News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

I never even cared about ever getting a Papo Giganotosaurus and even I am extremely disappointed. I can mentally justify their previous odd poses but they've gone way too far with this one. Its like they are pushing the limits of feasibility purely for the sake of it rather than for any aesthetic value. It would be forgivable if it looked cool, but it doesn't even do that, it just looks really lame with the little bent tail. Oh well.

The Chilesaurus looks alright.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Thanks for sharing that post about the Megaloceros. Fascinating stuff. I guess this means I can still wait for Safari Ltd and CollectA to do one, but nontheless I am still looking forward to getting this one. I am also wondering what scale it would be in. Would be cool to have it in scale with the recent Safari Ltd Woolly Rhinoceros and others in that scale. 1/30 I think?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Did a quick parody of Papo's increasingly ridiculous poses, here's what Papo's Majungasaurus might look like:

Yes, it's horrible and stupid, but, I have nothing better to do with my time.

stargatedalek

You joke but a theropod rubbing its neck on the ground would actually look like a pretty neat sort of display behavior.

Frankly I don't fully agree with all of the complaints about Papo's poses. As they do it yes it's annoying, but imagine if they had continued going like they did with the Tyrannosaurus, where they do the same animal in several different poses and then a baby. That could be a really cool unique gimmick that sets the brand apart.

It's not doing strange or dramatic poses that's the problem, the problem is that Papo is so obsessed with catering to the dramatic that they water down their own offerings. Nothing is dramatic when everything is.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, Papo's giganotosaurus after having analyzed it reminds me a lot with his posture of the "retro" image of the tyrannosaurus of the Humbold Museum in Schleich, however and I say it with all the respect in the world I think that many forum members are crucifying these figures (they have their reasons) with quite hard words and I would even say disqualifying.

It is true that it is not the Papo giganotosaurus that we expected, but we should make constructive criticisms such as those based on scientific assertions because unfortunately the sculptor is being metaphorically crucified sincerely we must be grateful that Papo has made a giganotosaurus as I have repeated before in another post.

On the other hand, as DTF members have commented, one is free to buy such figures as commented and free not to buy them, no one is fortunately not obliged to buy these figures, but in some ways the criticisms made to Papo's figures that are honestly better than many other brands from my honest point of view, regardless that Papo could have made more attractive figures.

That being said, I sincerely like the chilesaurus, stygimoloch and megaloceros of Papo 2020 with all its flaws. Perhaps the weakest figure is the giganotosaurus and I say it with all the pain in the world.

But we should not overqualify Papo's brand with a little heart since the work of the sculptor and collaborators goes there and feeds many families. Hard criticism but without being cruel and priming on the figures. I said the chilesaurus, stygimoloch and megaloceros very much and I will also buy the giganotosaurus for its size but there are figures of other brands that are more beautiful than this giganotosaurus without thereby affirming that it far exceeds other brands that I will not comment to stick to or limit myself to the subject we are talking about the prehistoric animals of Papo 2020.

The Prehistoric Traveler

That megaloceros is quite perfect. It will only take a very easy repaint to make it completely accurate.

Concavenator

Actually if you place the stock picture of the new Papo Giganotosaurus and the stock picture of the Papo Therizinosaurus next to each other, you will see that they have the exact same pose  :o

LeapingLaelaps

As much as I love Papo and their determination to do "action" poses (seriously, I'm so tired of figurines that are just static and standing there doing nothing) I'm just... Tired of their weird obsession with having things stand up like that.

There's SO many other things they could do instead of traditional standing poses:

Sitting
Laying
Rolling (like taking a dust bath or covering their body in mud)
Itching face with their claw (except those unfortunate dinos with small hands ::))
Jumping (which means it wouldn't need to be "sturdy" and able to stand since it would be flying through the air ;))

Even just something like licking their lips would make the figurine look more interesting without completely breaking their bones to force them into some strange humanoid pose.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I sympathize with Papo's artist, poses are a pain. You want every one to look a bit different and interesting and that's really hard to do. I am actually OK with the Giga, but I like retro-saurs too.  I could see it rearing back to attack something..animals get into very weird often uncomfortable positions all the time. 

If it was in a horizontal pose I fear it would never stand on it's own. That said a competent artist can alter one to a horizontal position for anyone that really desires it.

Stygi looks great.  The Chilea was a surprise, yeah the wrist is wrong but it's Papo not Safari.   Repaints are ok, never got the feathered raptor before, so maybe now..I just dont like that lower jaw for some reason.   Para's stripes are cool, but why not in green, blue, ect?  We've had a couple orange dinos with tiger stripes already.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 12, 2019, 11:10:03 PM
You joke but a theropod rubbing its neck on the ground would actually look like a pretty neat sort of display behavior.

Frankly I don't fully agree with all of the complaints about Papo's poses. As they do it yes it's annoying, but imagine if they had continued going like they did with the Tyrannosaurus, where they do the same animal in several different poses and then a baby. That could be a really cool unique gimmick that sets the brand apart.

It's not doing strange or dramatic poses that's the problem, the problem is that Papo is so obsessed with catering to the dramatic that they water down their own offerings. Nothing is dramatic when everything is.
I honestly like the pose of their Acro, though maybe that's partly because Rebor's is in such a standard pose that having two in very similar poses would've been redundant lol.  But the Acro is very much in a defensive posture.  The rearing pose of the Giga doesn't look good.  The sculpt and paint are good, but I wouldn't be able to justify it with that pose.  But Giga isn't exactly among my favorites, so that doesn't hurt too bad.

That Stygimoloch though!!  I am so pleased to see that, can't wait to see more.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on December 12, 2019, 11:45:44 PM
As much as I love Papo and their determination to do "action" poses (seriously, I'm so tired of figurines that are just static and standing there doing nothing) I'm just... Tired of their weird obsession with having things stand up like that.

There's SO many other things they could do instead of traditional standing poses:

Sitting
Laying
Itching face with their claw (except those unfortunate dinos with small hands ::))
Jumping (which means it wouldn't need to be "sturdy" and able to stand since it would be flying through the air ;))

Even just something like licking their lips would make the figurine look more interesting without completely breaking their bones to force them into some strange humanoid pose.

Your name gave me this idea, lay it on it's back with another attacking from above, looks more sensible that way.

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 12, 2019, 11:52:41 PM

Sitting
Laying

Your name gave me this idea, lay it on it's back with another attacking from above, looks more sensible that way.

Okay, now I want to see a set of figurines in those poses :P

Takama

Quote from: Loon on December 12, 2019, 06:16:54 PM

And finally, the Giganotosaurus. I gotta say, this is the funniest way the Giganotosaurus hype could end. That pose is awful; and it makes an already, to me, uninteresting looking species even more generic looking. But, of all the Dinosaurs, this will probably be the only one I get...probably.

Here's my reason: Papo's figure really reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of paleoart, James Gurney's Giganotosaurus:

Either that, or I'm making up reasons to like this thing.

Your not the only one who noticed the simalaritys

Just goes to show that Papo is stilll  Takeing inspiration from other sources.   

The Knew that theropod had to be a giganotosaurus. there was no way it was another LARGE Theropod, Or A Tarbosaurus as others have been Speculateing.

As for the pose.  I cant say im too suprised. I Mean,   Papo has been makeing sure that there bipedal animal models dont need to rely soley on there feet like a real animal should for the last few years, because the plastic will warp overtime. But i will admit, this ones pose is disapointing. 

Syndicate Bias

I need to see how this Giga's head looks on a standard pose

Loon

Sitting
Laying

I don't mind the boring standing still poses, I think Safari does a good job of implying life and movement, but keeping the toy "neutral" enough. Papo's poses are so extreme; they look like the heroes on an action movie poster.

Also, I would adore a sitting/resting figure. how many recent figures have been in a sitting position? Like one, and that was CollectA's Daspletosaurus, which came out a while ago.

Mattyonyx

Speaking of inspiration...

terrorchicken

I was kinda disappointed that the giganto and chile, as good as their sculpts are, were given such awful poses. But then the megaloceros, ooooh! That makes up for everything! Finally a Papo prehistoric mammal that doesn't look like a goofy Disney character!
anyway,  I already have the Eofauna giganto so I don't need this giganto.  I plan to get the cryolopho eventually and it has the exact same pose, I dont need 2 Papo theropods with that pose. The stygimoloch is nice.

Gwangi

People have wanted a Giganotosaurus from Papo for a very long time, so I understand the disappointment here. Personally, I kinda like it. But like Blade I also like retro-saurs and it reminds me of that, kind of like the T. rex in the movie Carnosaur or something. I like the head sculpt especially. I might get it but I haven't bought a Papo model in years, I think they're overpriced and Safari ends up taking priority.

Faelrin

Come to think of it this is like the fourth fifth figure in this pose, so it is starting to get stale too. The Cryolophosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and standing tiger all have a pose like this. Edit: Forgot about the Baryonyx which also has similar splayed arms as this appears to have. Perhaps the two of them could debate over who has the more controversial pose?

Honestly I feel like if the legs were rotated it would have a fresh pose (though might be top heavy) as it would be looking down, as if it were to eat something. I can probably pull something off in a little bit just out of curiosity of how it would look.

Edit: Excuse how rushed this was in Gimp, and the bare amount of effort, but hopefully this gets the idea of what I mean across:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Honestly, this could all have been avoided if there wasn't such a stigma towards stands. I feel like if Papo wants a dynamic pose, that isn't exact same as all their other dynamic poses, that would be the best way to do it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: