News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Garratt-ization continues.......

Started by martin garratt, March 17, 2012, 11:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Mentioned this on FB but it's an awesome piece bud and of course it has an Allosaurus..so instant WIN there.. ;D

ZoPteryx

Lady medusa

Im going to Have to find that thread on how you make your plants!!!! Is there a certain title i can look for? Or is it in one of the many pages of this thread? lol. Thats so awesome how you hid the suspention of that allosaurus!!! I really wish the would reconstruct dino skeletons with as much action as you have added in this scene!

martin garratt

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 13, 2012, 01:16:20 AM
Im going to Have to find that thread on how you make your plants!!!! Is there a certain title i can look for? Or is it in one of the many pages of this thread?

Here's the link to making some simple plants that I did for the base for the T.rex and Ankylosaurus - sculpted by Shane on the old DTF forum.
It's towards the bottom of the page.

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=art&thread=3831&page=12#113684

Lady medusa

Thanks sooo much!!!! I would had never guessed using acetate for plants!

martin garratt

Jeremy has pretty well covered all of the fantastic dinosaur kits that were available at Wonderfest with his excellent photos.
So I thought I would share this photo with you all.

This is Jeremy and myself taken at Wonderfest; it was really good meeting him again this year; can't wait until next year!!

martin garratt

Scansoriopteryx

I took two small dinosaur build-ups for the contest at Wonderfest; (bit restricted for space as I had such a lot of kits to bring back)

This one is a Scansoriopteryx which I sculpted out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt; the tree was different sizes of dowel covered with milliput,
and the foliage was a mixture of silk and plastic plants.

I was thrilled to receive 'Gold' with this one.

radman

Wow!  Congratulations!  I am honored to have several pieces of yours in my collection. ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's a beautiful piece Martin ! The color and pose..heck the whole scene is very interesting and has appeal to it..it deserved Gold easy. :)

Jeremy K9

My apologies Martin, for not getting any pics of your Scansoriopteryx statue. I don't even remember seeing that one. It may have been due to the fact that there were a few larger pieces in front of it. It looks beautiful, and the fact that it's something made entirely by you, makes it even better.  :)

What was the other piece you mentioned? I searched for your pieces, but all of the information was tucked under the contest entries. I didn't want to damage anyone's piece, by pulling the paper out from under it.

Btw, congratulations on winning the Gold.  :)

martin garratt

Shane's Iguanodon/Utahraptor - Wonderfest entry

This was my other entry at Wonderfest; Shane's Iguanodon/Utahraptor which I have modified.

I was very pleased to receive a bronze award for this one, it also won 'Best Dinosaur' and I got a
Shane Foulkes Torvosaurus as a result - couldn't be more pleased.  :)

ataraxus

wow, both are great. i like the color scheme of the iguanodon! and the first diorama is original, very life like!!!

ZoPteryx

Those are amazing!  I really like the head crest on the Scansoriopteryx!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ummm..how the heck is that Utahraptor staying up there ? I don't see any poles, wire or anything :?

Nice score on the Torvosaurus..can't wait to see what you do with it bud ! ;D

Bokisaurus

its so depressing to see all these amazing pieces of art! Depressing due to the fact that I will never be able to afford them, or have one of your custom paint works (well maybe someday  ^-^).
Really beautiful work.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 05, 2012, 06:09:42 AM
its so depressing to see all these amazing pieces of art! Depressing due to the fact that I will never be able to afford them, or have one of your custom paint works (well maybe someday  ^-^).
Really beautiful work.

To be honest ..you'd be surprised at how reasonable Martin is. :)

postsaurischian

Amazing ....... absolutely amazing, Martin!
The Scansoriopteryx diorama is outstanding :o!!!

And I also ask myself: What keeps the Utahraptor in the air?

sepp

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 05, 2012, 09:49:31 AM

Looks to me like the Utahraptor is suppourted by the claws it has buried in the Iguanodon's back :)
...But I may speak too soon, sorry to answer your question prematurely, Mr. Garratt  ;D

martin garratt

Quote from: sepp on June 05, 2012, 09:54:22 AM

Looks to me like the Utahraptor is suppourted by the claws it has buried in the Iguanodon's back :)
...But I may speak too soon, sorry to answer your question prematurely, Mr. Garratt  ;D

Yes, the Utahraptor is surported by one claw; I have drilled up the claw and finger, into the arm and shoulder and
inserted a 2mm welding rod.  I've drilled into the Iguanodon's back, the welding rod fits into this and supports the Utahraptor.

It was fully removable for safe transit to Wonderfest.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: martin garratt on June 05, 2012, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: sepp on June 05, 2012, 09:54:22 AM

Yes, the Utahraptor is surported by one claw; I have drilled up the claw and finger, into the arm and shoulder and
inserted a 2mm welding rod.  I've drilled into the Iguanodon's back, the welding rod fits into this and supports the Utahraptor.

It was fully removable for safe transit to Wonderfest.

Wow..that's a lot for one claw to conceal ! I've seen it done with hands, feet..even tails...mostly from you Martin, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: