue skeletal reconstruction as a base for their T.Rex model and then added a proper layer of fat and skin so that it's no longer shrink wrapped 8) .
No wonder the weight jumped from Hartman's 8400kg to 10 tons.

Live animals especially massive critters like elephants, rhinos and hippos all carry a great amount of fat and muscle, so it would only make sense for T.Rex to have the same.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: bone crusher on May 24, 2022, 05:02:17 PMSo it appears BBC used Scott Hartman's Sue skeletal reconstruction as a base for their T.Rex model and then added a proper layer of fat and skin so that it's no longer shrink wrapped 8) .
No wonder the weight jumped from Hartman's 8400kg to 10 tons.

Live animals especially massive critters like elephants, rhinos and hippos all carry a great amount of fat and muscle, so it would only make sense for T.Rex to have the same.
Interestingly enough, Hippopotami aren't actually that fat; most of their soft tissue is musclar.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Carnoking

Just finished episode two and holy cow! Even after a great first episode, this blew me away! The Dreadnoughtus duel was an incredible highlight, and perhaps one of my favorite moments of prehistoric depiction in any media. Meanwhile
Spoiler
it was so fun to see  the lizard trying to catch flies around the Tarbosaurus! I know I've seen that clip of the lizard trying to catch flies off of sleeping lions somewhere, so it was awesome to see that repurposed here. And speaking on the Tarbosaurus, the oasis scene struck me as something straight out of Favreau's Jungle Book with predator and prey gathering around a water source. It
[close]
It was all so epic!

Carnoking

Only complaint? The Therizinosaur only getting a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo  ::)

ceratopsian

And I missed it!!  Stunning episode.  I couldn't even begin to pick out highlights as I was entranced all the way through. I'm left feeling I want some 3-D models of the "stars" of the show.

Quote from: Carnoking on May 24, 2022, 08:00:59 PMOnly complaint? The Therizinosaur only getting a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo  ::)

Primeval12

I bet it's coming back!

SRF

I really liked the second episode as well. This series is pure greatness. Looking very much forward to tomorrows episode, probably my most anticipated one of the series.
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 24, 2022, 09:08:33 PMI bet it's coming back!

I hope so! Loved the design, it deserves more attention!

Faelrin

Another great episode. Thoughts in the spoiler:

Spoiler
I think for me the Dreadnoughtus duel, the Mononykus and the hadrosaur journey at the end were the most interesting sequences for me, although I was very glad to also see Velociraptor (and Tarbosaurus too) looking the best it ever has, and for once like the actual animal it was. Looking forward to see more of it, or any other dromaeosaurid at this point.

The Barbaridactylus sequence straight up reminded me of the bird of paradise thing from another Attenborough narrated documentary.

Very much looking forward to the next episode with the beautiful Deinocheirus they teased earlier.
[close]

Here's the next Uncovered/making of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5IGhi2Pu8

Edit: Is the skull depicted on an undescribed finding? They did mention it was a recent find in the video above. Barbaridactylus was described in 2018, but no remains of its skull was mentioned in the initial paper describing it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Strepsodus

We need to compile a photographic list of all the species seen in the show so far. I've enjoyed the first two episodes of the show but only one question.

Do the Barbaridactylus from Deserts have hands?

Brocc21

Quote from: Strepsodus on May 24, 2022, 11:04:39 PMWe need to compile a photographic list of all the species seen in the show so far. I've enjoyed the first two episodes of the show but only one question.

Do the Barbaridactylus from Deserts have hands?

Nope. They're Nyctosaurs. They lost all their fingers aside from the pinky.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on May 21, 2022, 02:07:48 PMThanks for that link H @HD-man, I haven't seen that documentary before but will definitely check it out.

Anytime! When you can, please let me know what you think of it AWA Naish/Barrett's book & Brusatte's book. I wanna make sure that my reviews gave a good idea of what to expect ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6700.msg251373#msg251373 ).

Quote from: Brocc21 on May 25, 2022, 12:08:48 AMThey're Nyctosaurs. They lost all their fingers aside from the pinky.

You mean aside from the ring finger ;)
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: