News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

What's up with Safari changing paint jobs at the last minute?

Last year they did it with the Stegosaurus, now the Concavenator...

Loon

That's a shame. I already figured this would be my least favorite figure from Safari this year, as I wasn't all too impressed with the original paint scheme to begin with; but, really did like the striping on the back. It's sad to see that's gone.

Dinoguy2

Given the long delay on the Qianzhousaurus, I'm a little worried about how that finished figure is going to look...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dinoxels

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 13, 2020, 08:48:49 PM
Given the long delay on the Qianzhousaurus, I'm a little worried about how that finished figure is going to look...

https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/safari-ltd/3400-qianzhousaurus-dinosaur-figure-by-safari-ltd.html
Urtzeitshop takes their own in hand images, so this should be the final form. I already knew this figure was going to be Green from some in hand images from Bioniclesaurus. The teeth appear to be hardly visible, which is sad.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Jose S.M.

I'm still on the fence of getting the Qianzhousaurus but if I do I will repainted. Also probably will repaint the Concavenator. I like the main colors of the body but not the stripes

Concavenator

Funnily enough, back in 2013, a lot of people were complaning about Safari releasing a sloppily painted Carnegie Concavenator. And now, in 2020, 7 years after the release of that figure, people are again complaining about Safari releasing a sloppily painted new Concavenator. History repeats, doesn't it?  ;D

Yes, the new version is noticeably sloppier than the original, the paint application looks very rushed. Not to mention the green from the promo picture is totally absent. But still, I kind of like this figure.

Faelrin

Add me to the list disappointed about the difference between the original pic and that one there, in regards to the Concavenator. I suppose it could look better in hand pics, and/or in video, but it just doesn't interest me much now. I really did like the greenish coloration and black stripes going on in the promo pics. Ah well, even if I pass this one up for now I still have plenty this year to pick up at some point. I think this might be the only one to look worse from the promo pics too, versus the others looking better (at least to me if not others here). I noticed the Qianzhousaurus seems to be missing the wash that was present on the promo pics too, but it largely seems the same. So perhaps the Concavenator wasn't the only one that is losing some paint detail here. Perhaps might be why the both of these have taken as long as they have to go in stock compared with the others, if not something else holding them behind.

I also understand that paint applications are expensive, and perhaps if those are getting more expensive, perhaps that could explain the overall decrease in quality for that figure (because of it already being listed for $9.99) and why smaller figures like the Pachycephalosaurus seem to be pricier then what I could have expected a couple of years ago, in that it is nearly the same as the Kronosaurus, Feathered Tyrannosaurus, and even last year's Spinosaurus, and in which the smaller Edmontosaurus and last year's Stegosaurus are also comparable in price to those (with the Edmontosaurus being their priciest figure yet). If I had to guess this would also explain the increase in prices for some items as well (at least on their website), as the paint gets more expensive, among other things reflected by the state of the economies and such. And if prices will end up raising in the years to come for one reason or another, at least thankfully with this brand, I don't need to rush to get particular figures either, for fear of paying scalper prices later.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I'm passing on both the Concavenator and the Ichthyosaurus, as I prefer the Carnegie Collection versions.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Agreed on both counts.

Shonisaurus

I understand that the concavenator of Carnegie DTF members were many of us unfair to this figure and sincerely I like it more than their Safari counterpart, the Carnegie ichythiosaurus eating an ammonite was a figure that really excited me and of which I keep an indelible I remember, the current figure of Safari ichythiosaurus is pretty but not bright. Totally agree with you suspsy. Apart from all that, those Carnegie figures were much larger and I am a follower of the large prehistoric animals.

Faelrin

Speaking of the Carnegie one, does anyone have both that one and this new one?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Does anyone have photos or a video of the Qianzhousaurus or Concavenator?  I'm aware of urzeitshop's photos, I'd like to see someone else's figures.

GojiraGuy1954

Yeah, I was considering getting this, since the carnegie one is inaccurate now, but that paintjob... I'll pass.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dinoguy2

Quote from: TheRealSpinoRex on January 16, 2020, 06:00:34 PM
Yeah, I was considering getting this, since the carnegie one is inaccurate now, but that paintjob... I'll pass.

In what way is the Carnegie one inaccurate?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson do you plan on modifying the Edmontosaurus to reflect the discovery of the hooves, similar to what CollectA has done with their Microraptor and its twin tail feathers?

MLMjp

Quote from: Concavenator on January 24, 2020, 10:10:06 AM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson do you plan on modifying the Edmontosaurus to reflect the discovery of the hooves, similar to what CollectA has done with their Microraptor and its twin tail feathers?
The figure is already out avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, he can´t do anything now.

Concavenator

Quote from: MLMjp on January 24, 2020, 10:17:37 AM
The figure is already out avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, he can´t do anything now.

Yeah I know, but I was asking if, despite the figure being released, he could or not modify it anyways.

CollectA also modified some of their theropods' sculpts to have bases, like their 2012 Mapusaurus, despite being a released figure

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on January 24, 2020, 10:20:58 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on January 24, 2020, 10:17:37 AM

Yeah I know, but I was asking if, despite the figure being released, he could or not modify it anyways.

CollectA also modified some of their theropods' sculpts to have bases, like their 2012 Mapusaurus, despite being a released figure
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, check out reply #340.

Sim

Today I received the Safari 2019 Deinonychus, Dilophosaurus and Qianzhousaurus!  I like them all a lot.  Some other thoughts on each figure: Deinonychus is impressively large and heavy.  Dilophosaurus is small but still big enough.  I wasn't sure what to expect for the Qianzhousaurus due to the lack of photos/videos of it.  It turns out it's a very nice figure.  I like its colouration, and the colouration of the Deinonychus too.

TaranUlas

Today I finally got the last four figures of Safari 2020 (Qianzhousaurus, Concavenator, Dilophosaurus, Shringasaurus.) Personally, I think they are for the most part good (With one exception that I will get to.) Thoughts for each figure:

Shringasaurus: This one is definitely my favorite from today's package. The texture is great, the colors are painted on really well, and the overall design and posture are just great. Just a genuine favorite for this year.

Qianzhousaurus: I was worried when I saw the paint changes and to an extent, I was right. The coloring is a bit odd with the green seeming somewhat oddly mixed in with the orange and brown. This is not to say that it doesn't somehow still work though. It does and the figure in general works  The size is definitely smaller and it is much closer to being horizontal. An unexpected one for me... I like it.

Dilophosaurus: This is a very small figure among my dinosaur figures. I have a couple smaller figures among my collection, but it definitely fits in more sizewise with my more extant animals (Scalewise, this Dilo is pure dino though. It just looks super small amongst the 1:35 figures it is a part of.) The paint job is done pretty well even if there definitely is some spillover from the crests to the head that makes things awkward. The pose is pretty good (Although is a Dilophosaurus supposed to have a bendy tail or not?) Not my favorite, but it is an accurate Dilophosaurus which I do approve of.

Concavenator: The new paintjob isn't bad. I wish it was more blended, but it doesn't look bad. The mold itself looks good, the accuracy is on point as usual... BUT the feet are sculpted badly on mine. One foot is lower than the other and the claw on the right foot's middle toe is completely... screwed up as in "Pointed straight up in the air" screwed up. As a result, the Concavenator is completely unable to stand alone and will require a support of some kind (I'm going to probably wind up putting it up like the Kelenken in my collection with figures right by it to hold it up.) Would have been good except for that last bit, which somewhat ruins the figure to me (I like all of my figures to stand easily by either base or on their feet. Using other figures or clay to stabilize them is not what I like.)

I'll take pictures of all 2020 figures together after work today and post it up here. After all, might as well show off how they all look here for anyone still curious about them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: