News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

'Himmapaanensis'

Started by Himmapaan, March 17, 2012, 04:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Who said anything needed to be serious? XD Naw, I get it. You need to show that you can do the serious pieces as well as the whimsical pieces. Good luck Niroot and gosh, Thesis lives in such a nice little forest. ;)

Himmapaan

Thank you, Liz.  :) I'm afraid it's true. Since I can't remove blinkers from some, I'm obliged to put the right stuff in front of them where they can see it.  ;)

Sadly, I couldn't finish this piece on time for the competition, so now I'm out of the running. I'm licking my wounds somewhat in having got as far as I have without being able to complete it. Still, one more piece for the saurian portfolio, at least.  :)

brontodocus

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 30, 2012, 05:48:24 PM
Thank you, Liz.  :) I'm afraid it's true. Since I can't remove blinkers from some, I'm obliged to put the right stuff in front of them where they can see it.  ;)

Sadly, I couldn't finish this piece on time for the competition, so now I'm out of the running. I'm licking my wounds somewhat in having got as far as I have without being able to complete it. Still, one more piece for the saurian portfolio, at least.  :)
Oh, sorry to read you couldn't complete it in time. :-\ It shows so wonderfully how not only your dinosaur drawings are wonderful but also the scenery you place them in. :) I assume the background was even more work than the Thecodontosaurus itself?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

Quote from: brontodocus on April 30, 2012, 08:16:32 PMOh, sorry to read you couldn't complete it in time. :-\ It shows so wonderfully how not only your dinosaur drawings are wonderful but also the scenery you place them in. :) I assume the background was even more work than the Thecodontosaurus itself?
It hurts a little after having got this far, but at least it's something substantial to add to the saurian portfolio. :)

Yes indeed, that was exactly the case with the environment. It was tricky finding good, close up pictures of the right plants in the books I have. And it's inconvenient and uncomfortable for me to refer to things on screen (I'm still on the look-out for that book you and John recommended).

Here is a glimpse at the inking. Drawing with a brush is just the most wonderful thing.  ^-^

Weaver

Those are the most beautiful rocks I have ever seen. And is that a.. oh, I can never remember the name of the flower-ish plant next to the smaller critter. Love it. The lines are so detailed and- OH. You've reminded me of my favorite printmaking-technique: Drypoint. ;) Which would translate nicely with your inking-style.

Aaaah. Look at all the little brush-strokes!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You know I just thought, looking at those rocks..your style really reminds me of the animated version of the Hobbit...no idea which animators were involved in that..but it's sweet just how similar your work and theirs are. It's a fantastic style to have. ;D

Himmapaan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2012, 05:31:59 PM
You know I just thought, looking at those rocks..your style really reminds me of the animated version of the Hobbit...no idea which animators were involved in that..but it's sweet just how similar your work and theirs are. It's a fantastic style to have. ;D

How interesting! I've never seen the animation, but having looked it up, I find this sentence in its Wikipedia entry:

QuoteAccording to Rankin, the visual style of the film took its basic cue from the early illustrations of Arthur Rackham.

Which explains it at once.  ;D As a few people may recall, the Golden Age illustrators are among my strongest influences. I also learned that the studio responsible for the film was a Japanese one, which I would say explains it further. So many visual artists of the turn of the twentieth century were in turn influenced by historical Japanese painting and Ukiyo-E prints in particular.

Thagirion

Great drawing. Hehe, nice to see you're enjoying the inking. I used to ink my stuff by hand like that.  I hated it.  Then I started inking digitally and still hated it.  Inking no matter what is my least favorite part of the art making process.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 02, 2012, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2012, 05:31:59 PM

How interesting! I've never seen the animation, but having looked it up, I find this sentence in its Wikipedia entry:

QuoteAccording to Rankin, the visual style of the film took its basic cue from the early illustrations of Arthur Rackham.

Which explains it at once.  ;D As a few people may recall, the Golden Age illustrators are among my strongest influences. I also learned that the studio responsible for the film was a Japanese one, which I would say explains it further. So many visual artists of the turn of the twentieth century were in turn influenced by historical Japanese painting and Ukiyo-E prints in particular.

Very interesting. I recall seeing Japanese names in the credits now..I'm a big fan of anime in general , but have seen so very little of it with this style.  Imagine how hard it would be to animate this style though ?  It already feels alive, but drawing it so many times in motion..wow.  :o

This discussion makes me recall a really old favorite of mine you might like, the charters are mostly simple, but it has wonderfully painted backgrounds . It's based on a  book with the same title, Taro the Dragon Boy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NXUTkYAEo

Himmapaan

Oh, I love that, Chris. The backgrounds are Sumi-e paintings come to life! So beautiful.

Yes, a finely drawn, highly illustrative style like that is hardly conducive to animation. That must be the only instance in which it has been adopted for the purpose.

On the other hand, I did do a ten-second animated sequence back in university. That's one hundred and twenty drawings. I simplified them, of course, but otherwise didn't do anything else differently. Yes, it was jolly well exhausting.  ;D

Thank you for your comment, Thagirion. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 03, 2012, 03:05:59 AM
Oh, I love that, Chris. The backgrounds are Sumi-e paintings come to life! So beautiful.

Yes, a finely drawn, highly illustrative style like that is hardly conducive to animation. That must be the only instance in which it has been adopted for the purpose.

On the other hand, I did do a ten-second animated sequence back in university. That's one hundred and twenty drawings. I simplified them, of course, but otherwise didn't do anything else differently. Yes, it was jolly well exhausting.  ;D

Thank you for your comment, Thagirion. :)

Really loved the music in it as well..especially Taro's song.. ;D

All I found was the Japanese version here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Kb3QwI5tE

Never heard it before..  :))

So no full drawn animated films from you then? lol   I can just imagine animating some of your dinosaurs like that though. The end result , to quote Jim Carrey : " Joy-gasam !"  ^-^

Totoro

I've been away from the forum for weeks and look what I've missed!  Niroot, you've drawn a complete scene with detailed background, and I echo the crowd here...it's just gorgeous!  Really wonderful work.  I can't wait to see it fully inked, and perhaps colored at some point.  Bravo, my friend!  Now I have to explore the rest of the forum and see what else I've missed!   ;)
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Arioch

I think our fellow Himmapan fell in a cauldron filled with talent when he was little and the effect is permanent on him. That´s the only explanation. 

Himmapaan

Aw, haha, like an artistic version of Obelix from the Asterix books?  :)) You'll get me into serious trouble if you keep saying such things, you know.  ;) ;D

Thank you so much, Curt. It took a competition for me to do a 'fuller' scene such as this. Otherwise I just wouldn't have found the opportunity.

Chris: oh, my gosh, now I see a longer clip, the backgrounds are just breathtaking! Is there a DVD of this available? I'd want it for those alone, but the animation looks really lovely too. Those animals are beautiful. Why don't they make hand-drawn animated films like this anymore?  :(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 04, 2012, 12:56:34 AM
Aw, haha, like an artistic version of Obelix from the Asterix books?  :)) You'll get me into serious trouble if you keep saying such things, you know.  ;) ;D

Thank you so much, Curt. It took a competition for me to do a 'fuller' scene such as this. Otherwise I just wouldn't have found the opportunity.

Chris: oh, my gosh, now I see a longer clip, the backgrounds are just breathtaking! Is there a DVD of this available? I'd want it for those alone, but the animation looks really lovely too. Those animals are beautiful. Why don't they make hand-drawn animated films like this anymore?  :(

I know right !? ;D  There is a region 1 dvd release here : http://www.amazon.com/Taro-Dragon-Boy-Kazuo-Kitamura/dp/B000CCD242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336102320&sr=8-1

I even bought a copy of the book it was based on : http://www.amazon.com/Taro-Dragon-Boy-Miyoko-Matsutani/dp/0706340485/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336102320&sr=8-4

Too much work I guess..and no one wants to invest the money, time and effort..it's another dying art form unfortunately. I think perhaps Miyazaki's films are done in the traditional style..but don't quote me on that :/

postsaurischian

Is there a DVD of this available? I'd want it for those alone, but the animation looks really lovely too. Those animals are beautiful.

We have a region code 2 version of the film in Germany, so I'm sure there's an English release as well.

Why don't they make hand-drawn animated films like this anymore?  :(
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2012, 04:34:57 AM
Too much work I guess..and no one wants to invest the money, time and effort..it's another dying art form unfortunately. I think perhaps Miyazaki's films are done in the traditional style..but don't quote me on that :/

Miyazaki's latest - GAKE NO UE NO PONYO (2008) - is 100% hand-drawn ....... and there are some beautifully drawn ancient fish in it ^-^.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 05, 2012, 07:21:50 AM
Is there a DVD of this available? I'd want it for those alone, but the animation looks really lovely too. Those animals are beautiful.

We have a region code 2 version of the film in Germany, so I'm sure there's an English release as well.

Why don't they make hand-drawn animated films like this anymore?  :(
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2012, 04:34:57 AM

Miyazaki's latest - GAKE NO UE NO PONYO (2008) - is 100% hand-drawn ....... and there are some beautifully drawn ancient fish in it ^-^.

I had thought all his films were done traditionally but recall exactly where I'd heard it. There are some great prehistoric fish in that one..I own pretty much all his films..;D   Now he just needs to do a dinosaur one.. ;)

Himmapaan

Thank you, Chris. I've put it on my wishlist. There doesn't seem to be a UK release of it, unfortunately, but no matter. Mine is a multi-region DVD player. :)

Yes, I think all of Miyazaki's films are entirely hand-drawn or almost so. I've seen and love many of them, but surprisingly don't own any yet.

Peculiar-looking sun...

Thagirion

Wow, that's great! I have a hard time drawing plants.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 05, 2012, 06:23:25 PM
Thank you, Chris. I've put it on my wishlist. There doesn't seem to be a UK release of it, unfortunately, but no matter. Mine is a multi-region DVD player. :)

Yes, I think all of Miyazaki's films are entirely hand-drawn or almost so. I've seen and love many of them, but surprisingly don't own any yet.

Peculiar-looking sun...

Cool, I'm sure you'll enjoy it !

That is interesting..a copper moon. ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: