News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japfeif

Quote from: Duna on September 28, 2021, 09:36:17 PM
Quote from: Duna on September 24, 2021, 09:23:24 PM
Any info on these?

I have the stegosaurus in grey. I found this pic of some more figures.

Any idea J @japfeif ? I couldnt find them in your book. 😅

Hmmm... Well, I am not 100% certain on this, but I believe they are part of a set from the early 90s called "Dino Brites". These guys were made by a company called Panosh Group, and were originally called D.I.N.O. Mites. I think they all had a white strips down their back (that may have even glowed in the dark) & were made in bright colors in the late 1980s. There were I believe 48 dinos in the set.

In around 1991 some of them were repackaged & re-released under the name "Dino Brites", under the umbrella company name of Happiness Express (but I'm pretty sure it was still Panosh, as they were basically reissued Panosh figures). I think there were about 30 in this set. True to their name, them were made in very bright neon colors...reds, blue, yellow, green....and had no white stripe. Apparently this company also made some larger, Troll-like plush dinos with clothes & hair that were also called "Dino Brites".

I am pretty sure that you have some of the "Dino Bright" Panosh recasts here.
Hope this helps! At least it might give you a place to start if you wanted to research them out a bit.
Jeff

Duna

Hi J @japfeif and thank you.
I've search for those "Panosh" and "Dino mites/brites" and I found these picture of the collection:

Definitely the "brontosaurus" and the "diatryma" look like the same sculpts, but if you look closer, they aren't, there are little subtle differences (head, legs, back) and the "protoceratops" too but in this case the yellow "Dino Brite" version is more different as it has no detail on the skin. The stegosaurus has no details on the Brites version, either. Tyrannosaurus has different mouth and arms, but same pose. It looks like if one or other have been inspired in the other.

I found a seller in a Spanish second had web that was selling these. The "allosaurus" is still different from the Brites version, and the grey "psittacosaurus" or what it may be, does not appear in the Brites. It's a new sculpt. By the way, the green diatryma in my group is way bigger than the other figures, and made of metallic plastic (that looks too much alike the material Yolanda used for their figures). This seller's metallic green "iguanodon-or-so" is made of the same material and bigger, as the diatryma.
By the way, I bought the 3 I didn't have and asked the seller about them, and he said that they came as prizes in La Menorquina ice-creams in 1993. I found some of them (just like these) on sale in other webs, too, but no more different models. This is a pic of the ice-cream they came in (vainilla icecream with toffee sauce and a chocolate egg on top). The ice-cream is still on sale (I don't know what figure comes inside now, it's not a very common brand where I live).

japfeif

Quote from: Duna on October 01, 2021, 03:22:30 PM
Hi J @japfeif and thank you.
I've search for those "Panosh" and "Dino mites/brites" and I found these picture of the collection:

Definitely the "brontosaurus" and the "diatryma" look like the same sculpts, but if you look closer, they aren't, there are little subtle differences (head, legs, back) and the "protoceratops" too but in this case the yellow "Dino Brite" version is more different as it has no detail on the skin. The stegosaurus has no details on the Brites version, either. Tyrannosaurus has different mouth and arms, but same pose. It looks like if one or other have been inspired in the other.

Hi!
Hmmm.....Yes you are correct...they are not 100% exact. I wasn't positive, just at first glance they appeared to be the Panosh Dino Brites figures. As you said, it does look like they were inspired by the Panosh figures, but the lack of detail on the Panosh dinos compared to the ones you have is pretty different. The poses are very similar though.
Sorry, I have to admit I'm stumped! Sometimes these little dinos that one comes across can be a be tough to identify...I hope you can get an ID on these critters!!!!  :)

Fembrogon

This is an interesting bunch I stumbled across on eBay; I'm assuming they're "3rd party" but they don't look strictly like any other brand-name toys I can think of.

ebay.com/itm/402766746790

I admit, I kind of like the Spino.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 22, 2021, 06:18:53 PM
This is an interesting bunch I stumbled across on eBay; I'm assuming they're "3rd party" but they don't look strictly like any other brand-name toys I can think of.

ebay.com/itm/402766746790

I admit, I kind of like the Spino.

Dimetrodon is a Chap-Mei bootleg (or repainted..).

Others are from Lontic (but this brand also uses different names..)

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/T-Rex-Spinosaurus-caja-dinosaurio-Surtido/dp/B078ZGXJLG?language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/Gizmovine-Dinosaurs-Educational-Triceratops-Velociraptor/dp/B07SLYYVT5/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=lontic+dinosaurs&qid=1635157968&sr=8-5

bmathison1972

I brought this up on the Eofauna thread, but thought I'd ask here too. In my collection, I have the CollectA Gomphotherium databased as G. angustidens, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how I came to that conclusion. Does that sound right?

I ask because I only plan on getting the Eofauna proboscidean if it is a new genus or species :).

BrontoScorpio

Can anyone write for me in Japanese the two bottom lines in the upper picture ?
I know it is probably SEGA made, some other line than the ones in the bottom picture - but what exactly ?

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Anyone have any idea what toy line this oddity might be from?
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on November 12, 2021, 08:33:22 PM
Anyone have any idea what toy line this oddity might be from?

Would totally fit into the original ideas of the Masters of the Universe scenario from 1983 onwards, however it is definetly not. Sorry, no clue.

Crackington

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 10, 2021, 12:01:16 PM
I know it is probably SEGA made, some other line than the ones in the bottom picture - but what exactly ?

Hi avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio , yes these are Sega.  I used to have them but traded them with Dr Admin. They are known as the "Great Dinosaurs", somewhat ironically due to their tiny size!

I took pictures of them before I swapped them for Dinotoycollector:

https://www.dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Company=Sega&Line=The%20Great%20Dinosaurs

Fembrogon

Has anybody heard of "NKOK Wow World"? I stumbled across this eBay listing and was intrigued. The therizinosaur is clearly taking inspiration from Gabriel Lio's art again (albeit better than Schleich):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115074340531

Seijun

Surprisingly well done mystery diplodocus toy at a local restaurant.

Link for pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V9v2inQMmNLWoRTM6
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Seijun on November 29, 2021, 01:36:50 AM
Surprisingly well done mystery diplodocus toy at a local restaurant.

Link for pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V9v2inQMmNLWoRTM6

Looks like a small version/copy of the Favorite Series 1 Apatosaurus.

Fembrogon

It also looks like it's probably a figure from that 3rd-party company/seller who does some other figures, original or "inspired", in both mini form and mid-range scale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254308075953

Honestly their figures look pretty nice, even if a few of them are more obviously derived. One of these days I just might buy a few of them myself.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Crackington on November 13, 2021, 10:24:33 AM
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 10, 2021, 12:01:16 PM
Hi avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio , yes these are Sega.  I used to have them but traded them with Dr Admin. They are known as the "Great Dinosaurs", somewhat ironically due to their tiny size!
I took pictures of them before I swapped them for Dinotoycollector:
https://www.dinotoycollector.com/Browse/Browse.php?Company=Sega&Line=The%20Great%20Dinosaurs
Thanks, but I knew that already from the writings on the cover/wrapper.
Since the term "SEGA The Great Dinosaurs" (  セガ  大恐竜 ) refers also to other lines -

I want to know specificly what is written in Japanese on the cover.
But, I think I found it : 「三角パック入りプチフィギュア」("Petite figure with triangle pack") by Hirokazu Tokugawa.

tinyvinyldinos

Who is this little man?

I found him trawling through eBay for K&M minis (and Reuben's Ichthyosaurus) and he's just so charming!

UK

Anyone know the maker of this spinosaurus?

Justin_

It looks like a one-off sculpture. The style is a bit like the Paleo Creatures line, but I think the full range are on that Everything Dinosaur link.

stoneage

Quote from: Justin_ on December 11, 2021, 06:29:42 PM
It looks like a one-off sculpture. The style is a bit like the Paleo Creatures line, but I think the full range are on that Everything Dinosaur link.
Does anyone know what happened to their creator?

BrontoScorpio

Maybe it's from the 'Dinosaur-Island Dinosaur desktop series' - The link bare only a partial view.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: