You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Therizinosaurus's collection (back from the dead)

Started by therizinosaurus, May 10, 2020, 03:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therizinosaurus

A cross-country move last year (and another move a few years before that) meant that most of my dinosaurs ended up in storage in California while I've been in New York. Fortunately, my mother is a literal saint and has been FaceTiming me to figure out what needs to be shipped vs. what can remain in storage. It's been a very fun journey revisiting the figures that I so desperately hunted down a little more than a decade ago; some were good investments, others have left me scratching my head wondering what I was thinking. I plan on updating this thread as the figures arrive and I properly display them, but in the meantime, I figured I'd share a few "work in progress" pictures  :)

SidB

That's a wonderful trip down memory lane. i started collecting about ten or so years ago, so not only are these very familiar (most are in my collection, boxed), but the excitement of discovering, hunting them down and acquiring and enjoying them came sweeping back as I surveyed this part of your collection, particularly the Bullyland mammals. Thanks for sharing.

Shonisaurus

T @therizinosaurus You have an impressive collection. You have collector tastes similar to me. Nice collection of prehistoric mammals.

Halichoeres

That's a great collection! I bet you're glad you didn't part with it in the interim. Looking forward to seeing how you augment it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

therizinosaurus

The first two boxes arrived from home. Figuring out a permanent display solution but for now, I've got a little Permian/Triassic thing going on on the windowsill.
Schleich Desmatosuchus is on its way to me, missing the Safari Scutosaurus and croc toob, what else would work in a display with these guys? Collecta Estemmenosuchus/Lisowicia come to mind...

SidB

What a great celebration of the diversity and just plain strangeness of those two periods.

Libraraptor

Gothmog the Baryonyx

What a beautiful collection you have there with some nice rare figures. I am glad you kept your stuff and didn't get rid of it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Yeah, many people go into an iconoclastic mood when they enter a new phase in their lives, getting rid of everything from the past. This usually turns out to be a mistake. Good to wait for the dust to settle.

Libraraptor

Quote from: SidB on May 18, 2020, 01:05:25 PM
Yeah, many people go into an iconoclastic mood when they enter a new phase in their lives, getting rid of everything from the past. This usually turns out to be a mistake. Good to wait for the dust to settle.
Wise words!

SidB

Experience I suppose, bitter at times, especially when it is people and relationships that are jettisoned. But of course, many times possessions aren't merely just that, but have memories wrapped around them, so become more than only things.

Faelrin

T @therizinosaurus I've been eyeballing this thread for a bit now, but each time have been having trouble thinking about what to say, so have gone quiet instead. Well I think it is about time I put my brain a bit more to work, and say something.

Honestly I am truly impressed you were able to track down so many of these rare and hard to find figures (unless you had them when they first released). Truly takes a lot of patience, and effort, if not luck to do so.

I'm glad to see you have been able to reunite with these and luckily did not have to part ways with them either.

S @SidB I think it is interesting you mention that as I actually lost things after a storage unit could not be paid in time, and everything was auctioned off several years ago so I was essentially forced to restart my collection. Of course now it focuses majorly on prehistoric things then it ever did in the past, and I also now have acquired far more then I did in the past. Some of those very prehistoric things have become sentimental to me just in the few years (or less) that I've had them, such as the Toyway Allosaurus, or the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I love it! As far as terrestrial animals go, the Permian and Triassic periods are my favorite to collect and to contemplate. So much experimentation with morphology was going on.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Wonderful to see you building up a collection thread 😃 and it's nice to see some old figures friends from the old days of the forum, remember when we all scrambled to get a Procyno?😂
Looking forward to see this thread evolve!

therizinosaurus

I appreciate the kind words everyone! I'll get some more photos up over the weekend  :)

B @Bokisaurus how could I forget the mad scramble for the Procynosuchus! I remember a similar reaction to the Basel Museum Tsintaosaurus--which I think I still have somewhere as well. Displayed great with the Invicta figures. Am I remembering that correctly? I was also thinking about the Dawn of Dinosaurs figures from Japan--the weird South American Triassic species they produced for what seemed like a minute. Fun times back then!

Libraraptor

Quote from: therizinosaurus on May 21, 2020, 10:41:37 PM
I appreciate the kind words everyone! I'll get some more photos up over the weekend  :)

B @Bokisaurus how could I forget the mad scramble for the Procynosuchus! I remember a similar reaction to the Basel Museum Tsintaosaurus--which I think I still have somewhere as well. Displayed great with the Invicta figures. Am I remembering that correctly? I was also thinking about the Dawn of Dinosaurs figures from Japan--the weird South American Triassic species they produced for what seemed like a minute. Fun times back then!

Yeah, that is true. I had discovered the figure in a small, remote museum and quickly the news spread and then the Procynos. Wow, that was long ago! Ten years or so?  Something similar happened with Basel Tsintao and the Wolfhagen Protochirotherium. They still rub their eyes in these museums :D :D

therizinosaurus

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 22, 2020, 05:59:57 PM

Yeah, that is true. I had discovered the figure in a small, remote museum and quickly the news spread and then the Procynos. Wow, that was long ago! Ten years or so?  Something similar happened with Basel Tsintao and the Wolfhagen Protochirotherium. They still rub their eyes in these museums :D :D

I feel privileged to have all three of those German museum exclusive figures! :) your DTF post about the Tsintao was in January of 2009...I wonder if you hadn't stumbled upon that figure if any of us would have ever found out.

Libraraptor

Wow, and the Tsintao issue occured after the Procyno thing.  I am really around here for quite a while now I guess...

Bokisaurus

You got it! Those were the days when we all were on the same boat when it came to rare figures! It was fun and there was so much helping each other try to get this figures. ;D

SidB

It's a very fine thing to see the past celebrated. As a recent joiner to the DTF (2016), though a lurker before that for several years, this conversation is like revisiting the old DTF, version 1. Fun!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: