You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon I, too, would like a shonisaurus that far surpasses its 2004 Schleich counterpart. We need a definitive figure of that great species of marine reptile. Totally agree.

Sim

avatar_Loon @Loon have you tried the PNSO large Mamenchisaurus and the Safari 2016 Carcharodontosaurus?  I have both and they're great figures!

SidB

On the other hand, it's a wonderful thing when a figure ages gracefully, both subjectively and objectively.

Loon

Quote from: Sim on October 21, 2020, 09:45:09 PM
avatar_Loon @Loon have you tried the PNSO large Mamenchisaurus and the Safari 2016 Carcharodontosaurus?  I have both and they're great figures!

I have had both, I'm honestly not too crazy about them. I mostly like the sculpt of the Mamenchisaurus, but the head was really off putting. The Carcharadontosaurus is nice, but really small, and the pose is pretty boring to me.

Bread

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 21, 2020, 11:05:49 PM
Also was there a Carcharodontosaurus?
I'm confused.
I thought PNSO made a Giganotosaurus.
It is the 2016 Safari Carcharodontosaurus that was mentioned. PNSO has not made one, but that would be awesome if they did.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 21, 2020, 11:04:02 PM
The head of the PNSO Mamenchisaurus is based on an extremely outdated reconstruction that was in use when only a few fragments of the skull were known.
The Mojö one has an accurate head shape, it would honestly be perfect if it wasn't for the claw number.

That's interesting, wasn't aware of that. Gonna have to reexamine my Mamenchisaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

The head of the PNSO Mamenchisaurus is based on an extremely outdated reconstruction that was in use when only a few fragments of the skull were known.
The Mojö one has an accurate head shape, it would honestly be perfect if it wasn't for the claw number.

Also, I believe the neck posture of the Mamenchisaurus is wrong too, it should be more vertical, right?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on October 23, 2020, 03:43:38 PM

Also, I believe the neck posture of the Mamenchisaurus is wrong too, it should be more vertical, right?
Yes, Mamenchisaurus even has a structure for muscle supports on its hips that connect to the neck allowing it be held very upright.

Halichoeres

I'll bet PNSO even knew about the posture but went with a lower position because it was easier to ship. The geometry of correctly positioned sauropod necks is probably a real pain for distribution.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Now I kinda want to see what W-Dragon might do with the species. Their Giraffatitan seems to be a better representation of that species than PNSO's figure is for Mamenchisaurus.

Fenestra

I'm still waiting for a toy company to make a figure of Tyrannosaurus Rex with the same voluptuous body as the Regina Mundi model by David Krentz.

Reuben03

Dimetrodon for sure. We need a scientifically accurate, fully articulated and well painted action figure of dimetrodon. Y'know, David Silva style. Also all mosasaurids in general, particularly Tylosaurus. A big, accurate, articulated action figure with a decent paint job would just make my day! 

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Reuben03

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 25, 2020, 01:16:22 PM
I was wondering as there are so many good ones already until I read "action figure" haha.
Yeah honestly, that would be a cool concept.
Though I don't really collect articulated animal figures myself but my significant other does.
I think either P @Palaeoplushies or avatar_Papi-Anon @Papi-Anon could make a fantastic Dimetrodon action figure.
yes! Wouldn't a beasts of the Mesozoic Mosasaur series just be so good!? And the mosasaur pups too, just like the hatchlings from the raptor series, little baby mosasaurs 😍

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Shonisaurus

I would like a definitive deinocheirus. The one from Safari is very nice but a bit small for its size as pointed out by forum members with respect to the carcharodontosaurus from the same company.

Loon

ITdactyl

...almost forgot my yearly tradition

Someone please make a definitive Pterodactylus (preferably antiquus; I wasn't aware before now that there are sooooo many species lumped in this genus)

..and a Ludodactylus (would be a nice pun on those producers who keep adding teeth to Pteranodon)

...and a properly chunky and modern Ornithocheirus (so I'd stop  feeling bad for not owning the WWD model)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 25, 2020, 04:15:53 PM
It is a decent size but I think a better looking one could still be made, perhaps with the current direction of less feathers and a sail instead of a hump making it look even stranger.
No offence, but where have you been hearing this stuff? Deinocheirus had branched feathers, not simple filamentous ones like Tyrannosauroids, so its size should have no bearing on the degree of feathering. And if any large dinosaur had need for insulation, it was probably Deinocheirus anyway, with its aquatic feeding habits.

And I haven't heard anything about it having a sail, while the exact shape of the structure is still unclear the vertebrae widen at the top, which is something only seen in modern animals with significant muscular humps. The idea of Deinocheirus having a fatty hump ala camels never had any backing, and was always stemming from miscommunication or misunderstanding about the terminology. Deinocheirus would have had a muscular, not fatty, hump, which probably served as a muscle attachment point to support its large head.

All that being said, while for different reasons I do agree a new Deinocheirus would be ideal. The Safari version is much smaller than I'd like, and I'm not fond of the "reduced amount of but huge individually feathers" direction that the CollectA versions go with for the feathering on the arms and tail. Unfortunately the only company I can picture likely doing one in a large size is Mattel, and I wouldn't expect anything besides a puff of feathers on the tail from them.

Dinoxels

An Appalachiosaurus and a Koolasuchus would be great definitive figures I would like to see.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon Yes, the one from Collecta is quite a decent size but it honestly does not convince me, I like the Safari version better, it seems to me a more finished model and honestly I would like a deinocheirus like Andrey Atuchin's or Doug Watson's from Safari at one size larger.

Sim

Regarding the PNSO Mamenchisaurus, the head shape is different from the Mojo's because they represent different species.  The PNSO appears to be M. hochuanensis while the Mojo appears to be M. youngi.  See the posts quoted below for more information:

Quote from: Sim on June 05, 2020, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 13, 2017, 10:06:53 PM

PNSO Mamenchisaurus
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang
Released: 2017
The scale estimate is based on M. constructus or M. youngi, which are smaller but well-known. Other species assigned to Mamenchisaurus were much larger. But I think PNSO meant it as one of those smaller species in any event, which means they are, like most other companies, making their figures in a larger scale than what they claim. This replaced the Invicta and Safari "Dinosaurs of China" versions, which I previously couldn't decide between.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, I don't think the PNSO Mamenchisaurus represents M. youngi, the skull shape doesn't seem to match: http://www.paleofile.com/Dinosaurs/Sauropoda/Mamenchisaurus.asp  M. constructus is a possibility, but I think so is M. hochuanensis which is the species known to have a "tail club" which the PNSO Mamenchisaurus has.  In the booklet that comes with the PNSO Mamenchisaurus, there's an illustration of a Mamenchisaurus skeleton.  Comparing it to the reconstructions in Gregory Paul's second edition of The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, the one in the booklet seems to match M. hochuanensis, particularly in the skull.

Quote from: Mononykus on June 05, 2020, 08:30:23 PM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  I will concur that the PNSO Mamenchisaurus is most likely M. hochuanensis.
In addition to the features mentioned by avatar_Sim @Sim, there are the following considerations:

It is not M. constructus because that species actually has a proportionately shorter neck than other Mamenchisaurus species.
It is not M. youngi because that species has a unique sacral structure so that the tail emerges in a way to produce a humped shape at the base of the tail, as shown by the Mojo figure.
I believe their pricey resin figure was actually identified as M. hochuanensis, so that species seems to be their 'go-to' species for this genus (as opposed to the larger M. sinocanadorum or M. jingyanensis, the latter which seems to get little attention or illustration).
Since M. hochuanensis is about 22m long, the PNSO model would be at 1/45 scale. What is the official scale for this figure? I wasn't aware they listed one (but I think I got mine without the box to save money).

I don't think the more horizontal neck of the PNSO Mamenchisaurus is an inaccuracy.  I'm not aware of anything stopping them from having their necks in that position.  How would they drink if they couldn't move their neck down?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: