You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Alright, enough of this please. This is my collection thread, not some general discussion board.

Loon

I got PNSO's Miragaia in the mail yesterday, and I really do like it. This first picture is a little too radiant-looking, so sorry. I'm happy an updated version of this species has finally been made; as much as I like the Carnegie version, I much prefer this one. I haven't really cared much for the looks of a few of the recent PNSO figures, but this one really looks nice. The only major issue I have is how weirdly thin the tail is. 

The colors are definitely similar to the Machairoceratops, which isn't great; but, whatever they're different enough.

Shonisaurus

I am very happy for your new acquisitions, the machairoceratops and the miragaia are very beautiful. My congratulations! I would like if my finances would allow me to buy more PNSO figures in the future, although I honestly like the machairoceratops a lot I have to confess not only to you but to the rest of the DTF members that regardless of whether it is an artistic work, the miragaia does not It convinces me a lot, honestly I find its counterpart from Carnegie, Collecta or even its counterpart from PNSO in a small size. There is something that I see in him regardless of being an up-to-date scientific figure that reminds me of a fantasy figure regardless of how well it is done. I have to be honest.

Although sincerely if I had the miragaia in my collection and physically I would not sincerely and surely have that negative appreciation of that figure whose bright colors and beautiful sculpture still fascinate me.

Halichoeres

Wild new look for Miragaia. It must have been very noisy when it shook its head.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That Miragaia is amazing, wonderful addition, such a beautiful figure.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Kapitaenosavrvs

"This figure is definitely one of Doug Watson's best."

Yes. Thanks for sharing and compairing. I love the sculpt and how it came out in the End. I can't wait. Finally a nice, affordable(!) and quite easy to get(!) Baryonyx w.

Noice.

Loon

After how next level avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos first customs were, I had to commision some more. All 3 of them arrived today, and oh my god... It's all just too much... So, I'm only going to be sharing one at a time over the next bit, so both you and I can appreciate them individually.

First up is her repaint of Safari's 2017 Giganotosaurus.

"WAIT!!! A GIGANOTOSAURUS??? IN LOON'S COLLECTION???"

Yes.... It's well known I don't care much about the large Allosauroids, or at least their fanboys, but I have a fondness for this figure; 2017 was the year I really got into collecting. Adding to that sentimentality, this custom is based on one of my favorite pieces of paleoart, James Gurney's magnificent painting of Giganotosaurus.

I've had a book with this painting as the cover since I was a kid. It was a large hardcover deal and had some other works by Mark Hallet and Luis Rey, I think. Unfortunately, I can't find it, but I'm sure it's in my garage. Fun fact: I used that book to crush a pincher bug when I was young (we all do things we're not proud of) and when I went through my old books a few years back, it was still there!

Now, time to show off this beauty.

I'm just in love with this thing. Not only is it a great homage to one of my favorite pieces of paleoart, it also just looks amazing. The paint job really brings out how great the underlying sculpt is. I initially wanted to use a KO Vitae Giganotosaurus, but after reading about how toxic those bootlegs are, I figured Safari's was the next best thing, especially because of it's more dated nature, as far as the skull, so it matched Gurney's art better. And the base, it's just so much better now. It looks like actually earth, as opposed to monotone playdough like it used to.

These guys were on some of the paper filler in the package, and their joyful expressions sum up how I feel about this figure better than I ever could.

Thanks so much to avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, again. I'm very excited to share the other two customs soon, but for now here's a teaser:

Hint: each of these cryptids is part whatever the next two figures are

Bread

The one thing that always bothered me with that Safari Giga was the paint scheme. This repaint really makes this figure so much better! It looks amazing, and congratulations on this beautiful figure. Paintingdinos did an absolute amazing job on it.

Dusty Wren

I'm with Bread, I was never a huge fan of the intense striping on the Safari Giga. This repaint really highlights all the details of the sculpt, and I love how naturally the green fades into the gold. Congrats to both you and Paintingdinos--this is a great-looking custom!
Check out my customs thread!

paintingdinos

Loon you always spoil me with your generous feedback!   :))

Those paper fills are authentic, too. Came right from Japan with a certain plastic placoderm you may be familiar with. Admittedly I hoard packing supplies. Waste not want not!

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Loon on January 29, 2021, 09:20:55 AM
Yes.... It's well known I don't care much about the large Allosauroids, or at least their fanboys...

I know the type of person you mean, but long-dead prehistoric animals aren't themselves responsible for what some hairless ape thinks about them millions of years later.  It's good you haven't let that get in the way of commissioning this figure - especially considering what a lovely job avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos has done!  You must be very pleased to have this in your collection.

Quote from: Loon on January 29, 2021, 09:20:55 AM
Thanks so much to avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, again. I'm very excited to share the other two customs soon, but for now here's a teaser:
Hint: each of these cryptids is part whatever the next two figures are[/center]

This is a fun way of teasing posts!  I like it.

Quote from: paintingdinos on January 29, 2021, 04:03:36 PM
Admittedly I hoard packing supplies. Waste not want not!

Glad I'm not the only one who does this! :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Stegotyranno420

Those are awesome! Congrats avatar_Loon @Loon and amazing work avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos !
I could make a million and a half jokes about Loon's Collection having a Giganotosaurus, but are the CHeap Vitae figures(the Giganotosaurus with cheap paint) really knockoffs. I heard some say they are safe bootlegs, and some say they are toxic officals, some said toxic bootlegs, some said safe officals. ANd im pretty sure they are safe officals, but i could be fatally wrong

Callophrys

avatar_Loon @Loon that's beautiful! avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, that's a massive improvement on the original colour scheme, and you've made it look like it's a way more expensive figure

Fenestra

Wow. Look at that lady with her new coat on. Classy!  :))

Loon

First off, a general thanks for all the recent comments, since I don't want to flood the thread with a ton of replies.

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, I was definitely wondering what the deal with the papers were. I should do the same, but, thanks to my notoriously poor planning, always end up throwing out shipping supplies right before I need them.

avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod 100% agree with the first point. I personally tend not to find large Theropods interesting in general, but mayhaps my judgement of this group has been a bit soured due to these fanboys. I can't say I wasn't impressed seeing an Acrocanthosaurus skeleton in Texas a couple of years back.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That Giganotosaurus looks nice with those colours. Like a real animal. It was a long time before I could see any Allosauroid as a real animal incidentally. It is a great image to Gurney too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

That giganotosaurus from Safari with that new colored layer has turned out very well and much more realistic. Superb repainting.

Jose S.M.

I don't particularly dislike the original paint scheme but this one is waaay better. It looks amazing like this.

Loon

Thanks to everyone who has commented about the Giganotosaurus. I love that figure and really appreciate all the work avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos put into it; but, that wasn't the only figure in the package she sent me...

GUSHFEST 2.0: CUSTOM FAVORITE CO. DUNKLEOSTEUS BY PAINTINGDINOS

The original idea for this custom was to give the CollectA Dunkleosteus a new paint scheme, as I really did not care for the original paint job.

Credit: Everything Dinosaur

But, after starting a thread to get some color references, it was pointed out to me that the CollectA figure was pretty inaccurate and that the Favorite model is far superior.   

Credit: Dan's Dinosaurs
However, the Favorite figure's paint job was also unsatisfactory in my opinion, not really looking all that much like a real fish. The biggest issue for me was how stark the paint made the difference between the head armor and the rest of the body. So, after a change in plans, I bought and sent it to paintingdinos.

A big priority for this custom was to blend the head and body in a more natural way, similar to the "Dunk" model from the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

Credit: American Museum of Natural History

Another big thing that was taken into account was ecology. Several members pointed out that pelagic fish inhabit a similar niche to Dunkleosteus and after a bit of searching, I was really taken by the beautiful patterns and colors of the Tiger Shark. 

Credit: Fred Buyle

Finally, for a bit of flair, some patterns from the Alligator Gar were referenced. When you look at the custom, you'll see the inspiration in the patterns on the dorsal and tail fins, as well as around the eyes.

Credit: Zachary Randall

So, after all of those "ingredients", you get what has to be one of the most beautiful figures I own.

I don't think everyone has the base figure in their collections, at least not as many as those who have the CollectA figure; so, here's a comparison shot with some of his Devonian comrades.

"Run...or swim, I guess"

Seriously, this thing is so pretty. As usual, I fear my pictures really haven't done it justice, and I highly doubt someone who's failed as many English classes as me can better articulate its beauty in words; but, I'll try. This is just such an upgrade; paintingdinos' paint job has just transformed this figure into something completely different. Unlike so many depictions of Dunkleosteus, it doesn't look like a dead eyed killer, it's an animal, and probably closer to that than most in my collection. Heck, it's a better Tiger Shark than my Tiger Shark.

I especially love the fade from white to grey, as well as the patterns on this thing. Seriously, look how nice they look.

And the level of detail on the tail and dorsal fins is just so neat to look at.

Once again, I have to give a huge shout out to avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos, she has really made some of the nicest things in my collection.

Well, that's all for now; but, like last time, I figure I'll leave you a teaser for next week's post...

"He is very brave and very wise. That's why he is known as the great Prince of the Forest."

BlueKrono

I'm quite captivated by the fade work on the tail and the inside of the mouth. You've got a beautiful piece here.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: