News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Still nothing on the fascinating little Huayangosaurus pictured above? It kinda has a Dinosaur King quality to it, but bigger.

crankydinosaur

Quote from: SBell on May 03, 2013, 04:35:31 PM
Quote from: crankydinosaur on May 03, 2013, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on April 28, 2013, 08:14:38 PM

Does anyone have an idea what recent or extinct animal this figure might represent? Or is it just a fantasy creature?
It says "HIL" and "(c)1998 HINSTAR" and "Made in China" at the belly.

yeah you're right, now that I look at it again the fang is to far back (should be up more where the canine teeth fall) also the tooth is facing the wrong way. I wonder what it could be then hmmm...

also I wonder what other goodies HINSTAR has in the way of prehistoric animals

I would say that looks like a Coryphodon. Which OMG CORYPHODON!!! How big is he? I am now on a quest to find one for myself!

I would want one too--but the tusk seems a little extreme for a Coryphodon. And certainly too far back.

Jetoar

Quote from: Roselaar on May 01, 2013, 12:53:47 PM
Thanks for the explanations, that's two down. I'm eagerly awaiting those pictures. :)

I'm most intrigued by the purple Stegosaurid. All it says on the bottom is 'Huayangosaurus'. No year of release, no brand name, not even 'made in China'. And it looks far too good to be a Chinasaur anyway.

I think that the Huayangosaurus is of the same brand that Diplodocus, because they are inspired in paleo art  ^-^.I will share images  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roselaar

Quote from: Jetoar on May 04, 2013, 12:50:52 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on May 01, 2013, 12:53:47 PM
Thanks for the explanations, that's two down. I'm eagerly awaiting those pictures. :)

I'm most intrigued by the purple Stegosaurid. All it says on the bottom is 'Huayangosaurus'. No year of release, no brand name, not even 'made in China'. And it looks far too good to be a Chinasaur anyway.

I think that the Huayangosaurus is of the same brand that Diplodocus, because they are inspired in paleo art  ^-^.I will share images  ^-^.

Which Diplodocus do you mean, the one I asked about in this thread? It's definitely not the same brand as the Huayangosaurus, they have almost nothing in common design wise.

Libraraptor

Quote from: crankydinosaur on May 03, 2013, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on April 28, 2013, 08:14:38 PM

Does anyone have an idea what recent or extinct animal this figure might represent? Or is it just a fantasy creature?
It says "HIL" and "(c)1998 HINSTAR" and "Made in China" at the belly.

I would say that looks like a Coryphodon. Which OMG CORYPHODON!!! How big is he? I am now on a quest to find one for myself!

It is about as big as a Bullyland Andrewsarchus or a small AAA Entelodont.

sauroid

Roselaar, i just found out that goofy-faced retro dippy is from ELC/AAA. i just got one myself (among other ELC dinos).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on May 07, 2013, 06:59:43 PM
Roselaar, i just found out that goofy-faced retro dippy is from ELC/AAA. i just got one myself (among other ELC dinos).

Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Still nobody who can identify the Huayangosaurus? I find it ever more intriguing...

Seijun

Safari Limited Edition Tyrannosaurus in faux bronze??

Every one that I have ever seen (a grand total of 2 or 3) has been light brown with dark stripes. This bronze guy even comes in a box that shows the normal brown trex on the cover. Maybe a repaint? I emailed Safari. He looks better in bronze than light brown, IMO.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tyrantqueen

Splonkadumpocus

I'd like to know what genus this chinasaur is supposed to represent. I initially thought it was Herrerasaurus based on its theropod features (reduced hallux, very long legs, gracile form) and the five-fingered hand plus primitive osteoderms suggest an early theropod if it is one, I'm thinking it might actually be Ornithosuchus because of its osteoderms and the fact that the hands are much more like crocodilian hands. The three-toed feet, though...

Anyway, I'm going with Herrerasaurus for now, but if anyone has any info that could shed some light on what this is, I'd appreciate it.

tyrantqueen

Could just be a generic theropod. Most chinasaurs usually are.

phrog

Hey, I dont know if these have been posted yet but I was wondering if one of you knew which company started making these small, cheap dinos.

There were 24 in the set...underneath they just say "MADE IN CHINA" with a letter-number code, like C3 or A2
A few of these models seem to have gotten a new paint job for Wild Republic's Dino Tube:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/wild-republic-tube-dinosaurs/212-8006.prd
Did WR make the "originals" too?

SBell

Those figures (there are 2 different but related sets) are minis made by Imperial, although they show up everywhere. Their presence in WR tubes is just indicative of how far WR has fallen in it's quality and dedication to unique and well-made figures (anyone who has the mini dinosaurs set from 1999 will understand).

The same figures show up in many other sets--they are also the figures available in the GeoWorld dino travel sets and dino play set (unlike the mammals, which are unique figures).

phrog

Looks like them, thanks!
Despite their "low quality" nature, the skins had pretty good detail and texture.
Most of them are easily identifiable, but a few of the therapods are a bit ambiguous....

The one on the left has a row of spikes down its back, and the one on the right has a stripe of crocodile-style scutes, any idea what they might be?

I'm guessing at least one of these is supposed to be Allosaurus... the one on the left has 4 fingers though

SBell

They are often given rather imaginative identifications! The scuted one is often thought of as Ornithosuchus or a similar animal (only crurotarsans have plates like that) but soemone did find an old drawing or painting that showed a dinosaur that inspired the figure.

sauroid

please ID the brand (+ other info) of my Pteranodon

thanks
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

EmperorDinobot

Eyes glow yellow and roars. Mom brought it from Goodwill, and I love it. What is it?

amargasaurus cazaui

Could be my cousin, does it like pizza?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: