News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: dragon53 on December 12, 2019, 04:32:02 PM
I'm probably skipping the Papo Giganotosaurus, so who makes the best Giganotosaurus?
Our own Dan of Dan's Dinosaurs is currently selling the impressively accurate Eofauna Giganotosaurus on eBay for $46 with free shipping.

Concavenator

As good as the sculpts may be, nowadays Papo is the company that comes out with the worst poses. I don't know why they're doing that, they didn't use such bad poses some years ago! Papo's Dimetrodon, Carnotaurus and Allosaurus have good poses, but it's now been some years of using very unrealistic and awkward poses. If these figures, despite being inaccurate, had better poses, they would look much better in my opinion.

I won't be getting any of these. I have the Eofauna Giganotosaurus which, in my opinion, not only is the best model of this dinosaur, but also one of the very best theropod figures in the market right now. The Chilesaurus is an interesting (and unexpected) choice, but with that pose, it's a pass for me. The detail looks sharp though, as expected from Papo. And since I already have the juvenile Pachycephalosaurus figure, there's no point in getting this Pachycephalosaurus Stygimoloch  :P

The repaints are nice,but I prefer the original version of the Velociraptor, which I got earlier this year. The repaint of the Parasaurolophus is really good, though we will see how good it will turn out to be when widely available. I think the best out of this lineup is the Megaloceros. However, I'm not very interested in prehistoric mammals.

Quote from: dragon53 on December 12, 2019, 04:32:02 PM
I'm probably skipping the Papo Giganotosaurus, so who makes the best Giganotosaurus?
The Eofauna version, easily. It's the most accurate, the detail is delicate, yet intricate and it has a natural colour scheme and a fantastic pose. It's one of my favorite figures in my whole collection. The PNSO version is also pretty good.

Ceratosaurus

S @Syndicate Bias I blame you! Jk but really why this pose! :-\

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 11, 2019, 02:50:11 AM
Granted, but it would have rainbow colours like the 2017 Acrocanthosaurus and ut's pose will be like the Cryolophosaurus.

I wish a papo Giganotosaurus next year too  :'(
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Loon

I'm not familiar with the Chilesaurus, but, the figure looks ok, except for the pose and the head, it looks like Oscar the Grouch. I feel like this is a figure better suited for Safari, and it'll be a thousand times better if they make one.

The Stygimoloch gives me "Amargasaurus" vibes. That's all I'll say about it...

And finally, the Giganotosaurus. I gotta say, this is the funniest way the Giganotosaurus hype could end. That pose is awful; and it makes an already, to me, uninteresting looking species even more generic looking. But, of all the Dinosaurs, this will probably be the only one I get...probably.

Here's my reason: Papo's figure really reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of paleoart, James Gurney's Giganotosaurus:

Either that, or I'm making up reasons to like this thing.

Finally, the Megaloceros, I quite like it. It's not a species I own, but will definitely pick it up.

suspsy

Having gotten over my initial excitement over the Megaloceros, I realize now that its colours are not in keeping with what we know of its appearance.

http://tetzoo.com/blog/2018/9/9/the-life-appearance-of-the-giant-deer-megaloceros

That said, I'll probably still snap it up if I come across it in a store, because goodness knows more variety in megafauna is needed. But it could have been better. If Safari has plans for one in the future, then I hope avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson or whoever is assigned the job is aware of that article above.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on December 12, 2019, 06:19:32 PM
If Safari has plans for one in the future, then I hope avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson or whoever is assigned the job is aware of that article above.

Oh, I hope that's in the cards. Safari's recent mammals have been spectacular and a Megaloceros from avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson would be beautiful. Of course, it would also relegate the only Papo figure from 2020 I like to the "decent placeholder" pile so many of their other figures I buy end up in.

GojiraGuy1954

I bet we'll be getting an orange repaint of the new "Stiggy"
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

dragon53

CONCAVENATOR:

Thanks for the info.
I don't want to hijack this Papo thread, but is there a thread that compares the Eofauna Giganotosaurus vs. the PNSO Gigiganotosaurus?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Loon

And finally, the
b]Giganotosaurus[/b]. I gotta say, this is the funniest way the Giganotosaurus hype could end. That pose is awful; and it makes an already, to me, uninteresting looking species even more generic looking. But, of all the Dinosaurs, this will probably be the only one I get...probably.

Here's my reason: Papo's figure really reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of paleoart, James Gurney's Giganotosaurus:

Either that, or I'm making up reasons to like this thing.

Finally, the Megaloceros, I quite like it. It's not a species I own, but will definitely pick it up.

😆 haha, I agree about your comments on the Giga- if only Papo went all the way and made it as close to that artwork as possible, then it would've been the best version.
Instead I can't  unsee the image of a person in a dinosaur costume  every time I see it!

Love the Megalocerus a lot, it's beautiful despite the mistakes in color.
I'm thankful that Papo filled the prehistoric mammal void That CollectA' and Safari left  next year.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on December 12, 2019, 05:54:59 PM
S @Syndicate Bias I blame you! Jk but really why this pose! :-\

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 11, 2019, 02:50:11 AM
Granted, but it would have rainbow colours like the 2017 Acrocanthosaurus and ut's pose will be like the Cryolophosaurus.

I wish a papo Giganotosaurus next year too  :'(

Dies inside

Someone take down that wish thread it cursed the Papo Giga 😞

If it hasn't been made I could take some comparison shots that are actually decent for the Gigas except I don't think you'd want to see my repainted PNSO Giga next to the Eofauna one. Gonna have to get a second PNSO Giga now 😑

Concavenator

Quote from: dragon53 on December 12, 2019, 07:02:46 PM
CONCAVENATOR:

Thanks for the info.
I don't want to hijack this Papo thread, but is there a thread that compares the Eofauna Giganotosaurus vs. the PNSO Gigiganotosaurus?

If you prefer accuracy, then you may be interested in Eofauna's, as it's probably more accurate than PNSO's. The PNSO version is also reasonably accurate, and the detail is more evident, similar to Papo in this way. The Eofauna one is richly detailed too, but is more delicate and subtle.

The PNSO version is more expensive (44.99£ on Everything Dinosaur)  than the Eofauna version (22.99£ on Everything Dinosaur).

Hope this helps

dragon53

CONCAVENATOR:

Thanks for the info.

Andre

Well, I don't have much to say, that hasn't already been covered.. the Giga's pose is disappointing.. The Chilesaurus really surprising, but not that appealing.. And something called my attention on the Stygi, It is clearly influenced by JW, and I think even the painting.. but looks like the colors are coming from the JW Sinoceratops..

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm really happy with the megaloceros. It looks like it was from the sculptor who did their other prehistoric mammals and most of the modern animals. I'll be sure to buy one when it comes out.

As for the giganotosaurus, it reminds me of the tyrannosaurus mount in Denver:
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Primeval12

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 12, 2019, 08:15:31 PM
I'm really happy with the megaloceros. It looks like it was from the sculptor who did their other prehistoric mammals and most of the modern animals. I'll be sure to buy one when it comes out.

As for the giganotosaurus, it reminds me of the tyrannosaurus mount in Denver:

Whoops, slipped on a banana again!

Atokensis

Very disappointed in the tripod pose of giganotosaurus, I will most likely not get it. Like how Papo has a standing/running version of their tyrannosaurus, I hope that they do another giganotosaurus in a non-tripod pose.

Only exception for me is if it is baby/juvenile giga and we get an adult version as limited edition, but I think I'm dreaming now.

Irritation

Giganotosaurus: I was afraid that it was going to have a pose like that because I saw how the neck of the teaser image was aligned. I love the details and the colors, but I'm getting the Acro-syndrome with the awkward pose. At least it's better than the Schleich repaint we got this year. 7/10

Stygimoloch: I absolutely love it and I'm glad they're going for a green/tan combo rather than most orange like the JW counterpart. 9/10

Chilesaurus: Quite a surprise. I looks so weird, yet I love it like that. From what I saw on some images, the creature had feathers on it which is not present on this figure, but that can be forgiven. 8.5/10

Repaints: I quite enjoy the Feathered Raptor which looks a lot like a bird. The Para reminds me of the 2018 Acrocanthosaurus with the tiger stripes. 7/10

Megaloceras: Another pleasant surprise and it looks really phenomenal. I kinda wished we got a Terror Bird, but we can always use more representations of this creature too. 9/10

Overall, I'm quite excited for next years releases and I feel like buying the Giga, Chilesaurus, Megaloceras and the Stygi the most.

Mattyonyx

I think I have nothing to say about the Giganotosaurus that hasn't been already said, besides the fact Vitae's Giganotosaurus is still my favorite one.
I'm surprised no one's talking about Stygimoloch's horns...Are they even accurate?

About the poses, I wonder if Papo receives some feedback about them: this trend is becoming more and more laughable, don't they think it could affect sales?

postsaurischian

I was looking forward to the Chilesaurus and I'm not too pedantic about scientific inaccuracy.
But a quadrupedal figure? No, that's too much. It's a pity! I will rather go for Lu Feng Shan's version.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: