You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

S

Amazon trashes unsold Products including brand-new Toys

Started by Stolpergeist, November 05, 2020, 07:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Oh wow, your probably right to be honest. However the thought of Schleich Cryos and Acros being destroyed when they don't sell is a little pleasing for me to hear. However if stuff like the Psittacosaurus and Triceratops are being destroyed, I really dislike the thought of that.
Makes me wonder if Safari ltd. stuff gets destroyed too  :-\
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Loon

I guess donating them would be too expensive for a company owned by the richest man in the world.

Shonisaurus

But those toys, clothes, cosmetics and furniture can be useful to many, many people who are having a terrible financial time. It seems to me an attitude on the part of Amazon and other companies dehumanized and lacking in love from my honest point of view. There are many children and adults and the elderly who would like some of the products that are thrown into the landfill, especially when they are new, toys are very good for children and cosmetic items, clothing and furniture are used indistinctly for adults, children and the elderly who They are really going through very badly because of the results of the coronavirus pandemic and apart from that of the tail-blows that still hit many families the last global economic crisis of 2007-2008.

It is neither ethical nor moral.

Loon

stargatedalek

They could at least discount them somehow, send them to auction houses or sell them to liquidation stores. This is generally what was thought Amazon was doing, but apparently not.

Destroying them is not only disrespectful and wasteful, but illogical from the point of a business.

Sarapaurolophus

Somehow people tend to forget they do this. An article like this comes around once or twice a year, people act shocked, rinse and repeat. Never send something back to Amazon, try and sell it yourself. That's the best way to ensure they don't just trash it.

Justin_

Not only do they trash unsold products but they buy them in massive amounts in the first place to stop other retailers getting them, plus they can twist the supplier's arms for huge discounts because of the huge orders they make, so you're not even really supporting the manufacturers by buying from Amazon. They can sell things cheap but they don't care what they sell. There are the absolutely abhorrent things third party sellers can list there which don't get removed until enough people complain about them. Imagine if your local grocery store operated like that. Anyone could wander in and just stick garbage on the shelves.

CityRaptor

Probably a lot. Sounds like products aren't even recycled.

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on November 05, 2020, 10:41:40 PM
Somehow people tend to forget they do this. An article like this comes around once or twice a year, people act shocked, rinse and repeat. Never send something back to Amazon, try and sell it yourself. That's the best way to ensure they don't just trash it.

Wasn't that about products being returned to them?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

I canceled Amazon Prime after they pitted American cities against each other in a zero-sum rent-seeking game for HQ2, and I've seldom felt better about a decision as a consumer.

Not that it made a difference, of course.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Apart from the comments. This way of throwing new Amazon products to the landfill and that apart from that they are not perishable is a way, as already indicated in previous posts, of throwing money away, it is a frivolous way of wasting that I do not understand why. I do not think it is a good strategy on the part of Amazon or any of the companies around the world that adopt that position, as I have already commented previously, little human and I could say little logic.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 05, 2020, 07:35:00 PM
Oh wow, your probably right to be honest. However the thought of Schleich Cryos and Acros being destroyed when they don't sell is a little pleasing for me to hear.

To me, any kind of satisfiction feels wrong here. Didn´t we agree on not randomly using any comment or thread as a cause for company bashing the other day?

I´d rather see even the worst Schleich figures being donated than dumped.

The thought of new wares being dumped disgusts me to the highest degree. This is capitalism at its final stage.

Much food is being dumped and destroyed, too. It´s a shame to put it bluntly. We should all - including me - be ashamed at our excess and exorbitance enabling this to happen, making overproduction an accepted  phenomenon .

However, I am pessimistic that anything will change as long as we still feed the hands that bite us (sic!).

Online dealers such as amazon disdain mankind to the highest degree, camouflaging it as comforting us.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 06, 2020, 07:08:51 AM
avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor Have you also noticed how lately more and more often Amazon ads show up on television since the pandemic started, even on the public channels, where they portray the company in a positive light as an inclusive workspace that is open to people of marginalized groups and offers careers for everyone in an oh so friendly company free of discrimination?
It's already bad enough that they made ads specifically to manipulate the conscience of the customer but that ARD and ZDF of all channels air those really upsets me.

I am with you on this.

Plus: I know marketing has to take perverse step sometimes. One of the latest pervert tricks Amazon is - in Germany at least - that they integrate a doorbell into their radio and TV spots. They intrude into our homes in a manner one can only call intrusive and make it look like they do comfort us.

CityRaptor

At least they do seem to hire everyone. Had a flyer in my mailbox that states that one can apply for a job there without a curriculum vitae. Yeah, that probably is not a good sign regarding the jobs they offer.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

As someone who worked for UPS for a while, I can say that a good amount of my coworkers had also worked at Amazon. I hated that job, but from what they told me of Amazon, UPS was Heaven.

Justin_

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 06, 2020, 09:50:50 AM
.....Had a flyer in my mailbox that states that one can apply for a job there without a curriculum vitae. Yeah, that probably is not a good sign
Did they say expect to walk at least 11 miles around the warehouse every day, with someone regularly reminding you you aren't working fast enough.

BlueKrono

Speaking from experience, working at Amazon is brutal. Worst job I've ever had, and I've had some bad ones. It's a people mill, where they take in mostly 18-29 year olds and work them so hard they break (back problems, hip, neck and ankle injuries, etc). Then they get rid of them and hire more people. These young people then have long-term injuries for the rest of their life, but they're off Amazon's payroll. We had a light by the front door that would indicate how many people had been injured not in the previous week, but the previous 12 hour SHIFT. The light was almost always on.

Keep in mind Amazon really could choose to do whatever they like with their products. Everything they sell on Amazon.com makes up only a tiny portion of their income, most of which comes from selling cloud space to larger entities. Throwing out non-biodegradable toys sounds pretty low, but I wouldn't put it past Amazon. Like avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I terminated my Prime account this year, seeing the continued protests by my former coworkers for working conditions and anti-unionization efforts. In the end money talks.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

I did not know that in Amazon there was labor exploitation and what is worse, I suppose that many workers would suffer workplace harassment from their superiors, especially what is called in Christian mobbing.

Halichoeres

One of my favorite pastimes now is to browse books on Amazon, read the reviews, etc, and then order them through bookshop.org for pickup at my local bookstore.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Martwad

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , the United States should not be viewed as a beacon of human freedoms.  Corporate profits reign here, and always have.  Our Gini Coefficient is topped by most 3rd world countries, it's just that the country, as a whole, is so wealthy that it appears to be thriving.  I'm not sure how soon, but the bottom is going to fall out from under us, eventually.  I suspect when the Euro becomes more stable, the rest of the world will choose it as the global currency.  Then, the last grip the United States has will be pulled form it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: