News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prehistoric_82

japfeif

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 15, 2021, 03:13:37 PM
avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon comparing the different Plateosaurus figures here, I'd say that your Plateosaurus is MPC judging by the arm posture. But I don't generally collect these and I'm far from an expert. Maybe J @japfeif could offer a more confident ID?

Nice collection of Platys there!   :D

Hmmmm...actually kind of a toughie. That platy definitely has the correct posture, arm, & leg position as the MPC Platy, but I have never seen an MPC figure of any dino in that two-tone color. As each figure was made in a mold and the color added, there's really no way that color situation would have came about. Even if a different color was added to the base color of the mold (again, something I've never seen in an MPC figure), the result would be a swirled or marbled effect like that seen in some of the Marx dinos, not this neat split color pattern.

I'd say this is either a knockoff figure or perhaps one that part of the figure was left in the direct sunlight a LONG time! (unlikely). Now, it's POSSIBLE it is some sort of MPC anomaly (they DO happen from time to time, as in most figures) but that would be a really rare occurrence & make for a rare piece.
It's certainly not a "typical" representative of an MPC Platy. It's certainly neat though! But without actually seeing it in the flesh, I'm more inclined to say it's a knockoff of some sort.

Libraraptor

I see two Lontic figures, the Hypsilophodon and that Amargasaurus. No clue about the others.

prehistoric_82

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 15, 2021, 08:20:02 PM
I see two Lontic figures, the Hypsilophodon and that Amargasaurus. No clue about the others.

Brill, thank you  :)

Just checked and the other one of the 3 (Saltasaurus?) says AAA underneath.

The glyptodon is on its way in the post so hopefully once it arrives it may have some identifiers on the underside..

Fembrogon

Quote from: japfeif on May 15, 2021, 05:49:21 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 15, 2021, 03:13:37 PM
avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon comparing the different Plateosaurus figures here, I'd say that your Plateosaurus is MPC judging by the arm posture. But I don't generally collect these and I'm far from an expert. Maybe J @japfeif could offer a more confident ID?

Nice collection of Platys there!   :D

Hmmmm...actually kind of a toughie. That platy definitely has the correct posture, arm, & leg position as the MPC Platy, but I have never seen an MPC figure of any dino in that two-tone color. As each figure was made in a mold and the color added, there's really no way that color situation would have came about. Even if a different color was added to the base color of the mold (again, something I've never seen in an MPC figure), the result would be a swirled or marbled effect like that seen in some of the Marx dinos, not this neat split color pattern.

The Platy is solid red in person; I think the shadows throw off the color a bit in the photos.
I'll assume it's MPC right now; thanks for the help and the compliments!

Duna

Quote from: prehistoric_82 on May 15, 2021, 03:30:19 PM
Hi, could anyone help me identify these?

many thanks

https://i.imgur.com/pF1G8et.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9hpfogn.jpg
The Glyptodon is from Wild Republic but looks repainted.
The black diplodocus/apatosaurus is from AAA, there are more figures of that size in the collection. I have most of them, lovely vintage figures made of soft rubber.

prehistoric_82

Quote from: Duna on May 15, 2021, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: prehistoric_82 on May 15, 2021, 03:30:19 PM
Hi, could anyone help me identify these?

many thanks

https://i.imgur.com/pF1G8et.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9hpfogn.jpg
The Glyptodon is from Wild Republic but looks repainted.
The black diplodocus/apatosaurus is from AAA, there are more figures of that size in the collection. I have most of them, lovely vintage figures made of soft rubber.

Ah thank you. Yes they are lovely aren't they. We had about 8 of the mini AAA dinosaurs at one point and I presumed it was the set. Never had this one though with the raised bumps on his back, very cute!  :))

Fembrogon

I'm curious what's going on with this Styracosaurus:

As far as I can tell, this is an MPC figure; but the frill horns look like they've been removed during the molding process, deliberately or accidentally. Is this just a quirky figure, or is it actually some sort of knockoff?

Crackington

Hi avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, yes I think that's the MPC Styracosaurus too. Looks like it may have been customised to make it look like a Monoclonius, keeping to the retro theme?

It's actually quite a nice looking old figure.

Gwangi

I don't think it's customized, I think that's the actual product. I see them pop up in lots on occasion. There's one in this lot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154437732636?hash=item23f534c91c:g:kWMAAOSwOkxgiMx8

Fembrogon

Is this Stego an original sculpt or a knockoff? It looks pretty nice, but the "unbranded" label makes me suspicious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363434236426

Lanthanotus

Looks pretty much like Rebor`s latest Stegosaurus, just the head is lowered a bit.

ITdactyl

Ouch... another Rebor got bootlegged?

SidB

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 18, 2021, 05:58:05 AM
Ouch... another Rebor got bootlegged?
Yeah, they seem to get more than their share of bootlegs. though Schleich and Papo aren't far behind. I find it interesting that, apart from the big museum line Spinosaurus, PNSO doesn't seem to me to be afflicted by this maladie. Wonder if they are protected in some way.

ITdactyl

Quote from: SidB on June 18, 2021, 06:50:08 AM
Yeah, they seem to get more than their share of bootlegs. though Schleich and Papo aren't far behind. I find it interesting that, apart from the big museum line Spinosaurus, PNSO doesn't seem to me to be afflicted by this maladie. Wonder if they are protected in some way.

My knee-jerk assumption is that PNSO, as a Chinese company is able to call on the full force of the native IP protection laws. 
But I remembered that both Hasbro (US) and Bandai (Japan) have both sued and stopped (with some success) the production of bootlegged Transformers and Gundam respectively.

I guess the other dinosaur toy companies just haven't pursued legal courses of action.

SidB

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 19, 2021, 12:06:09 AM
Quote from: SidB on June 18, 2021, 06:50:08 AM

My knee-jerk assumption is that PNSO is a Chinese company, and they are able to call on the full force of the native IP protection laws. 
But I remembered that both Hasbro (US) and Bandai (Japan) have both sued and stopped (with some success) the production of bootlegged Transformers and Gundam respectively.

I guess the other dinosaur toy companies just haven't pursued legal courses of action.
I suspect that your "guess" is likely to be true. Perhaps the practical hurdles are just too much for other, smaller companies (like Rebor) to overcome or maybe they've simply made "enough" money from the originals that they are relatively indifferent to pursuing some sort of legal satisfaction through Chinese or other legal channels.

Fembrogon

I recently acquired a bunch of cavemen which were listed as Imperial in brand; each one does have "Imperial" stamped on the bottom.

I don't know much about Imperial and I haven't seen much written about them online, so can anyone verify this is indeed the same Imperial we know and love from our childhoods?

Crackington

Not sure avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, but Imperial seemed to have quite diverse fare, cheap and cheerful. Perhaps, it was an umbrella brand, sourcing figures from different companies?

The figures are in some interesting poses though, like prehistoric Olympians! One looks like he is about to hurl a giant doughnut!

Fembrogon

Yeah, it took me a bit to figure out what in the world he was holding. I suppose it's probably a wheel, but he sure is carrying it like a weapon!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: