News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

A shame about the lack of "hooves" on the Edmontosaurus, but damn that figure is a work of art.
Easily the standout of Safari's 2020 lineup.

Would like to see how the 2020 Edmontosaurus compares to Safari's old Anatotitan.

Dino Scream3232

Quote from: Flaffy on January 04, 2020, 03:57:03 PM
A shame about the lack of "hooves" on the Edmontosaurus, but damn that figure is a work of art.

Can't fault them for the lack of hooves. That info only came out a few months ago. These figures are in development for at least a year or more. Can't wait for more information to come out on the Dakota specimen.

TaranUlas

Quote from: Dino Scream3232 on January 04, 2020, 04:03:54 PM

Can't fault them for the lack of hooves. That info only came out a few months ago. These figures are in development for at least a year or more. Can't wait for more information to come out on the Dakota specimen.

Sadly, it is one of the risks of doing work in a field that changes so easily. Your work can become outdated before it even releases and it sucks, but on the bright side, it can generally mean that you have to make sure that your work is in line enough for it to still be worthwhile. I also look forward to more information on this specimen. I wonder what else we might learn from it.

I now possess the Pachycephalosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Ichthyosaurus, Sarcosuchus, and Deinonychus (Holding out for the Qianzhousaurus and Concavenator to be available before ordering Shringasaurus and Dilophosaurus) and I have to agree with the sentiment that the promo pictures really did a bad job of selling these figures. Handling them in person just feels so much better than the pictures led me to believe (The scaly textures on the Pachycephalosaurus, Edmontosaurus, and Sarcosuchus as well as the feathers on Deinonychus and the smooth skin of Ichthyosaurus are a treat to feel and all of these figures are bigger than I imagined. They feel solid in my hands and they stay up very well.) I also love the details on their skins and their faces (Dein's line for a mouth looks so much better than I thought it would and Pachy's spots and stubs look so much better.) I am really happy that I got these figures and I am very excited to get the rest ASAP.

DragonRider02

Man, that Deinonychus and Edmonto are so beautiful! I really, REALLY can't wait for ED to finally have them in stock.

SidB

The Edmontosaurus is at the top of my 2020 purchase list. What I would really like  is advice from the technically informed on HOW to potentially modify the existing Safari product so as to incorporate the new findings, without doing any substantial harm to the integrity of the sculpt. Any ideas?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2020, 11:56:19 PM

The Edmontosaurus is at the top of my 2020 purchase list. What I would really like  is advice from the technically informed on HOW to potentially modify the existing Safari product so as to incorporate the new findings, without doing any substantial harm to the integrity of the sculpt. Any ideas?

Just paint them on?

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 05, 2020, 12:00:22 AM

Just paint them on?
Yes, that seems about right, but the question behind the first would be, how large, how extensive should they be? Are there any current images that would illustrate how they might look?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on January 05, 2020, 04:03:36 AM

Just paint them on?
Yes, that seems about right, but the question behind the first would be, how large, how extensive should they be? Are there any current images that would illustrate how they might look?

I'd do a quick Google search, it's where I start when looking up something.

Doug Watson

Quote from: SidB on January 05, 2020, 04:03:36 AM

Just paint them on?

S @SidB You can see the hoof here on the North Dakota Geological Survey Paleontology Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/NDGSpaleo/ just scroll down to the October 17, 2019 entires
To make the hoof I would use a two part epoxy putty like Milliput, Aves or the one I use to sculpt my originals Magic Sculpt. Milliput if it is available near you would probably be the most economical since you won't need much. Up here in Canada you can get it at most Hobby shops. It is epoxy based and will stick to pretty much anything. It comes from the UK, if you are in the US and they don't have it I believe you should be able to find Green Stuff it is basically the same but I have never used it. All of these epoxy putties mix together in a 1:1 ratio so you just take a ball or strip of each the same size and kneed them together until uniform then sculpt. I wouldn't make it too thick it looks like it would look like an oversized toenail in real life with a slight convex curve on the outside. There would probably be a bit of a fleshy ridge like your own nails where it grows out from the hand so you could sculpt that as well. You can see that line on the fossil. Once it cures you can paint it with water based acrylic paints that you can get at a craft store or hobby shop. I'll probably do it on my samples when I get them. I'll probably grind out the pocket where the hoof would be and sculpt it in the pocket but if you aren't comfortable with that just sculpt it on top like I described.

Faelrin

Edit: Well avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson beat me to the information on it, but glad he's got some advice on how about doing this modification stuff.

Doesn't the topic on the forum have a lot of information on them? At least it would be a good place to start anyways:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8224.0

Also yeah it is sad in a way when this kind of thing inevitably happens (I mean about figures becoming outdated shortly after release), in that despite the effort and care into making these as accurate as one can, somethings could turn out to be incorrect, or different because of (luckily) new findings. This kind of happened with the Ankylosaurus and Tyrannosaurus too though I suppose they aren't definitive, like what happened here. This also happened with CollectA and with their Deinocheirus, although the major findings happened several years afterwards. Regardless I am fine with this, as it is another reminder to see how paleontology itself evolves from new findings, much like the creatures themselves once did. I think the journey itself to where things are heading is just as interesting as these ancient animals, and it also just shows how lucky we have been to find as much as we have been able to about these creatures long past, and perhaps rather recently, especially in the timeline of our species as a whole.

Edit: This is why I can also find retro figures appealing, even though many things may be now out of date, like Invicta, Carnegie Collection, and Battat.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Doug Watson

*poof* post deleted

John

I would wait until more information about the "hooves" of Dakota is published before doing any changes to existing Edmontosaurus models.The impressions on the hand of the "Trachodon" mummy in the AMNH directly contradict what is seen in Dakota,as it shows no evidence of hooves.It may be that it simply wasn't preserved on the AMNH mummy,but the hoof on Dakota is so large,it actually takes up nearly the entire hand,including areas that are clearly scaly in the corresponding parts of the one in the AMNH.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Duna

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 05, 2020, 06:27:12 AM
To make the hoof I would use a two part epoxy putty like Milliput, Aves or the one I use to sculpt my originals Magic Sculpt. Milliput if it is available near you would probably be the most economical since you won't need much. Up here in Canada you can get it at most Hobby shops. It is epoxy based and will stick to pretty much anything. It comes from the UK, if you are in the US and they don't have it I believe you should be able to find Green Stuff it is basically the same but I have never used it. All of these epoxy putties mix together in a 1:1 ratio so you just take a ball or strip of each the same size and kneed them together until uniform then sculpt. I wouldn't make it too thick it looks like it would look like an oversized toenail in real life with a slight convex curve on the outside. There would probably be a bit of a fleshy ridge like your own nails where it grows out from the hand so you could sculpt that as well. You can see that line on the fossil. Once it cures you can paint it with water based acrylic paints that you can get at a craft store or hobby shop. I'll probably do it on my samples when I get them. I'll probably grind out the pocket where the hoof would be and sculpt it in the pocket but if you aren't comfortable with that just sculpt it on top like I described.
I would really like to make for mine a hoove! If you modify your sample, please, could you post here how to do it? Thanks a lot.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Duna on January 05, 2020, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on January 05, 2020, 06:27:12 AM
I would really like to make for mine a hoove! If you modify your sample, please, could you post here how to do it? Thanks a lot.

It won't be for a while but I could do that.

P.S. I have modified this PVC with epoxy putty before and it sticks great but if you aren't grinding out a pocket for the hoof it wouldn't hurt to scuff up the area you are covering to make sure it adheres.

Dinoxels

I probably won't modify the feet, as I don't fret about that kind of stuff. I will say I love the fine scales on the figure, and I hope this type of detail is continues into 2021's lineup. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Safari has Finalized their figures for this upcoming year?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 05, 2020, 02:28:18 PM
I probably won't modify the feet, as I don't fret about that kind of stuff. I will say I love the fine scales on the figure, and I hope this type of detail is continues into 2021's lineup. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Safari has Finalized their figures for this year?

I sincerely believe that there will be no more dinosaur figures this year. All the figures are revealed in the last third of the year September / October and it would be a surprise to me that Safari made more prehistoric animals, they seem more than enough figures by the Safari brand, although I would not dislike more dinosaur figures and Other prehistoric animals prefer that Safari be limited to these figures. It would involve many expenses for collectors.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 05, 2020, 02:34:16 PM
I probably won't modify the feet, as I don't fret about that kind of stuff. I will say I love the fine scales on the figure, and I hope this type of detail is continues into 2021's lineup. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Safari has Finalized their figures for this year?

I sincerely believe that there will be no more dinosaur figures this year. All the figures are revealed in the last third of the year September / October and it would be a surprise to me that Safari made more prehistoric animals, they seem more than enough figures by the Safari brand, although I would not dislike more dinosaur figures and Other prehistoric animals prefer that Safari be limited to these figures. It would involve many expenses for collectors.
Typo. I meant this upcoming year.

Ravonium

I probably won't modify the feet, as I don't fret about that kind of stuff. I will say I love the fine scales on the figure, and I hope this type of detail is continues into 2021's lineup. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Safari has Finalized their figures for this upcoming year?

Possibly, but I doubt that's information that the company will let someone reveal.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 05, 2020, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 05, 2020, 02:34:16 PM

Typo. I meant this upcoming year.

I understand my sincere apologies.

Dinoxels

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: