News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: MLMjp on February 14, 2020, 09:32:39 PM
But I may ask something?:

Do you ever think things like..."Can't wait to see what the people at the DTF will say when they see this" or "this is going to make (insert random forum member/members) very happy" when you finish your pieces?

I used to, then that person would leave a post like "I still like the Carnegie better" or "it should have feathers" so now I make no assumptions. I still like to see what people here and on other forums think, glutton for punishment I guess. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 15, 2020, 06:18:35 AM

Do you ever think things like..."Can't wait to see what the people at the DTF will say when they see this" or "this is going to make (insert random forum member/members) very happy" when you finish your pieces?

I used to, then that person would leave a post like "I still like the Carnegie better" or "it should have feathers" so now I make no assumptions. I still like to see what people here and on other forums think, glutton for punishment I guess. :)

Aren't we all?....such is the life of an artist. We want to share something we love with others only to be denied more often than not. As long as your happy with it and especially your employer is happy who cares right?    Now I do try to word my critiques carefully when I actually feel a need to say anything at all..I still think feathers on your Spinosaurus would be a good idea, from a marketing standpoint if nothing else ;)  ;D

Shadowknight1

If it makes you feel better, I absolutely adore this year's Deinonychus.  He's not roaring or trying to be scary, so with his colors, he comes off as a rather stately fellow.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2020, 07:31:05 AM

Aren't we all?....such is the life of an artist. We want to share something we love with others only to be denied more often than not. As long as your happy with it and especially your employer is happy who cares right?    Now I do try to word my critiques carefully when I actually feel a need to say anything at all..I still think feathers on your Spinosaurus would be a good idea, from a marketing standpoint if nothing else ;)  ;D

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon  I can't remember any negative comments about your work but maybe they are afraid that big scary clown will come after them.  By the way does your alter ego have a name?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 15, 2020, 03:34:13 PM

If it makes you feel better, I absolutely adore this year's Deinonychus.  He's not roaring or trying to be scary, so with his colors, he comes off as a rather stately fellow.

:)

Loon

This is definitely the vibe I get from this year's Deinonychus. Like a prehistoric Sam the Eagle.

Shonisaurus

I agree with members of DTF that Doug has projected the new figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of next year 2021 I am absolutely sure that they are the species that will surprise us positively as it has happened in previous years.

It is a luxury and an honor to have Doug as a member of DTF. He is one of my favorite PVC dinosaur figure sculptors.

Getting to the point, in the deinonychus of Safari, Doug has the genius of sculpting a raptor that instills respect and even fear without the need for his jaws to be articulated and without the need to adopt any offensive or defensive posture, here I see Doug's genius As with dilophosaurus, concavenator and sarcosuchus, another figure to consider.

MLMjp

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 15, 2020, 06:56:35 PM

:)
Oh yeah, artists will always have their work criticized. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable by my question, Doug, and thank you for answering. I absolutely adore some of the figures you have made, like your feathered T.rex, which was to closest thing to perfection a T.rex figure could get when it was released, I loved how the feathers look, every other feathered T.rex before it didn't look that great with feathers, but yours is amazing. I also love the colors.

Shame that science now points out to a more scaly T.rex, which makes your figure possibly inaccurate, but still an amazing piece.

Faelrin

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Let me join in on saying how much I love the Deinonychus too. It reminds me so much of an Emily Willoughby painting brought to figure form, which to be honest is something I've been waiting years to see. Once I doing better financially I plan to get this and some of the others I'm behind on. It'll definitely go nicely right along side your 2015 Sauropelta as well (despite being in different scales, but contemporaries anyways, similar to the Ceolophysis and Postosuchus). Additionally I also really the new Edmontosaurus, Dilophosaurus (I've been asking for this species to be remade for years now, and finally it has), Sarcosuchus, and the others. It's so nice to have so many figures with closed mouths for once too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 15, 2020, 06:55:37 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2020, 07:31:05 AM

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon  I can't remember any negative comments about your work but maybe they are afraid that big scary clown will come after them.  By the way does your alter ego have a name?

Not here exactly, but I do get them. The county leaders dislike me and all I do. But an example, like " When are you adding feathers to your T.rex? " I explain how difficult it would be to do so and without a 100% proof not really worth it.. I get an " Oh ok. " Like I'm just too lazy to do it.  It's quite hard to keep smiling and thanking visitors for a 1.00 when their kid was causing damage, throwing rocks, ect all over. It..builds in you, the stress.   You mean Taffy? My clown for the haunted attraction.  I wish I could sometimes..it's one thing I do all year that helps me as a release and of course the county wants to take that away too..

Concavenator

Quote from: Faelrin on February 15, 2020, 11:55:55 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Let me join in on saying how much I love the Deinonychus too. It reminds me so much of an Emily Willoughby painting brought to figure form, which to be honest is something I've been waiting years to see. Once I doing better financially I plan to get this and some of the others I'm behind on. It'll definitely go nicely right along side your 2015 Sauropelta as well (despite being in different scales, but contemporaries anyways, similar to the Ceolophysis and Postosuchus). Additionally I also really the new Edmontosaurus, Dilophosaurus (I've been asking for this species to be remade for years now, and finally it has), Sarcosuchus, and the others. It's so nice to have so many figures with closed mouths for once too.

The Deinonychus is truly awesome and I hope it will win the "Best Dinosaur Toy of 2020" by PT Magazine, it really deserves it. And since last year was the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the species, that would be another excuse  :P
I have been hoping for a good Deinonychus figure since I was around 8  ;D So this new Safari version is a must have for me.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2020, 01:09:07 AM
You mean Taffy? My clown for the haunted attraction.  I wish I could sometimes..it's one thing I do all year that helps me as a release and of course the county wants to take that away too..

Taffy! Yes that is who I meant. I just don't get this vendetta from your county, do you know if the complaints are coming from neighbours, usually someone with a lot of influence has to be bugging politicians to get them to invest this much time on something. There seems to be haunted attractions operating without any issues all over the US and Canada, this just seems to be mean spirited. I know I am off topic but this sucks. >:(

Doug Watson

Quote from: Loon on February 15, 2020, 09:03:07 PM
This is definitely the vibe I get from this year's Deinonychus. Like a prehistoric Sam the Eagle.

That touches me, I am a big Sam the Eagle fan! :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 16, 2020, 03:03:42 PM
You mean Taffy? My clown for the haunted attraction.  I wish I could sometimes..it's one thing I do all year that helps me as a release and of course the county wants to take that away too..

Taffy! Yes that is who I meant. I just don't get this vendetta from your county, do you know if the complaints are coming from neighbours, usually someone with a lot of influence has to be bugging politicians to get them to invest this much time on something. There seems to be haunted attractions operating without any issues all over the US and Canada, this just seems to be mean spirited. I know I am off topic but this sucks. >:(

Sorry to derail things. They won't ever tell me where the complaints are coming from or even what they said. I do have two "jerk" neighbors out of all of them, but I don't see the connection/influence yet. Most of it is these officials with too much power that are too lazy and hide behind codes to push their agendas through.  Our mayor had no idea about anything when a reporter went to speak to him.  That's been a big issue, all the inspectors and officials each tell me something different, it why we hired a lawyer to pin them down.

Shonisaurus

They are also worthy candidates to win the prize for the best dinosaurs in the Prehistoric Times magazine the pachycephalosaurus and the edmontosaurus from my sincere opinion.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2020, 05:23:09 PM

Sorry to derail things. They won't ever tell me where the complaints are coming from or even what they said. I do have two "jerk" neighbors out of all of them, but I don't see the connection/influence yet. Most of it is these officials with too much power that are too lazy and hide behind codes to push their agendas through.  Our mayor had no idea about anything when a reporter went to speak to him.  That's been a big issue, all the inspectors and officials each tell me something different, it why we hired a lawyer to pin them down.
I hope that's it's not prohibitively expensive, but this lawyer needs to give you protection, peace of mind and proper closure. If he/she does, it's a good investment in the future.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on February 16, 2020, 11:49:14 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2020, 05:23:09 PM

I hope that's it's not prohibitively expensive, but this lawyer needs to give you protection, peace of mind and proper closure. If he/she does, it's a good investment in the future.

So far it's been 100.00 for a meeting and 1500.00 for a retainer  with 500 a month from then on. It's quite pricey.  Thus far we haven't accomplished much she's more acting as an intermediary between me and the county. I have another court date on March 2, it's pretty frustrating.  If you like we can continue this at my art thread I'm ok with that :  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=37.msg250673;boardseen#new

DinosDragons

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 11, 2020, 03:36:27 PM
Please indulge me while I address another critique of one of my pieces. On the blog in a review by avatar_indohyus @indohyus the author says the snout on my Sarcosuchus is too short. I addressed it in a reply on the blog but the author is still unconvinced so since I couldn't figure out how to post an image on the blog replies I'll do it here.
Here is my original compared to the restoration in the 2001 paper by Sereno et al.  The restoration here was scaled to my model and was what I used to scale the piece. Using photos of the skull online that aren't taken directly from above or laterally tend to have fish eye distortion that make the snout look longer. A scientific illustration is a better source since they are drawn to scale. Even a photo of the skull taken directly above can have some camera distortion.

Hi Doug, this is really enlightening. This would mean that countless books, popular programmes and pretty much all media has this absolutely wrong! It certainly look a lot less fearsome now and I'm wondering why no one caught it before.

SidB

It's still fearsome enough! Imagine swimming with this colossus advancing towards you. if you've never felt fear, you will now.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I would just like to say thank you to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson for these lovely sculpts you keep producing, often the best of each species. I hope you are not put off by negative comments. (And I think your new Concavenator is nicer than the Carnegie)
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: