News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd can't make mammals?

Started by Seijun, September 25, 2012, 11:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

I thought only carnegie was not allowed to do mammals?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on September 25, 2012, 11:04:30 PM

It's a weird story--what I had heard (and mentioned), I heard from the very top of Safari. Maybe there is some confusion. Maybe they just weren't worthwhile as a business venture. She wouldn't say, except that there were contract reasons. This conversation was from 4 years ago or so, but I see no reason to believe anything has changed (or will).

CM

This is interesting to me.  What reasons might there be for a company to be contractually forbidden from making ANY animal, let alone a specific group?  I don't know much about how this business works, so the very idea is hitting me oddly.

CityRaptor

Indeed, this also strikes me as odd, especially given that most Dinosaur Toy Lines do  atleast have the token Mammoth.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 25, 2012, 11:59:59 PM
Indeed, this also strikes me as odd, especially given that most Dinosaur Toy Lines do  atleast have the token Mammoth.

Including Safari and Carnegie!

Seijun

I had heard before that mammals could not be made for the carnegie line, but I did not think this included other lines by safari. Safari has a mammoth, smilodon, and ambelodon all listed for sale in their online store as part of their regular "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life" series. And actually, carnegie DOES have a wooly mammoth still in their line.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on September 26, 2012, 12:44:51 AM
I had heard before that mammals could not be made for the carnegie line, but I did not think this included other lines by safari. Safari has a mammoth, smilodon, and ambelodon all listed for sale in their online store as part of their regular "Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life" series. And actually, carnegie DOES have a wooly mammoth still in their line.

I already said that (regarding Carnegie and Safari)--and those are the last in the line of the Safari mammals (there used to be others--Arsinoitheruim, Andrewsarchus, Doedicurus, Megatherium) but they have slowly been whittled away; I would expect the Amebeldon to suffer the same fate sooner than later. And Carnegie makes their own decisions, but apparently mammals are out for them as well; the Safari line is limited by Safari (hence, I referred to speaking to someone from Safari, not Carnegie).

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on September 26, 2012, 12:50:48 AM
Quote from: SBell on September 25, 2012, 11:23:46 PM

It's a weird story--what I had heard (and mentioned), I heard from the very top of Safari. Maybe there is some confusion. Maybe they just weren't worthwhile as a business venture. She wouldn't say, except that there were contract reasons. This conversation was from 4 years ago or so, but I see no reason to believe anything has changed (or will).

Strange... However, with this evidence, I think it supports my wish that the toob is the pterosaur toob.  ;D

I never said anything, one way or the other, about toobs. But still, no mammals.

Arrancon

The whole Safari not being able to do mammals is dissapointing, the ones they did make were top notch. But wouldn't they be forced to retire ALL the prehistoric mammals then? If they aren't allowed to design them, wouldn't they not be allowed to sell them as well?

Takama

Well what baffles me is, if they are not allowed to make more mammals, then what is up with this?

Exatcly why did they make it, and how is it any diffrent from the contract

SBell

Quote from: Takama on September 26, 2012, 06:15:02 PM
Well what baffles me is, if they are not allowed to make more mammals, then what is up with this?

Exatcly why did they make it, and how is it any diffrent from the contract

It's not a figure, is it? I think the toobs may lie outside of the issue (please, nobody start going on about how they should make a toob of .... mammals). All I know is what Ramona Pariente told me--they can't make mammal figures for some contractual reason.  Until we see something otherwise, the issue needs to be left alone.  I'm not getting into further from this point out.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: CM on September 25, 2012, 11:26:56 PM

This is interesting to me.  What reasons might there be for a company to be contractually forbidden from making ANY animal, let alone a specific group?  I don't know much about how this business works, so the very idea is hitting me oddly.

/\ This. Surely it must be some sort of misunderstanding. Carnegie have a Dimetrodon too. 

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 26, 2012, 06:57:58 PM
Quote from: CM on September 25, 2012, 11:26:56 PM

/\ This. Surely it must be some sort of misunderstanding. Carnegie have a Dimetrodon too.

Are you baiting us admin? Of course, Safari has an Inostrancevia. So I don't think there is a reason they couldn't make more pelycosaurs or therapsids. They just currently don't.

DinoToyForum

No, I'm not baiting. I guess I'm just confused.  ???  I didn't know what to call the new topic.

Edit -  you said there that "they just currently don't." Which is very different from "they just currently can't", which was the implication from your comments about a "contractual reason". I think we both agree that there is some confusion involved.

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 26, 2012, 07:17:18 PM
No, I'm not baiting. I guess I'm just confused.  ???  I didn't know what to call the new topic.

Edit -  you said there that "they just currently don't." Which is very different from "they just currently can't", which was the implication from your comments about a "contractual reason". I think we both agree that there is some confusion involved.

I meant in regards to how they probably can make more synapsids/therapsids etc (i.e. non-mammalian synapsids) but that they don't.  What I should have said is that they aren't, at least now. Maybe it comes down to not wanting to make things with hair?

As such, I think the topic name is apt--they apparently can't, and so won't, make mammals (until/unless something changes, which would be great).

amargasaurus cazaui

I see a bright spot in this..you have named a new species of mammal !!! Recently during routine discussion on an online forum the members discovered an as yet un-named species, the "Token Mammoth" There will of course be more to follow.........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CM

The part I'm still having trouble with is ... who are they contracting WITH that forbids making certain animals?  That's very basically what I mean when I say I don't know much about this business.  Why do they NEED to have contracts for ANY lifeforms?  No one owns them, right?  Shouldn't every species of animal that has actually existed just be public domain for this type of thing?  Or am I being naive? :)

SBell

Quote from: CM on September 26, 2012, 09:43:41 PM
The part I'm still having trouble with is ... who are they contracting WITH that forbids making certain animals?  That's very basically what I mean when I say I don't know much about this business.  Why do they NEED to have contracts for ANY lifeforms?  No one owns them, right?  Shouldn't every species of animal that has actually existed just be public domain for this type of thing?  Or am I being naive? :)

I'll explain the Safari thing a little, for those who aren't completely aware. The Carnegie Collection is a high-end collection of figures that is decided upon, sculpted, and finalized by the Carnegie Museum. Safari Ltd is the company that they contract with to produce, market and distribute the figures.

From what I gathered, the contractual issues had to do with the contract between Safari (who makes the Wild Safari Dinosaurs and Prehistoric line) and Carnegie (who develops the Carnegie Collection).  So it isn't that someone owns the 'rights' to a species or something, but somehow, somewhere, there is something stating that prehistoric mammals in that particular size of figure are not allowed (so toobs would be alright, as would other sizes if they were so inclined, I guess).

Or, that was just the reason they gave, when in actuality the sales of those figures were mostly terrible and they didn't want to lose more money. No one ever said that, but I would guess it's a consideration.

CM

I was aware of the Carnegie-approved situation as far as accuracy went, guess I didn't realize how entwined the two entities were for business relations and that Safari required approval from Carnegie for things like species types.  I'd still be interested in the detailed reasons, which I realize we'll probably never get, but that does take me a few steps further than I was previously, so thanks. :)

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: SBell on September 26, 2012, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 26, 2012, 07:17:18 PM

I meant in regards to how they probably can make more synapsids/therapsids etc (i.e. non-mammalian synapsids) but that they don't.  What I should have said is that they aren't, at least now. Maybe it comes down to not wanting to make things with hair?

As such, I think the topic name is apt--they apparently can't, and so won't, make mammals (until/unless something changes, which would be great).

I don't think it has anything to do with hair if we are talking about WS here.  They make modern mammal figures no problem. 

ruel

There is at least one mammal -- the woolly mammoth -- in the Carnegie collection; I have one myself:

The regular Safari line also has a woolly mammoth:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: