News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko2300

Quote from: Carnoking on May 27, 2022, 01:43:16 AMI too was a little late with this one but I sure had a good time with it! As some have already mentioned, the stunning landscape photography seems to be brushed over in favor of the dinosaurs but I think it really shines in this episode!

Perhaps because I actually felt the CG was a bit weaker here than what we've previously seen? Not all of it or course(the Olorotitan herd looked great) but there was something about the even lighting and stark backgrounds towards the start of the episode that made the models look a little flat and less lifelike than when we had more dramatic lighting and mixed backgrounds to help distract us.

I actually thought the same thing, and I only really noticed it on the Olorotitans and the Antarctopeltas, who almost looked a little cartoonish. I suppose they had to determine the best place to use the resources available, and I certainly can't complain about anything with feathers or fur!

Dynomikegojira

This is the end and I have to say Forests is my second favorite episode and a great end to this amazing series that I've enjoyed and several surprise species including a major one people here having been dying to see. Sad it's the end for now but with the teams dedication on wanting to do more I hope they get that chance. All in all Prehistoric Planet was worth the wait and will probably shape paleodocs for years to come and is now tied with the Walking With series as my favorite paleodoc of all time. Thank you to everyone involved who made this a reality.

Bread

What a wonderful series! Forests was great, and my favorite part of this whole episode was the numerous herbivores featured plus they weren't being slaughtered constantly!

Here is my list of how I would rank them, top to bottom (have to say no episode was even mediocre, they were all good):
1- Freshwater
2- Ice Worlds
3- Deserts
4- Forests
5- Coast

I have Coast at the bottom probably because it had the least amount of dinosaur content (although I loved the Tyrannosaurus Hank with his children), was definitely more towards prehistoric marine animals and pterasaurs. Series was great and I'll definitely be rewatching it this weekend.

faydga

If they do a second season, I would prefer that they do entire episodes on individual formations, Hell creek, Nemegt, Horseshoe canyon, etc. if they stick with the late Cretaceous. The jumping from continent to continent was a bit scattershot for me. Aside from that, it was an enjoyable series and the CGI was phenomenal.

Duna

Quote from: Duna on May 26, 2022, 08:39:38 PM
QuoteNaish: This is a big thing for science nerds like myself. If you see something weird in the background and you're like "What was that? I want to see more of that." Stick around. Stick around and watch the rest of the series. Because if we've made a model of it, we're not just going to have it as a background thing, are we?
OH THERIZINOSAURUS TOMORROW!!  :)

Spoiler
YESSS, hehe I KNEW IT!  ^-^ And it has been super spectacular to show first the young ones and then ... blam, the colossal adult. I also liked a lot that it was a night scene, that was quite original.
[close]

My opinions on Forests:
Spoiler
This has replaced the second position of Ice Worlds just only because of the number of species shown. And mostly because of the "surprise" species that were very carefully kept hidden. I almost died of laugh/joy when I saw the Atrociraptor and I couldn't help that my mind recalled instantly that horrendous monster in Dominion. LOL. (Don't be mistaken, I have my movie ticket already bought but what I can't stand are the comments of its director saying that this time they made everything accurate). I was over the moon watching this Atrociraptor and I'm very thankful to have also this species as well. I loved the short-feathered feet (that reminded me of owls) a nicely change from Velociraptor and a sign that good research and opinions are taken into the series.
Triceratops in the cave was a very original scene, and the carnotaurus amazing. Super cool. But my favourite was the Qianzhousaurus stalking. It was one of the best CGI in the show, the predator looked incredibly realistic.
I also appreciated the return of Edmontosaurus, new ankylosaurus, some sauropods ... and wow, with the Zalmoxes, that caught me by surprise. :))
But the best part was the scenery, the very careful choice of returning to same exact place were the series began, the coast. The circle closed: a total success.
[close]

My rating will be (but very very little differences because I like them all:
1- Freshwater (because of the velociraptors and-that-scene-is-absolutely-amazing).
2- Forests (because of the ... surprise species).
3- Ice Worlds (because of the hadrosaurs in the mountain, the scenery and dromeosaurs).
4- Deserts (because of Dreadnoughtus).
5- Coasts (because pterosaurs and marine reptiles are not my favourite).

As I've decided to subscribe for a month, I'll rewatch it again and in Spanish, so I'll have an entertaining weekend.

Duna

Quote from: Darko2300 on May 27, 2022, 01:56:32 AMI actually thought the same thing, and I only really noticed it on the Olorotitans and the Antarctopeltas, who almost looked a little cartoonish. I suppose they had to determine the best place to use the resources available, and I certainly can't complain about anything with feathers or fur!
The antarctopeltas (not in all of them, because some were really good) in some scenes were undoubtedly one of the most CGI and less realistic looking of the whole series. In the scene that the young leaves the cave specially.

Brocc21

Prehistoric Planet was probably the best piece of Paleo media in the last decade. And I couldn't think of a better way to end it than a giant pterosaur flying off into the sunset.

Anyway;
1. Forests
2. Deserts
3. Ice worlds
4. Coasts
5. Freshwater
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

GojiraGuy1954

4. Freshwater
3. Forests (Tied)
3. Deserts (Tied)
2. Ice Worlds
1. Coasts
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Duna

Quote from: Gwangi on May 26, 2022, 09:10:08 PMTrying to avoid this thread until the series is done, since I'm watching it at night I guess you could say I'm a day behind. Just wanted to say that while the Freshwater episode was fantastic, it had little to do with freshwater environments. Most of it just took place in close proximity to freshwater and for me, that's not good enough. It would have been nice to see some crocodilians, turtles, and of course... fishes! But whatever, a small nitpick. I've been loving every minute of Prehistoric Planet. This is what I've been waiting for my entire life. This will pave the way for all future paleo-media and will be remembered as a milestone the same way that WWD, Jurassic Park, Sinclair's Dinoland, and Crystal Palace are. I hope.

^-^  ^-^

Dynomikegojira

So now that's there's talk of potential future season what would y'all like to see next. For me I'd like at least one more season set in the Masstricthian since for as much as they give us they really only scratched the surface of the full diversity of the time with several groups missing or underrepresented like the pachycephalosaurs various mammals, birds, various crocs and the abelisaurids like Majungasaurus and Rajasaurus. As for story ideas in keeping with the nature of this documentary it'd be cool if with we see a Tyrannosaurus adopt an orphan Triceratops or Edmontosaurus calf and certainly an episode about the open oceans would make sense also.

Samrukia

Quote from: SRF on May 26, 2022, 10:28:04 AMEpisode 4 was, again, pure greatness. Now I definitely have to pickup PNSOs Olorotitan after its appearance here.

It was mentioned that a total of 95 species would show up in Prehistoric Planet. Is there a full list of all of them? Would be nice to check out what genuses/species are already available in figure form.

such post would be very very much appreciated actually. the list of genuses/species and figures that are "closest in accuracy" to them.

Samrukia

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMSo now that's there's talk of potential future season what would y'all like to see next.

i think it would be logical to continue the "biomes" idea but during different period/age

Bread

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMSo now that's there's talk of potential future season what would y'all like to see next.
Honestly, for how diverse this series was there is nothing I could ask for. I simply want a surprise! I know they'll deliver good.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMAs for story ideas in keeping with the nature of this documentary it'd be cool if with we see a Tyrannosaurus adopt an orphan Triceratops or Edmontosaurus calf and certainly an episode about the open oceans would make sense also.
This makes no sense

GojiraGuy1954

Late Triassic, Early Jurassic, Late Jurassic, Early Cretaceous, Mid Cretaceous

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMFor me I'd like at least one more season set in the Masstricthian since for as much as they give us they really only scratched the surface of the full diversity of the time with several groups missing or underrepresented like the pachycephalosaurs various mammals, birds, various crocs and the abelisaurids like Majungasaurus and Rajasaurus.

Only after we get at least one season each for the Jurassic and Triassic

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 27, 2022, 07:25:13 PM
Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMAs for story ideas in keeping with the nature of this documentary it'd be cool if with we see a Tyrannosaurus adopt an orphan Triceratops or Edmontosaurus calf and certainly an episode about the open oceans would make sense also.
This makes no sense
Lions do it sometimes and other species have been observed doing it.

Bread

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 07:40:38 PM
This makes no sense
I believe this is due to them being mammals, plus a few sea turtle instances, but majority is mammals "adopting" other mammals.

I wouldn't be mad at it, but I think this adaptation would be far fetched.

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Bread on May 27, 2022, 08:12:46 PM
Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 07:40:38 PM
This makes no sense
I believe this is due to them being mammals, plus a few sea turtle instances, but majority is mammals "adopting" other mammals.

I wouldn't be mad at it, but I think this adaptation would be far fetched.
I thought some birds species did it too I'm have to look that up again.

Duna

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 27, 2022, 07:29:17 PMOnly after we get at least one season each for the Jurassic and Triassic
Agree!

Gwangi

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 27, 2022, 06:20:05 PMSo now that's there's talk of potential future season what would y'all like to see next. For me I'd like at least one more season set in the Masstricthian since for as much as they give us they really only scratched the surface of the full diversity of the time with several groups missing or underrepresented like the pachycephalosaurs various mammals, birds, various crocs and the abelisaurids like Majungasaurus and Rajasaurus. As for story ideas in keeping with the nature of this documentary it'd be cool if with we see a Tyrannosaurus adopt an orphan Triceratops or Edmontosaurus calf and certainly an episode about the open oceans would make sense also.

Mark Witton painted and blogged about just such a scenario.  Frankly, I found a lot of the parental care in Prehistoric Planet to feel a bit too mammalian and far fetched. Especially the plesiosaurs in the Coasts episode.

http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/03/tyrannosaurus-and-triceratops-friends.html.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: