News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top favourite prehistoric animals

Started by Sim, November 16, 2019, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I thought this could be an interesting topic.  Members can share what their top 10 favourite prehistoric animals are.  I'll start with mine!

1. Velociraptor mongoliensis
2. Thalassomedon haningtoni
3. Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis
4. Saurornithoides mongoliensis
5. Rhamphorhynchus muensteri
6. Nothosaurus mirabilis
7. Baryonyx walkeri
8. Stegosaurus stenops
9. Buitreraptor gonzalezorum
10. Sinornithosaurus millenii

Shonisaurus

My ten favorite prehistoric animals are the following:

1. Tyrannosaurus
2. Majungasaurus
3. Paraceratherium
4. Shonisaurus
5. Tsintaosaurus
6. Chasmosaurus
7. Kosmoceratops
8.Albertosaurus
9. Moschops
10. Dsungaripterus

And in my case the list falls short. It is very difficult to choose which are my favorite figures. I honestly like all prehistoric and extinct animals and apart from that I love all current animals (which for now and fortunately) subsist among us.

I have excepted other figures that for me are already well represented as the elasmotherium, uintatherium, megacerops, keleken, protoceratops (now with BoTM and Collecta it will be well represented from my point of view or point of view) and the list for me could be very long.

Faelrin

Oh jeez only ten. This might be tough for me. We'll see.

I guess Deinonychus should be at the top of this list for me (although surprisingly I'm now more familiar with Velociraptor, which may as well be my second choice). While I knew of the Jurassic Park raptors as Velociraptor's, I eventually learned of Deinonychus from what would be now a retro illustrated story book on it (the title was simply just Deinonychus) that I read as a child. At the time I thought it was another species of "raptor", and I came to like it just as much. Eventually I found out the Jurassic Park film Velociraptor were basically just oversized and based on/were outdated depictions of Deinonychus. In recent years I've also discovered that Deinonychus lived alongside Acrocanthosaurus, and Sauropelta, two of my other favorite dinosaurs.

I think Carnotaurus is my next choice. Disney's Dinosaur was what introduced me to it, although of course it was a bit too tyrannosaur like there. Of course learning about it in recent years has helped solidify it as one of my favorite dinosaurs, just on the account of how weird it was in reality, with near useless arms, and being built for speed because of the powerful tail muscles it would have had, not to mention the weird thin and blunt head it head, with those wonderful horns.

Anomalocaris is my next choice. I first found out about it from watching Walking with Monsters a few years ago. It's never failed to fascinate me since, and even if it may have been an apex predator in its time, I can't help but think it was cute.

Allosaurus is one of my all time favorites and has been ever since I was a child when I watched Walking With Dinosaurs (but it was really the Big Al special that did it). I'm glad to see it finally get some due in the Jurassic franchise, even if it has some anatomical issues sadly (same with the Carnotaurus).

Parasaurolophus is perhaps my favorite herbivorous dinosaur. I know it is the go too for hadrosaurids much of the time, but just something about the shape of its crest just really appeals to me (ditto for long crested Pteranodon). It just comes off across as this gentle creature in my mind, even though it very likely could have been just as dangerous as any large herbivore around today (if not more so).

Tyrannosaurus (edit: would have been number 2 or 1 as a kid, depending what I was more in the mood for then), Triceratops (one of my all time favorites, though if we were asking favorite ceratopsians, first would be the smaller Styracosaurus. At this point though I do know more about Triceratops, in part from it having integument, and so many specimens, so for over all dinosaurs I feel it fits better higher up on this list for me), Stegosaurus, Pteranodon are my next choices, probably because I've been the most exposed to them.

Next ten would have to include Dimetrodon, Ankylosaurus, Iguanodon (partly from Disney's Dinosaur, partly from being one of the first named dinosaurs), Apatosaurus (although I'm more nostalgic for the name Brontosaurus, though I realize they were different, but it was really Apatosaurus used much of the time, instead of Brontosaurus proper), Spinosaurus (thanks JPIII), Styracosaurus (I love the frill on that one), Smilodon, and some recent discovered animals like Borealopelta, Regaliceratops, and Microraptor. Of course it really doesn't stop there either, but I suppose that will do for now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

australovenator

In no particular order (I'd be ruminating over it for ages otherwise)

1. Tyrannosaurus Rex
2. Australovenator
3. Camarasaurus
4. Postosuchus
5. Carnotaurus
6. Kentrosaurus
7. Deinonychus
8. Styracosaurus
9. Quinkana (is this prehistoric enough?)
10. Therizinosaurus

Gwangi

The only way I can compile a list like this is by naming 10 of my favorites, not my 10 favorites because that list doesn't exist. Basically, a selection of 10 favorites from a much longer list. I'll try to apply some diversity to this list.

Koolasuchus
Purussaurus
Eurypterus
Pelagornis
Tullimonstrum
Anomalocaris
Hyneria
Ophiacodon
Nothosaurus
Liliensternus

suspsy

Tyrannosaurus rex
Triceratops
Stegosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Yi
Quetzalcoatlus
Tylosaurus
Arctotherium
Gigantopithecus
Megatherium
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

These are some of my favorites:

Allosaurus (my favorite dinosaur)
Giganotosaurus
Concavenator
Spinosaurus
Deinocheirus
Tyrannosaurus
Deinonychus
Diplodocus
Quetzalcoatlus
Diabloceratops

Loon

Protoceratops
Ceratosaurus
Styracosaurus
Yutyrannus
Stegosaurus
Cryolophosaurus
Pakicetus
Basilosaurus
Utahraptor
Atopodentatus

Ravonium

Yi qi
Halszkaraptor escuilliei
Pliosaurus kevani
Hallucigenia sparsa
Anchiornis huxleyi
Shonisaurus popularis
Armadillosuchus arrudai
Repenomamus robustus
Mosasaurus hoffmanni
Vegavis iaai

CarnotaurusKing

1. Tyrannosaurus
2. Tarbosaurus
3. Ceratosaurus
4. Giganotosaurus
5. Carnotaurus
6. Daspletosaurus
7. Majungasaurus
8. Cryolophosaurus
9. Herrerasaurus
10. Brachiosaurus/Brontosaurus/Camarasaurus

Sarapaurolophus

Interesting question considering most of my prehistoric faves are nostalgia-based or because I find them beautiful. Unlike extant animals I can observe and learn about. I have a couple "unusual" animal faves simply because I find their behaviour fascinating.

Also, my top ten always shifts around and changes based on what I am currently reading about or what I saw in museums ;)

1. Amargasaurus
2. Parasaurolophus
3. Liliensternus
4. Andrewsarchus
5. Hyracotherium
6. Elasmosaurus
7. Microraptor
8. Miragaia (and similar looking, like Huayangosaurus)
9. Sinosauropteryx
10. Europasaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2019, 02:31:00 PM
Liliensternus

Be still my heart. Another one who appreciates the Liliensternus! I feel like it's always in Dilopho's shadow.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on February 05, 2020, 09:10:50 PM
Interesting question considering most of my prehistoric faves are nostalgia-based or because I find them beautiful. Unlike extant animals I can observe and learn about. I have a couple "unusual" animal faves simply because I find their behaviour fascinating.

Also, my top ten always shifts around and changes based on what I am currently reading about or what I saw in museums ;)

1. Amargasaurus
2. Parasaurolophus
3. Liliensternus
4. Andrewsarchus
5. Hyracotherium
6. Elasmosaurus
7. Microraptor
8. Miragaia (and similar looking, like Huayangosaurus)
9. Sinosauropteryx
10. Europasaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2019, 02:31:00 PM
Liliensternus

Be still my heart. Another one who appreciates the Liliensternus! I feel like it's always in Dilopho's shadow.

Haha, there aren't many of us are there? You'll notice it listed as my dinosaur under my profile picture too. I have a thing for all the basal theropods from the Triassic and early Jurassic. Coelophysis, Dilophosaurus, etc.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
I have a thing for all the basal theropods from the Triassic and early Jurassic. Coelophysis, Dilophosaurus, etc.

Same. That might be because as a child I've been to the museum in Stuttgart often and it was cool to learn there were larger carnivores in Germany. Little me was scared ;D

Patrx

Hey, I think I somehow missed this thread! Interesting lists here, everyone.

1 Triceratops
2 Deinonychus
3 Stenonychosaurus
4 Heterodontosaurus
5 Compsognathus
6 Leaellynasaura
7 Lycaenops
8 Camarasaurus
9 Gorgosaurus
10 Protoceratops

SidB

Mine, in order, are:

Tyrannosaurus
Triceratops
Carnotaurus
Ankylosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Allosaurus
Amargosaurus
Ichthyosaurus
Styracosaurus
Giganotosaurus

Gwangi

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on February 05, 2020, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2020, 10:43:53 PM
I have a thing for all the basal theropods from the Triassic and early Jurassic. Coelophysis, Dilophosaurus, etc.

Same. That might be because as a child I've been to the museum in Stuttgart often and it was cool to learn there were larger carnivores in Germany. Little me was scared ;D

Kind of the same for me, the dinosaur fossils closest to where I grew up were Triassic theropod tracks. Coelophysis is the mascot for what was my local museum.

Concavenator

I recently was thinking about which dinosaurs I like the most. My favorite dinosaur is Allosaurus. And other dinosaurs that I really like as well are (not in any particular order):

Deinonychus
Styracosaurus
Deinocheirus
Concavenator
Alioramus / Qianzhousaurus
Diplodocus
Amargasaurus
Dilophosaurus

And regarding other prehistoric creatures, I don't have many, but I like Basilosaurus, and mosasaurs and azdarchids, specially Mosasaurus and Quetzalcoatlus

Sim

My top 10 favourite prehistoric animals are now:

1. Velociraptor mongoliensis
2. Rhamphorhynchus muensteri
3. Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis
4. Saurornithoides mongoliensis
5. Styxosaurus snowii
6. Buitreraptor gonzalezorum
7. Baryonyx walkeri
8. Stegosaurus stenops
9. Sinornithosaurus millenii
10. Scaphognathus crassirostris

But I have top 18 favourite prehistoric animals, so here's the rest:

11. Linheraptor exquisitus
12. Eudimorphodon ranzii
13. Muraenosaurus leedsii
14. Harpactognathus gentryii
15. Sinornithoides youngi
16. Xiongguanlong baimoensis
17. Gobisaurus domoculus
18. Kunpengopterus antipollicatus

Grimbeard

In no particular order:

- Boreopelta
I love ankylosaurs/nodosaurs and Boreopelta has the coolest shape of them all, especially the shoulder spikes and its head. The increadibly hight degree of presevation of the type specimen also really helps.

- Iguanodon
It the dinosaurs that "started it all". I especially love how much our restaurations have changed during the last 150 years: from giant rhino iguana to kangaroo-reptile to lean quadrupid/biped mix to early hadrosaur on steroids.

- Torvosaurus
I really like boxy Megalosaurid heads and their general body plan and Torvosaurs embodies this the most and best.

- Plateosaurus
THE german dinosaur. Similar to Iguanodon, I really like how much our understanding, perspective and restauration of this animals has changed over time. It also embodies the perfect transition form the theropod-like "starting point" to the huge later sauropod blueprint.

- Diplodocus
For me, Diplodocus embodies "sauropod" more than any other species. Also, "Time of the Titans" was my favorite Walking with Dinosaurs and Diplodocus played a prominent role in it.

- Wolly Mammoth:
112 years ago, an almost complete Mammoth skeleton has been found in an clay quarrie at the borders of my hometwon. To this day it's the most complete mammoth found in germany. The mammoth plays a role in our town, several mammoth statues are placed around town and many town events and one of our schools are named after it. So naturally, it has a special place in my heart.
It is usually place in the Geomuseum in Münster, but it was on loan in our small town museum during the Geomuseum renovation works. I have posted a picture in the spoiler below.
Spoiler
[close]

- Tiktaalik
You cant get more "transitional" form than with tiktaalik. I especially like its ridicilous flat, wide head. Its a shame that no good "regular" toy or model have been made yet, at least none that I am aware of.

- Deinonychus
As a child, Deinonychu embodied "fast, agilie, warm blooded dinosaur" for me and its discovery also kickstarted the dinosaur rennesaince of the 1970. Its a shame that Velociraptor and to a lesser extent Utharaptor has stolen its thunder quite a bit, which why I was so happy when Safari released their awesome model of it in 2020.

- Pachyrhinosaurus
My favorite ceratopsian. I especially like how modern paleoart tend to deptic it with wool-like protofeather-pelts (even if these are highly speculative at best).

- Opabinia
Early cambrian creatures are wonderfully weird and you cant get more weird and alien then Opabinia. I like how their is truly nothing comparable is alive today, the prime example of an "cambrian experiment".

Halichoeres

Interesting seeing people's choices. For me the concept of a favorite animal (or plant, etc.) doesn't really compute. It's usually whatever animal I just learned a cool thing about. I also don't have favorite movies or books. I guess I do have major clades that I favor over others, but it's usually exactly because they are diverse in form or ecology.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: