News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronnie

Still no luck finding a photo of my Spinosaurus.  It is made of solid rubbery plastic. Will try to take a shot of its belly in the future.

Congrats Zopteryx! And Thanks SBell for the lead.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

amargasaurus cazaui

Identified haphhzardly as a Microceratops, which means it could also be called Mircroceratus, or Gracileratops. Unsure who made it, or where it came from, but I want one...ideas?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mnemosaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 05, 2013, 08:43:08 PM

Identified haphhzardly as a Microceratops, which means it could also be called Mircroceratus, or Gracileratops. Unsure who made it, or where it came from, but I want one...ideas?
It's from the 'Discover the lost world' set, there was a thread on them on the old forum (http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=3461&page=1). I see them on Ebay quite regularly, they appear in different colour variations and two sizes. There are some quite interesting figures, I especially like the 'microceratops', hysilophodon, postosuchus and sauronithoides.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: mnemosaurus on April 06, 2013, 11:04:20 AM

It's from the 'Discover the lost world' set, there was a thread on them on the old forum (http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=3461&page=1). I see them on Ebay quite regularly, they appear in different colour variations and two sizes. There are some quite interesting figures, I especially like the 'microceratops', hysilophodon, postosuchus and sauronithoides.
Awesome and right on target, once you told me ,had a set ordered within ten minutes, thanks so very much. Apparently the figure I want comes packed alongside the Triceratops-like figure, which makes good sense.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 06, 2013, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: mnemosaurus on April 06, 2013, 11:04:20 AM

Awesome and right on target, once you told me ,had a set ordered within ten minutes, thanks so very much. Apparently the figure I want comes packed alongside the Triceratops-like figure, which makes good sense.

The ceratopsian is labelled Diceratops, which is more properly called Nedoceratops. The set indeed has some unusual figures in it (oddly-no tyrannosaur!).

CityRaptor

Is this what I think it is? A monochrome Carnegie Allosaurus?

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Bokisaurus

Here is a group of funny little figures ;D
They are small. Anyone know what company made them?

CityRaptor

Those look like Dinofroz.  Made by Giochi Preziosi. Seems like one of the earlier lines, before they got hit by the ugly stick.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Does anyone have an idea about this bizarre tyrannosaurus? I know I did post it in "Recent Acquisitions" a while back, but I would like to know if anyone knows about the manufacturer. It has no identifying markings anywhere on its body.

I do know it is a bootleg of an old Horizon vinyl rex, but I know nothing else. It came from Australia, if that means anything, with a bunch of Imperial chinasaurs.

Libraraptor

Great lipstick T.rex! Unfourtunately I can´t tell you anything about the brand.

Libraraptor

Does anyone have an idea what recent or extinct animal this figure might represent? Or is it just a fantasy creature?
It says "HIL" and "(c)1998 HINSTAR" and "Made in China" at the belly.

Roselaar

Someone please identify any or all of these, please:

Jetoar

Yes I can. The big figure is a copy of AAA diplodocus and you could buy this figure with a collection os fascicles of dysney dinosaur in kiosco. Ihave this figure and other of these collection. The small rex is a figure of blue bird brand as mightymax an polly pocket. It was of a play set of a dino island like as Jurassic Park. I have this playset and other dinosaurs. I will share images of them.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roselaar

Thanks for the explanations, that's two down. I'm eagerly awaiting those pictures. :)

I'm most intrigued by the purple Stegosaurid. All it says on the bottom is 'Huayangosaurus'. No year of release, no brand name, not even 'made in China'. And it looks far too good to be a Chinasaur anyway.

sauroid

if you have a bigger and clearer pic of that diplodocus, i'd like to see it please.
yes Roselaar, sometimes you'd stumble upon mysterious un-ID'd figures that look much better than some popular brands.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on May 01, 2013, 01:58:56 PM
if you have a bigger and clearer pic of that diplodocus, i'd like to see it please.
yes Roselaar, sometimes you'd stumble upon mysterious un-ID'd figures that look much better than some popular brands.

Can't get a much better pic I'm afraid, the refractory plastic makes it hard to get a clear shot of the Diplodocus itself. Suffice to say it's a retro looking Sauropod with a goofy head.

crankydinosaur

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 28, 2013, 08:14:38 PM

Does anyone have an idea what recent or extinct animal this figure might represent? Or is it just a fantasy creature?

I would say that looks like a Coryphodon. Which OMG CORYPHODON!!! How big is he? I am now on a quest to find one for myself!

SBell

Quote from: crankydinosaur on May 03, 2013, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on April 28, 2013, 08:14:38 PM

I would say that looks like a Coryphodon. Which OMG CORYPHODON!!! How big is he? I am now on a quest to find one for myself!

I would want one too--but the tusk seems a little extreme for a Coryphodon. And certainly too far back.

Blackdanter

HIL was the trademark of the Hinstar Manufacturing Company. They were a Hong Kong based toy maker but I don't think they're in business any longer. Incidentally, I'm told that HIL can also mean dog or dragon in certain provinces of China but doesn't seem to mean anything in terms of this figure other than as a trade mark.  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: