News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Joe's collection

Started by callmejoe3, September 11, 2020, 05:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

So recently I've uncovered a box of old animal figures and models that I forgot about. Included species extant and extinct, so today I am going some of the more interesting of the extinct taxa.

(Left to Right)

2000 Toy Major triceratops (Dehorned for some reason)

2005 Toy Major triceratops

2006 Toy Major triceratops

2000 Toy Major ''Velociraptor''

Schleich AM lines Allosaurus

Brachiosaurus/Giraffatans

Safari Ltd 2008

Schleich 2007

Toy Major 2000

Woolly Mammoths!

Safari ltd adult x2

Safari ltd calf x2

Carnegie Collection Mammoth

Shonisaurus

Nice collection of figures, sauropods, woolly mammoths and dinosaurs from Toy Major you have a pretty cool collection. My congratulations on your collection. I did not know that there was such a brand Toy Major has quite nice figures.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 11, 2020, 07:09:03 PM
Nice collection of figures, sauropods, woolly mammoths and dinosaurs from Toy Major you have a pretty cool collection. My congratulations on your collection. I did not know that there was such a brand Toy Major has quite nice figures.

Yeah, the 2000 Toy Major lineup were the dinosaurs I've had the longest. I also had some dinosaurs made by a brand called Imperial. I once had a T.rex from them that I recently bought again on eBay.

Halichoeres

Nice! I especially like that Carnegie mammoth, still among the best prehistoric mammal toys ever made.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

callmejoe3

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 11, 2020, 11:17:50 PM
Nice! I especially like that Carnegie mammoth, still among the best prehistoric mammal toys ever made.

Yeah, it's my favorite out of the bunch as well. The only prehistoric mammal that's going to top it for me is eventually getting the PNSO Basilosaurus and someone making a good 1:40-1:30 scale Livyatan figure.

callmejoe3

Haven't posted here in a while, so I'm gonna update with some Fossil whales

Got the CollectA Basilosaurus. It's fairly to scale with the Papo Blue whale if you assume this is a extra-long 80ft individual.

And now here's my proudest new addition, the Rheic Livyatan!

I bought this off of eBay where the assembled and painted version costs $500 and the unpainted/ unassembled version costed $300. Decided to save some money with the added bonus of making look how I wanted.

For the coloration, I wanted to avoid giving it shark-like countershading or killer whale-like patterns and instead went with a more subdued look with the typical dark gray and white accents around the mouth and flippers similar to what's seen on modern sperm whales. I primarily wanted to interpret the Livyatan's skin to resemble extant macropredatory cetaceans such as pilot whales or false killer whales. I also used two different mixes of dark gray for some slight splotching for a more organic look.

My alpha collection of cetaceans is at the 1:40 scale. At about 460cm, this corresponds to a 60-ft Livyatan. This is how it looks compared to the largest macropredator today, the killer whale (25ft), and the Blue whale (102ft).

triceratops83

Superb job on that Livyatan, good thing you went with the unpainted version.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

callmejoe3

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2020, 10:35:23 PM
Superb job on that Livyatan, good thing you went with the unpainted version.

Thanks, I was really proud of how it turned out. It was a bit daunting because the model arrived WAY sooner than I expected it. It was a situation where I was more confident in how I didn't want it to look versus how I did want it to look.

Duna

Wow, you did a magnific paint work on that wonderful beast. The figure is very accurate. By the way, I really like your large blue whale. I have a special fascination with that animal and the three of them scale perfectly.

Faelrin

That Livyatan is an absolute beast. Congrats on getting that. Great paintwork you did with it too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

What an imposing beast! Must have been a very satisfying project. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

It has been fabled. You have made an artistic work of height. My congratulations.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 17, 2020, 10:20:58 AM
It has been fabled. You have made an artistic work of height. My congratulations.

Thanks!

BlueKrono

I've seen that seller on eBay. I've been tempted because of the species they have, but they seem fantastically overpriced. Are they 3-D printed? Is the quality decent for what you're paying?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

callmejoe3

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 18, 2020, 01:09:03 PM
I've seen that seller on eBay. I've been tempted because of the species they have, but they seem fantastically overpriced. Are they 3-D printed? Is the quality decent for what you're paying?

They are 3D Printed polyresin sculptures, and I would say it's an excellent figure. I would say when compared to say something like the PNSO Sperm whale or the Kaiyodo Megsaofubi Blue whale, it's priced accordingly.

callmejoe3

So I got a weird Christmas Eve surprise today, apparently, the eBay seller who sold me the Livyatan included a complimentary PNSO Ectenosaurus! I wasn't expecting this and I was very confused because I was concerned I was gonna get charged for some accidental order I made!

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new purchase, a new PNSO figure in your collection is a worthy Christmas gift.

callmejoe3

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 25, 2020, 12:18:48 AM
My congratulations on your new purchase, a new PNSO figure in your collection is a worthy Christmas gift.

Speaking of which. The Eocene king has arrived.

Shonisaurus

I am glad that you have in these special parties the basilosaurus of PNSO is one of my favorite prehistoric mammals, I hope for my part that one day PNSO will make a basilosaurus with the same characteristics or even with a superior sculpture and painting of that great prehistoric marine mammal on the same scale as the current vinyl but solid PVC. It is a dream that I hope one day to see come true.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: