You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Jose S.M. on May 10, 2020, 01:34:24 AM
I'm still waiting for a Ceratosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus. Safari has a pretty nice cerato but I don't like the feet, too big. And the CollectA one is too big for me. Safari's Carcharodontosaurus is kind of small and it lacks something to me. I can't exactly say what but it doesn't speak to me in the way other Safari theropods had.
I suspect that we might see the Cerato first, since it's due for an update and there's the recent Giganotosaurus by Safari that is very similar to any new Carcharodontosaurus potential release. Unless they did something rather unusual with the Carcharo ( but not to a Papo extreme as with their upcoming Giganotosaurus), to justify making a large theropod that is otherwise so similar to a current one in the lineup.

Nanuqsaurus

I'm still looking for the perfect Deinocheirus. The one from Safari looks great to me in almost every aspect, but it's just way too small for my tastes. Deinocheirus was a pretty large animal, so I don't feel like a small figurine does it justice.

Shonisaurus

Although Collecta's therizinosaurus and Papo's are quite good, I wish for a better finished therizinosaurus. Could it be the definitive figure of therizinosaurus the one made by Safari by Doug Watson and with a size more than acceptable and not as small as his great deinocheirus?

therizinosaurus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on May 10, 2020, 08:25:23 AM
I'm still looking for the perfect Deinocheirus. The one from Safari looks great to me in almost every aspect, but it's just way too small for my tastes. Deinocheirus was a pretty large animal, so I don't feel like a small figurine does it justice.

I feel like the Collecta deluxe Deinocheirus had potential (and was perfect at the time it was released), but had the misfortune of coming out before the most modern reconstruction was published. Then again, with a creature that weird who knows what future discoveries could bring (I think of the ever-changing life appearance of Spinosaurus as a good example).

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 10, 2020, 12:48:07 PM
Although Collecta's therizinosaurus and Papo's are quite good, I wish for a better finished therizinosaurus. Could it be the definitive figure of therizinosaurus the one made by Safari by Doug Watson and with a size more than acceptable and not as small as his great deinocheirus?

Something similar in size to the Great Dinos Therizinosaurus, but with a more modern interpretation, would be brilliant. I've always really disliked the Schleich/Papo takes on the species. But again, like Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus seems to be something of a moving target for sculptors. The original Dinos of China was arguably flawless when it came out. Little did we know that two decades later it would look as antiquated as Owen's Iguanodon.

Flaffy

Quote from: therizinosaurus on May 10, 2020, 12:52:30 PM
I feel like the Collecta deluxe Deinocheirus had potential (and was perfect at the time it was released), but had the misfortune of coming out before the most modern reconstruction was published. Then again, with a creature that weird who knows what future discoveries could bring (I think of the ever-changing life appearance of Spinosaurus as a good example).
The newer deluxe one matches up with modern reconstructions.
The war paint detracts from the figure though imo.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on May 10, 2020, 02:35:09 PM

Yeah the Collecta Deluxe version isn't too bad, the size and sculpt are nice but I really don't like those colors. The Safari one looks more natural to me, and it's way fluffier and less skinny, which I really like. If only it were about the size of their other large theropods...

Jose S.M.

I already had a Deinocheirus when the Safari came out but if it was bigger I would replace mine. I love how the Safari Deinocheirus looks but it's kind of small I agree with that. I'm weird when. It comes to figures sizes. If the real animal was like 8 meters or more I like it to be in 1:35 scale or something about that. Bigger scales makes them too big for me, which is what happens with Safari's carnotaurus, I like it but wish it was a bit smaller. The contrary can be Said of their Acrocanthosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus. I love the Acro but it's so small, if it was in 1:35 like the Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus it would make a great trio. Also if Carcharodontosaurus was 1:35 they would have like the biggest theropods in the same scale, cool to exhibit them side by side.

therizinosaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on May 10, 2020, 02:35:09 PM

Shows how out of the loop I am :P

Dinoguy2

Edit: Nevermind, I had a typo in my scale measurements... 2.9 instead of 2.6cm skull. D'oh!

Anyway, the Safari Deinocheirus seems to be 1:40 based on skull length. It could easily pass as 1:35 if you assume it's the smaller specimen, which is also the only one that preserves the sail (the sail shape could well have changed with growth, so it seems better to assume it's that specimen).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Loon

I watched a bit of "Sea Monsters" today, and thought we could really use a new Arsinotherium. Safari's is nice, but retired and hard to find, and CollectA's is a bit too hairy for my taste.

stargatedalek

Still waiting on a fully accurate Microraptor, somehow. All of them compromise one aspect of the animal or another.

Shonisaurus

I would like a definitive version of the relatives of the tyrannosaurus rex, that is to say of the alioramus, gorgosaurus (the one of Papo still does not convince me), the albertosaurus, tarbosaurus, alectrosaurus, bistahieversor, and daspletosaurus. Tyrannosauroids with the exception of tyrannosaurus rex are very poorly represented.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon I'm going to have to agree with you on that, and it's such an interesting prehistoric mammal too. A shame there hasn't been more figures of it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

I would like the definitive version of the yangchuanosaurus, the Safari figure is a good figure for the time it was made but it has become obsolete and on the other hand the PNSO figure is very beautiful but has stability problems and is too small. I would like a scientifically more precise yangchuanosaurus that is better finished and has no stability issues and is slightly larger in size.

Kapitaenosavrvs

I think, i really want a new Ichthyovenator Figure, regarding the newer Tail- and Neckfragments. I sometimes want to get the CollectA, but then i think of these awful hips. I just can't. Also, it would be extremely great to have an Ichthyovenator next to an 2020 Spinosaurus. Both with their "new" Tails. It is still heavily fragmented, but i still would love to have one.

Please correct me, if i am wrong.

indohyus

If it was in the Walking with..... series and hasn't been made, looking for it!

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Loon on January 13, 2020, 04:40:04 PM
I'd argue we've yet to have any definitive versions of any fossil primates. I would love a set of 1/40 or 1/35 scale hominids. Maybe a Lucy that doesn't cost $70.

Fragmentary remains of many hominids throws a wrench into that for the most part. Gigantopithecus could be done in so many ways as speculative interpretations that only a miraculous discovery of post-cranial material will settle. I grew up imagining Giganto looking like the Peters illustration in my sig, but would nowadays prefer the newer interpretation as an orangutan built like a scaled-up gorilla. Or the 2016 Jungle Book version (King Louie has always been one of my favorite characters in the original Disney cartoon).

Hominins though...It's criminal how we have so little out there with all that we know these days, and, you know, the fact that it's our species' darned evolutionary history. The only Neanderthal figures I've seen over the years are 'caveman' figures that are just outdated caricatures, and tiny figurines that are not that detailed in sculpt to give a decent depiction. Closest thing I saw in my recollection were the McFarlane X-Files movie figure of the cavemen in the opening scene from the ice age, and I think they were really just supposed to be earlier H. sapiens.

So, yeah, more prehistoric hominids gets my vote.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

SenSx

I'm re-updating my wish list!

1) Sarchosuchus: I alwready own the Safari one which is great, but I really hope Rebor eventually releases a bigger and more striking version of it.

2) Deinosuchus: Same as above

3) Baryonyx: Spinosauridae dinosaurs with crocodilian like heads have always been among my favorites, and I absolutely love JW interpretation of the creature, I have no doubt high quality compagnies such as Nanmu or W-Dragon will make one, can't wait.

4) Suchomimus: one of the biggest in that category after Spinosaurus I'm not so opimistic about him, for some reason the Baryonyx has become more popular.

5) Galliminus: a classic from JP, I still wonder why it hasn't been made much other than as a toy, like for the Mattel line.

6) Gigantoraptor: That thing is a beast, I'm surprised there is no representation for it.

7) Albertosaurus: That one was a classic when I was a child, but it seems long forgotten now...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: