News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivántirrophus

Maybe the most detailed head of all giganotosaurus in the market... on the worst body pose of all giganotosaurus.  ;D

Shonisaurus

Honestly, Papo's giganotosaurus looks pretty good, and I signed to have this figure removed, but it is better than his prototype. The head looks quite realistic, but the size is still too small, I think Mojo's giganotosaurus is much larger comparatively speaking or at least bulkier, but that giganotosaurus looks pretty good.

I think said figure is even in the remarkable figure range and I sincerely like it and hope to receive it in my collection.

Concavenator

Papo's figures have a charm that makes them irresistible. Who would have thought I was going to say this but... I like the Giganotosaurus. I'll admit, as a figure, it looks great (it looks better than the promo images, despite what everyone is saying). But then you realize it's meant to be a dinosaur figure, an animal that did live and that a figure of it should be based on the available information we have about it and yeah...it's atrocious. It just can't be compared to Eofauna's gorgeous version.

Same with the Chilesaurus. This hasn't been a good year for Papo at all, in my opinion. The best figure is the Megaloceros and it isn't even a dinosaur. I don't understand why this year was so bad after last year, when they released what I consider the best prehistoric animal model they have ever done (together with their Styracosaurus), their Gorgosaurus (gotta admit, David Krentz's style mixed with Papo's looks great   ::) ) . Even their Pentaceratops, which also suffered from the imposible posse issue (I know it has an alternative pose, but that pose is unrealistic too) was majestic.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Narutoceratops on August 15, 2020, 09:37:49 AM
Papo's figures have a charm that makes them irresistible. Who would have thought I was going to say this but... I like the Giganotosaurus. I'll admit, as a figure, it looks great (it looks better than the promo images, despite what everyone is saying). But then you realize it's meant to be a dinosaur figure, an animal that did live and that a figure of it should be based on the available information we have about it and yeah...it's atrocious. It just can't be compared to Eofauna's gorgeous version.

Same with the Chilesaurus. This hasn't been a good year for Papo at all, in my opinion. The best figure is the Megaloceros and it isn't even a dinosaur. I don't understand why this year was so bad after last year, when they released what I consider the best prehistoric animal model they have ever done (together with their Styracosaurus), their Gorgosaurus (gotta admit, David Krentz's style mixed with Papo's looks great   ::) ) . Even their Pentaceratops, which also suffered from the imposible posse issue (I know it has an alternative pose, but that pose is unrealistic too) was majestic.

This is exactly my problem with Papo.  I know I haven't seen the Giganotosaurus in person, but I can safely say that I much prefer Eofauna's version, and I would recommend that to anyone who's prepared to fork out that extra bit of money on it.  Then again, Papo's 'movie monster' aesthetic isn't to my taste.  I acknowledge that their models are beautifully sculpted and I can certainly see the appeal, especially if you grew up with the original Jurassic Park movies.  If we're talking sculptures that represent a reconstruction of an animal that once existed, their mammals are just so much better than their Mesozoic reptiles and stem-birds.

Quote from: Stegotyranno on August 14, 2020, 09:19:46 PM
No i meant like a joke or a favour, i dont know. Im good at customizing so i wanted to try it with just the head only

Maybe you could mount it on a little shield like a taxidermy specimen. :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Kapitaenosavrvs

QuoteI can safely say that I much prefer Eofauna's version, and I would recommend that to anyone who's prepared to fork out that extra bit of money on it.
avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod

I think, thats quite a Thing. The Price differences. Here in Germany, The EoFauna and the Papo Giganotosaurus cost about the same. It's ~25 Euros (Range from 22 - 28 Euros). It was the Same with the Lim. Spino. I got it for 39,99 at Urzeitshop. Of course i had a "normal" Shipping price of 4,50 Euros. I guess, these are the Prices Papo thought of and i think they are more than okay for a big Figure with that Detail.

On the other Hand it is quite hard to get other Stuff than the big known Companys over here. ALso, Safari is a bit more Expansive, but not that much. So often i heard ppl complaining about the Prices. "60 Bucks plus high shipping is too expensive for that Spino!" It is. But thats not the fault of the Company.

I saw, that the EoFauna Figures are at 40 Dollars in the US. Boy.

But yes, The EoFauna is quite a thing. But i also like the Papo Giganotosaurus as a diffenrent Figure, as i said before. Not Scientific, but great.

QuoteMaybe you could mount it on a little shield like a taxidermy specimen.

I did that with a Standing Papo Rex head (Bootleg) :D Painted it bronze. Looks nice.

Sarapaurolophus

Never thought the Chilli would be my favorite from Papo this year. I like the size and details, just need to wait until it drops in price. I also assume they just reused the Chilesaurus' colors on the Parasaurolophus to cut costs.

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on August 13, 2020, 07:08:42 PM
Oh! Thank you. I did not know that, for i do not like Rupi that much. I am Sorry to say that.

Why be sorry? It's ok to dislike his attitude. I personally think he is often just going by his own tastes no matter what and then works himself up. Like his ten minute rant on how horrible and girlish it is to give a dinosaur a pink eye and mouth. I was sitting there like: "Ok, calm down".

I love watching his vids because he shows the models in detail and does a lot of comparisons to other figures. If he annoys me I just mute the vid ;D

Shonisaurus

A @Arrow54 Thanks for your video and welcome to the DTF. Papo's giganotosaurus has a very detailed head, it is honestly more detailed than its tyrannosaurus counterpart, it reminds me of the cryolophosaurus in its pose.

Arrow54

Thanks  ;) usually I don't communicate but I check this forum for actuality .
Yes its a great sculpture for me . More beautiful in face to face that promotion pics

Stegotyranno420

The giga and rex just remind me of dwight and michael from the Office,

Spoiler
and the spino in the back is kevin
[close]

triceratops83

Everythingdinosaur has the Giganotosaurus and Parasaurolophus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

japfeif

To tell the truth, I actually like the Giga a bit more after seeing the video than after seeing it in the promo pics. Still a lousy pose but it's really not as horrible to me as it appeared in the beginning.
Just could have been so much better......

Shonisaurus

True, it could have been much better, but it could also have been much worse I understand that the giganotosaurus is much of the best of what I could have expected, what spoils that figure is the pose but honestly his sculpture is impeccable in what hyper-realistic as are most of Papo's figures of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals.

Libraraptor

Could theropods stand that way? I don´t think so.

SidB

Then there's the disproportions of head and tail as well as the impossibly splayed lizard-like legs. If one divorces one's mind from the thought that it is a real dinosaur, then it has definite potential as an almost purely imaginary beast. As such, it comes into its own as something rather spectacular and indeed impressive with its remarkable detail and flair. I can see myself liking it in this fantasy context, but not in any other.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 07, 2020, 09:12:03 AM
Could theropods stand that way? I don´t think so.

In the documentary "The Valley of Gwangi" they clearly showcased that it was possible. So!

KeU

D @Dino Scream3232
Plug for Greg on his review on the PAPO Giganotosaurus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUQl0A8ztg
His comparison game is one of the best among the youtubers.

Shonisaurus

My Papo giganotosaurus is already reserved in my Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences, I will pick it up this Saturday, nice video and nice comparison of dinosaur figures with the giganotosaurus honestly the spinosaurus of the same brand of Papo far exceeds this giganotosaurus be honest, the spinosaurus is light years in terms of quality and perfection to Papo's giganotosaurus.

By the way, will Papo's stygimloch and megaloceros take a long time to arrive in stores?

terrorchicken

why does that goofy upright stance look so awful on the giganoto but doesn't bother me as much on the cryolophosaurus? :-\

Carnoking

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 10, 2020, 01:27:15 AM
why does that goofy upright stance look so awful on the giganoto but doesn't bother me as much on the cryolophosaurus? :-\

I've wondered this too. Papo has done a lot of rearing poses, none of which have bothered me like this giga does. I think at the end of the day, the giga just looks stiff. When you look at some of Papo's other upright figures (some, not all), it still feels like the more vertical posture captures an organic motion. In the case of the cryo, it looks as though it's rearing back from something it's seen below it. It could be an adversary, a prey item, or something that's startled it. I think it works because the arms are largely at rest and the legs are still close to the body. This giga just looks splayed. The legs are spread in a bizarre squatting posture, and the arms are wide open in a pantomime hug. Unlike some of the other rearing postures that show an unorthodox pose, this one has a design that definitely feels not just inorganic, but entirely manufactured.
That's the best way I can describe it at the moment, I'm not sure if it makes sense to anyone else, but it's the best conclusion i've drawn as to why this is the one I can't abide.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: