News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Italian Gwangi?

Started by Roselaar, July 18, 2020, 01:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

I visited the exhibit Dino Makers this week, based on the brilliant tome Paleoart: Visions of the Prehistoric Past by Zoe Lescaze (comes highly recommended!). I found something unexpected.

There was a wall of vintage movie posters, among them this print of the Italian version of The Valley of Gwangi, on loan from the renowned EYE Film Museum in Amsterdam.
In itself a cool thing to see, but look at Gwangi's appearance, which differs considerably from the American movie poster...

Any idea as to what prompted this change? I can't imagine Gwangi actually looks different in the Italian version of the film, though I haven't seen it.

In short: what the heck?!

RobinGoodfellow

This is the official italian version of Gwangi:

But Italy is well-known for alternative movie-posters..  ;)

Roselaar

Hmm, also a bit different from its American counterpart. But aside from his ginormous size, Gwangi himself at least looks like he does in the movie, unlike on the other poster...

Justin_

The artists would have probably had just a few stills and maybe the US posters for reference. They wouldn't have seen the film.
Even this US poster takes quite a bit of license with Gwangi's size, and the second of those Italian ones has copied it.

Also, I don't remember Gila Golan getting quite such a torn dress at any point in the film as shown in those Italian posters, although it's been a while since I watched it.

Roselaar

Exaggerating size is one thing, but adding spikes and armor to Gwangi? Where's the line between misinformation and blatant false advertising? :)

Crackington

I suspect that Justin is right and that the the artist hadn't seen the film. They then decided to do their own thing and came up with a new species, an Allocanthus 🙂!

CityRaptor

Sure that classification is right? I mean he even got a tail club.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Crackington

Can't  see it myself, but if it is there then perhaps it's an Allokylosaurus instead?

CityRaptor

Perhaps. The club can be seen behind the people as Gwangi's tale goes behind them, as if he is planning to either wrap it around them or hit them from behind with his club.
Oh no

Crackington

Looked again and so it is! That's quite a beast, looks like Godzilla and Anguirus's love child!

Roselaar

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 19, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Perhaps. The club can be seen behind the people as Gwangi's tale goes behind them, as if he is planning to either wrap it around them or hit them from behind with his club.

Now I want to see the alternate cut of the movie where Gwangi looks and behaves like this! I don't mind Italian dubs for fun's sake. :)

CityRaptor

A smarter, better armored Gwangi? Yep, sounds fun.
Oh no

RobinGoodfellow

I did a quick research over the web.
The alternative movie poster of Gwangi was created from a USA edition (where Gwangi had a club-tail but not spikes)

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/bluray-item-list-uv-c-1_456_498/valley-of-the-gwangi-1969-bluray-p-23156.html

:)

Roselaar

I should check my DVD cover, I never bothered to notice if "my" Gwangi has a club tail or not.

Takama

This is my Copy of the film

Tail Club on my Gwangi

bmathison1972

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi is Italian? I thought he lived here in the US!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CityRaptor

Haha, very funny.

I missed out on the opportunity to get the DVD when it was released in Germany, but from pictures found on the net, he has the club here, too:
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2020, 09:33:59 PM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi is Italian? I thought he lived here in the US!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm an American Gwangi, no ankylosaur armor on me.  :))

I have the same DVD that Takama has and sure enough, there's a tail club. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Justin_

In this Japanese poster they've tipped him back so he's balancing on the curve of his tail, but they haven't added the feet which should now be visible.

I didn't know about this precursor to Gwangi, The Beast Of Hollow Mountain.

Gwangi

I've seen The Beast of Hollow Mountain. It's not as good as Gwangi but it's worth checking out.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: