News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Plesiosaur's Neck book

Started by DinoToyForum, February 14, 2020, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 13, 2021, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 11, 2021, 11:17:03 PM
A few reviews of The Plesiosaur's Neck have started to surface!

"I certainly wasn't expecting a rhyming text when I received this book but wow! It really works and is a terrific read aloud."
"Adam Larkum's illustrations are full of fun, adding to the entertainment of what is a smashing exploration." – Red Reading Hub

"Told in playful, rhyming text backed with scientific hypothesis and fact filled boxes, this book strikes the balance between picture book and non fiction book." – My Shelves Are Full

That's awesome! Hopefully my review copy arrives in time for me to help boost the release hype!

Yes, some more publicity is planned for the next few months, so I'm sure you won't be late to the party!

-
By the way, to Canada-based forumites, the book is available via Amazon Canada now: https://www.amazon.ca/Plesiosaurs-Neck-Dr-Adam-Smith/dp/191297942X

DinoToyForum

Jonathan and I have produced a reading of the main rhyming text of The Plesiosaur's Neck.
https://youtu.be/sqMIjUGPlCM

Libraraptor

Reads and sounds very funny!

stoneage

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stoneage on May 21, 2021, 08:14:01 PM
Who did the reading?

Me and Jonathan, alternate pages. Him first.

Subduction

My copy arrived yesterday! I'm really happy I bought the book because it's fantastic. I love the artwork and secretly wish I could buy figures in that style, haha! I didn't expect the text to rhyme but I thought it was cute and well-written. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the supporting characters. But then again, I love dad humor. My favorite thing about the book though is that I learned something. I really enjoyed the informative sections as well as the various hypothesis paleontologists have regarding the length of plesiosaur necks.

Overall, a great book I'd recommend to children and anyone who loves prehistoric life. My only complaint?

(Spoiler tag because the photos are big.)

Spoiler

[close]

I don't know how visible it is in the photos but my copy was damaged. I don't blame Dr. Adam, customs, or even Amazon for what happened. What most likely happened was that the mailman folded the package to put it in our P.O box instead of leaving it at the door. Because the package itself was folded in half when I got it. I'm pretty disappointed. I'm going to submit a complaint to our mail carrier today. I don't expect a refund or anything but I'm kinda bumped. I wanted really Dr. Adam to sign my copy but the book is damaged. I don't expect a refund or anything. I'll probably just wait until I can buy a hardcover copy or something. ;o;

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Subduction on May 26, 2021, 04:43:01 PM
My copy arrived yesterday! I'm really happy I bought the book because it's fantastic. I love the artwork and secretly wish I could buy figures in that style, haha! I didn't expect the text to rhyme but I thought it was cute and well-written. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the supporting characters. But then again, I love dad humor. My favorite thing about the book though is that I learned something. I really enjoyed the informative sections as well as the various hypothesis paleontologists have regarding the length of plesiosaur necks.

Overall, a great book I'd recommend to children and anyone who loves prehistoric life. My only complaint?

Spoiler

[close]

I don't know how visible it is in the photos but my copy was damaged. I don't blame Dr. Adam, customs, or even Amazon for what happened. What most likely happened was that the mailman folded the package to put it in our P.O box instead of leaving it at the door. Because the package itself was folded in half when I got it. I'm pretty disappointed. I'm going to submit a complaint to our mail carrier today. I don't expect a refund or anything but I'm kinda bumped. I wanted really Dr. Adam to sign my copy but the book is damaged. I don't expect a refund or anything. I'll probably just wait until I can buy a hardcover copy or something. ;o;

Thank S @Subduction I'm glad you like it so much! You aren't the first person to be (pleasantly) surprised by the main rhyming text.

I'm sorry your copy got damaged, that's a bad bend, a real shame. Maybe Amazon will send a replacement if you explain what happened?

Also, would you consider posting your extremely positive review on Amazon? It has only received a couple of buyer reviews so far and your glowing words might encourage other browsers to give the book a try.

DinoToyForum

Tomorrow (Thursday 27 May) at 10.00am Jonathan Emmett and I will be streaming our first ever live performance of The Plesiosaur's Neck, organised by the Literacy Trust. It's free, so you (or your children) are welcome to watch along on YouTube. Details are here: https://literacytrust.org.uk/communities/nottingham/the-plesiosaurs-neck/

Also, if you've bought a copy of the book and like it, then please consider leaving a review wherever you bought it and recommend it to your friends! Thank you!  O:-)

Subduction

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 26, 2021, 05:05:09 PM
Quote from: Subduction on May 26, 2021, 04:43:01 PM

Spoiler

[close]

Thank S @Subduction I'm glad you like it so much! You aren't the first person to be (pleasantly) surprised by the main rhyming text.

I'm sorry your copy got damaged, that's a bad bend, a real shame. Maybe Amazon will send a replacement if you explain what happened?

Also, would you consider posting your extremely positive review on Amazon? It has only received a couple of buyer reviews so far and your glowing words might encourage other browsers to give the book a try.

Thank you so much! I spoke to the Post Office and they're going to investigate what happened. If they can't do anything, I'll try talking to Amazon.

Of course! I didn't mind writing a positive review on Amazon. I wanted to link it to you but I can't seem to find it? If it doesn't show up in a couple of days, I'll rewrite it. Otherwise, I don't mind doing whatever it takes to get more people to buy the book. :D

DinoToyForum

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your review. :)

DinoToyForum

The Literacy Trust event today was recorded, so you can catch up with it on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVxR7XafP0

It's aimed at children, of course – there were 750 school children watching live from classrooms, apparently – but it might be fun for you to see us reading and discussing it as well!

Bokisaurus

Just ordered the book, can't wait to see it😃

ceratopsian

I ordered mine today from my local bookshop.

DinoToyForum

Thanks B @Bokisaurus and avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian !

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian bring your copy to Wollaton Hall if you visit Nottingham later this year to see Titus the T.rex, it would be great to catch up again and I could sign your copy at the same time. Obviously, we're not out of the pandemic yet, so that's a big "if".

ceratopsian

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum I half had that in mind as a possibility but will of course be cautious and see how things go.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 27, 2021, 09:58:36 PM
Thanks B @Bokisaurus and avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian !

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian bring your copy to Wollaton Hall if you visit Nottingham later this year to see Titus the T.rex, it would be great to catch up again and I could sign your copy at the same time. Obviously, we're not out of the pandemic yet, so that's a big "if".

DinoToyForum

S @Subduction, your review (I presume it's yours) has appeared on the Amazon page, thanks so much! https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2561KNX98L13B/

Any word on a replacement copy?

Subduction

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 28, 2021, 12:09:00 PM
S @Subduction, your review (I presume it's yours) has appeared on the Amazon page, thanks so much! https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2561KNX98L13B/

Any word on a replacement copy?

Yep, that's my review! I changed the wording so it was a little more professional but I'm happy you appreciate it. :D

Sadly, no updates with a replacement copy. I haven't heard back from the post office yet. Maybe I'll hear from them after Memorial Day weekend. I'll let you know.

DinoToyForum

The Plesiosaur's Neck is on a 'Blog Tour' this week. Today it was featured on Picture Book Perfect, where I was invited to guest write an article about my top five plesiosaur facts that aren't about their long necks! https://picturebookperfect123.com/2021/06/02/5-top-facts-about-the-plesiosaur-blogtour-the-plesiosaurs-neck-by-dr-adam-s-smith-jonathan-emmett-adam-larkum/

ceratopsian

That reads really well.

And I'm picking up my copy this afternoon!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 02, 2021, 01:36:05 PM
That reads really well.

And I'm picking up my copy this afternoon!

Thanks, and great! O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: