News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2021

Started by Dinoxels, September 24, 2020, 10:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szajmin

Quote from: Loon on September 24, 2020, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 24, 2020, 12:55:28 PM
The Mosasaurus could also be worse of course, they could have went with the retro tail like on the micro version they had earlier.
The one part that really bothers me is that the tail looks noodly thin in the photo but I still hope it may just be the angle and then again better than the one Safari Ltd. had for a while and no weird shrink-wrapping on the head like on CollectA's version.

It's unfortunate that Mosasaurus itself really doesn't have a good figure yet, outside of the Kaiyodo from last year.

hmm collecta?

suspsy

Yup, the CollectA Mosasaurus is an awesome toy. Still one of my favourite mosasaurs.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

BlueKrono

It will pair nicely with their Plesiosaurus.  :-\
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the Mosasaur, as others said it has a bit of a retro feel and is kinda cyptid like. Maybe if a the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise had a sea serpent in it? it's weird and I like weird lol

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Primeval12

I'm sorry but these are not good..... I'm still salty that they retired the Psittacosaurus and then release ugly sculpts like these.

Justin_

The Ceratosaurus looks like it's singing into a microphone and playing one of these.....

Dinoxels

Quote from: Justin_ on September 24, 2020, 03:30:21 PM
The Ceratosaurus looks like it's singing into a microphone and playing one of these.....

I can't unsee that.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

stargatedalek

They're all terrible. At least the Mosasaur is different, everything else just looks as generic as it possibly could have been.

Martwad

Ughhh.....this is disappointing, but not unexpected.  Depending upon the size of the figures, I may go for the Kaprosuchus and Brontosaurus, to have something in the scale range I want.

Jose S.M.

Oh no. I had a bit of hope  for this ones, Ceratosaurus looks so awkward and along with the Mosasaurus looks like something that would come out in the late 80s- early 90s ( that has some charm for some people so good for them ) but Pachy is like a watered down Dracorex. The sculpt looks fine but something is giving me a weird feelling.

Shonisaurus

What I see in the initial photograph of the prototype is that the dome of the head of the pachycephalosaurus is quite small and the face of that dinosaur is quite angular, the arms seem to be very pronated and larger than normal. Otherwise the figure is outstanding and honestly for me it is the best Schleich figure of this year, brontosaurus and ceratosaurus are also quite acceptable figures.

The ceratosaurus should have smaller arms and it would have been more beautiful in a bipedal position, otherwise the legs and feet of the ceratosaurus judging by that initial photo of the ceratosaurus are quite good and the details of the skin of the ceratosaurus quite positive, What does not favor the figure of the ceratosaurus and the same I can say of the mosasaurus are the humanized eyes. Schleich has made a dinosaur figure with much more realistic eyes than this one.

The kaprosuchus is slender but somewhat hieratic and a very pronounced seam on the neck can be seen in the prototype, otherwise it is a decent figure although not as bright as that of other brands as I have already commented in the previous post.

The mosasaurus has a positive thing: the tail, it is not like JW's so it is a positive point to take into account in this figure, although it must also be said that it is the weakest figure in the group.

On the other hand, the brontosaurus is much better than his agustinia last year, although the figure has some details that should be discussed by the sculptor. The painting of the brontosaurus is quite bland and reminiscent of the apatosaurus of the Humbold Museum last figure in color except for those blue paint details.

DragonRider02

When I saw the Ceratosaurus, I imidiatelly though it looked just like this chinasaur toy I had as a kid:

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Loon on September 24, 2020, 12:04:07 PM
I had to...

OMG, absolutely brilliant memery.  ;D
That being said, now that people are comparing it to Plotosaurus, it actually doesn't look that bad anymore. It still looks rather derpy, but at least it looks like something. I may even be tempted to get it now, and just call it Plotosaurus.

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on September 24, 2020, 12:51:55 PM

Patrx

I want to be charitable here; the Brontosaurus at least looks like it has the right number of claws on its hands! That's to say, just the thumb claws. In general, yes, these are pretty rough. I'm a little surprised at how much worse the Pachycephalosaurus looks than their earlier Dracorex! Maybe it's just a bad picture?

Loon, that Arrested Development joke is -hilarious-.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: DragonRider02 on September 24, 2020, 05:10:15 PM
When I saw the Ceratosaurus, I imidiatelly though it looked just like this chinasaur toy I had as a kid:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought it... You can still see it in Chinasaurs bags!

Irritation

Wow. I was not expecting them to be revealed so soon. So here's my thoughts on these figures:

Ceratosaurus: Honestly, it's better than what I was expecting. It's like Deja Vu with their Baryonyx all over again. I still think Papo has the best Ceratosaurus figure out there, but Schleich's is still pretty good.

Kaprosuchus: Looks like a combination of the Safari Ltd Kaprosuchus and Prestosuchus, but I still like it.

Pachycephalosaurus: It's okay. I was hoping for some more original colors, but oh well.

Brontosaurus: Is it me or does it resemble the Jurassic World Apatosaurus? Still looks decent none the less.

Mosasaurus: It's a bit better than their Plesiosaurus, but Schleich still need to make some improvements.

Overall, this wave of figures is better than what we got this year.

PrimevalRaptor

That chinasaur comparison came to my mind too, didn't find an image to compare though, luckily it's a bit better than that one.

avatar_Irritation @Irritation Agreed on the JW Apato bit, especially the head. They did at least add some stripes but it does seem fairly similar.

Faelrin

I like the Ceratosaurus, Kaprosuchus, and Brontosaurus the most of these. Don't think the Pachycephalosaurus is terrible either, and no doubt it would pair well with their Dracorex, which also has a similar color scheme.

I realize the pose on the Ceratosaurus is an outdated tripod one, but I don't think it looks too different from many of the Carnegie Collection figures in that regard. What I like about it most is the color scheme. I think it is by far the most appealing (to me anyways) color scheme I've seen on a Ceratosaurus yet.

The Kaprosuchus is easily the best of these, but of course I prefer the Safari Ltd and Papo ones slightly more (sculpt and color schemes).

I don't think the Brontosaurus is too bad. It kind of reminds me of their older Replicasaurus Apatosaurus. The fore-digits look correct too? I'm not seeing any claws where there shouldn't be anyways.

The Mosasaurus is easily the weakest of these, as the proportions, etc are off, but at least they gave it a fluke. Could have been worse I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's a shame Schleich never made any more prehistoric mammals. They always come out with nice mammals in their wildlife range.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.