News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top favourite prehistoric animals

Started by Sim, November 16, 2019, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - a life-sized resin astrapothere skull would make a sweet centerpiece for a South American-themed aquarium. I can just imagine a school of rummynoses darting through the eye sockets, corydoras using the nasal opening as a cave... More sensible than the Tyrannosaurus skulls every pet store carries, anyhow.

Lynx

Pinacosaurus and it's relatives. Nothing else except maybe Spinosaurus and Ceratosaurus.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

My favourite prehistoric animals have had some changes since I last posted in this thread.  The first 11 never change, but after that there tends to be changes.  Below are my favourite prehistoric animals right now.

1. Velociraptor mongoliensis
2. Rhamphorhynchus muensteri
3. Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis
4. Saurornithoides mongoliensis
5. Thalassomedon haningtoni
6. Buitreraptor gonzalezorum
7. Baryonyx walkeri
8. Stegosaurus stenops
9. Sinornithosaurus millenii
10. Deinonychus antirrhopus
11. Linheraptor exquisitus
12. Utahraptor ostrommaysi
13. Suchomimus tenerensis
14. Dromaeosaurus albertensis
15. Cymbospondylus petrinus
16. Scaphognathus crassirostris
17. Eoraptor lunensis
18. Eudimorphodon ranzii

With regards to the new additions...  Suchomimus is so cool, it's a baryonychine almost the same size as Tyrannosaurus, and another thing I like about it is it's the most completely known spinosaurid.  Cymbospondylus petrinus has always been my favourite ichthyosaur, I find it impressive and charming.

Sim

Actually, I overlooked that number 5 in my list changed.  It's the elasmosaurid position that has gone back to Thalassomedon, the elasmosaurid that I had as a favourite when I started this thread.  I didn't write anything about it at the time, so I will now.  Thalassomedon became a favourite of mine again when I got the CollectA Thalassomedon.  The figure made me realise Thalassomedon does have the qualities which make it my favourite plesiosauroid.  The qualities that make Thalassomedon Thalassomedon.

HD-man

;) For those who don't know, there's a thread for posting your favorite artworks of these species: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10177.0
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Halichoeres

What does Thalassomedon have that Styxosaurus doesn't? I'm not especially kmowledgeable about elasmosaurids.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Styxosaurus and Thalassomedon have different postcranial proportions, as is shown in the image below.

(Image source)

Their heads look different too, Styxosaurus seems to have a bump on its snout and proportionally bigger teeth in the front of the mouth.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.