News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 11, 2021, 03:55:01 AM

Hot damn, that Helicoprion looks incredible. I love how they've struck a perfect balance between a shark-convergent form and an appearance that still recalls their modern ratfish relatives.

Concavenator

Am I the only one who thinks the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus is too bulky? I don't know, I have the Eofauna Giganotosaurus and I think they should look very similar mass-wise, and the Eofauna Giga is noticeably slimmer, which I believe is correct as allosauroids didn't have so much mass as tyrannosaurids. But that Carcharodontosaurus is almost as bulky as the Tyrannosaurus... Will have to see more pics of this one, but I'm not really a fan of the so apparent wrinkling, I think it's handled much better on the Allosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

I mean I like my allosaurids bulkier, and its not too unlikely, maybe for the small ones like allosaurus and concavenator, but I can see saurophaganax, yangchuanosaurus, giganotosaurus, etc. Especially muscle mass.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2021, 09:25:10 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus is too bulky? I don't know, I have the Eofauna Giganotosaurus and I think they should look very similar mass-wise, and the Eofauna Giga is noticeably slimmer, which I believe is correct as allosauroids didn't have so much mass as tyrannosaurids. But that Carcharodontosaurus is almost as bulky as the Tyrannosaurus... Will have to see more pics of this one, but I'm not really a fan of the so apparent wrinkling, I think it's handled much better on the Allosaurus.
I am starting to notice this too, which leads me to slightly leaning towards GR Toy's Carcharodontosaurus. Unless someone can provide some corrections on this matter.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2021, 11:23:22 PM
I am starting to notice this too, which leads me to slightly leaning towards GR Toy's Carcharodontosaurus. Unless someone can provide some corrections on this matter.

I think y'all are severely underestimating just how wide Tyrannosaurus is.

The PNSO figure is no where near the same bulkiness as Tyrannosaurus.

Since published postcranial elements of Carcharodontosaurus are basically non-existent to my knowledge, here's Giganotosaurus for comparison.

Keep in mind, the width depicted here includes the absolute minimal amount of soft tissue.

SRF

Quote from: Flaffy on May 14, 2021, 08:04:14 AM
Quote from: Bread on May 13, 2021, 11:23:22 PM

Since published postcranial elements of Carcharodontosaurus are basically non-existent to my knowledge, here's Giganotosaurus for comparison.

Keep in mind, the width depicted here includes the absolute minimal amount of soft tissue.

Thanks, this is helpful. Also when comparing that photo of the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus from the top to Wilson, the latter is definitely wider and much bulkier.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

Thanks, that's most helpful. I see no reason, as far as I'm concerned, not to purchase this splendid PNSO Carcharodontosaurus. (I've got one on order through Dan's anyways - no regrets).

KeU

Good info Flaffy.
I agree.
Given their larger size compared to Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus should be proportionately thicker to support the larger mass.
But still not at Tyrannosaurus bulk levels, so Tyrannosaurus fans can relax, it is still the Arnold Schwarzenegger among Theropods. But definitely no Eliud Kipchoge.

Stegotyranno420

I see tyrannosaurus more as a (relativley) intelligent and robust person, and large allosaurids in general as body builder athletes or something.
Also, why is it that only tyrannosaurus is so strangely wide. Tarbosaurus, based on the words of some members, was almost the size yet quote "not even in the same weight class". Earlier tyrannosaurs were proportionally lean, then boom comes the tyrannosaurus? i couldnt find anything with normal searching. Sorry if its slightly off-topic

Leyster

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 14, 2021, 04:41:45 PM
I see tyrannosaurus more as a (relativley) intelligent and robust person, and large allosaurids in general as body builder athletes or something.
Also, why is it that only tyrannosaurus is so strangely wide. Tarbosaurus, based on the words of some members, was almost the size yet quote "not even in the same weight class". Earlier tyrannosaurs were proportionally lean, then boom comes the tyrannosaurus? i couldnt find anything with normal searching. Sorry if its slightly off-topic
Tarbosaurus is still a tad smaller than Tyrannosaurus. The biggest specimen, PIN 551-1, is more or less 10 meters long, but PIN 551-2 is like 8,5 meters. It's closer to other bigger Tyrannosauridae like Albertosaurus and Bistahieversor than to Tyrannosaurus.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

Good point, but why and how did tyrannosaurus become so rapidly big and fat?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 14, 2021, 05:35:46 PM

I think rapidly is maybe the wrong word. All this happens over millions of years. And Changes. Changes in the Ecosystem, climatechanges, Animalchanges...I guess Tyrannosaurus rex found its niche and got the way, its got. Evolution is still just a Therory People are working with. So rules change sometimes a bit or new Questions show up. It is not happening over a few years and its not a decision made directly by the Animal. I sometimes forget these immense Timeframes we are talking about. Of course i know, but i sometimes have to remind me, of how long everything was. Times, i as a human, can't fully understand. Just read or think about it and try to fit it in my personal Timescale. I guess.

Bulk is big. Big means maybe a problem for other Animals/rivals. Survival of the fittest. And in this niche, i guess its survival of the biggest. And in the end, we just assume.

Stegotyranno420

Of coruse it took lots of time, but on a geological scale, a few million years is nothing.

Concavenator

Yes, width-wise, the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus looks excellent, I was just referring to its profile. That, compared to the Eofauna Giganotosaurus it looks quite bulkier, or at least that's my impression. The GR version is more gracile whlist not being shrink wrapped or overly thin, it hits me as just right, as with the Eofauna Giganotosaurus or the PNSO Allosaurus.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 13, 2021, 09:37:03 PM
I mean I like my allosaurids bulkier, and its not too unlikely, maybe for the small ones like allosaurus and concavenator, but I can see saurophaganax, yangchuanosaurus, giganotosaurus, etc. Especially muscle mass.
Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus weren't allosaurids. They were allosauroids, but that doesn't make them belong to the Allosauridae family. Which means they weren't very closely related. Still, I think that's a weak argument. Of course a Giganotosaurus will have more mass than an Allosaurus (because it's bigger), but it's reasonable to think that they were proportionally similar.

I think you are referring to tyrannosauroids in general, which also includes tyrannosaurids. I read part of a chapter of Brusatte's The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs book in which he talked about this group. He explains how the basal members were as small as Dilong, with some random exceptions like Yutyrannus and Sinotyrannus. Then, he referred to the Middle Cretaceous as a perioid with little information, and with a notable predominance of other groups of theropods (spinosaurids but specially carcharodontosaurids), and then somehow some of the bigger ones like Lythronax started appearing. Then Albertosaurus Gorgosaurus, Daspletosaurus... and then Tyrannosaurus itself, also mentioning the recently recognized Alioramini tribe. So "tyrannosaurs" had quite an history of evolution and gradual change. From what I read, more findings of tyrannosauroids from the Middle Cretaceous would be important to better understand the whole process.

SRF

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 14, 2021, 06:40:07 PM
Of coruse it took lots of time, but on a geological scale, a few million years is nothing.

Tyrannosaurus isn't the result of a few million years of evolution of course. Sure it's a lot bigger than its closest relatives Tarbosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus, but those big animals were also descendants of very, very small species. The evolutionary jump from a small animal like Dilong to Daspletosaurus is a lot bigger than from Daspletosaurus to T. Rex.

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on May 14, 2021, 07:07:41 PM
Yes, width-wise, the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus looks excellent, I was just referring to its profile. That, compared to the Eofauna Giganotosaurus it looks quite bulkier, or at least that's my impression. The GR version is more gracile whlist not being shrink wrapped or overly thin, it hits me as just right, as with the Eofauna Giganotosaurus or the PNSO Allosaurus.

Ah, I see. Honestly, I feel that it's moreso the Eofauna Giganotosaurus being on the gracile side itself, rather than Carcharodontosaurus being too thick.

SRF

Quote from: Concavenator on May 14, 2021, 07:07:41 PM

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 13, 2021, 09:37:03 PM
Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus weren't allosaurids. They were allosauroids, but that doesn't make them belong to the Allosauridae family. Which means they weren't very closely related. Still, I think that's a weak argument. Of course a Giganotosaurus will have more mass than an Allosaurus (because it's bigger), but it's reasonable to think that they were proportionally similar.

I think you are referring to tyrannosauroids in general, which also includes tyrannosaurids. I read part of a chapter of Brusatte's The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs book in which he talked about this group. He explains how the basal members were as small as Dilong, with some random exceptions like Yutyrannus and Sinotyrannus. Then, he referred to the Middle Cretaceous as a perioid with little information, and with a notable predominance of other groups of theropods (spinosaurids but specially carcharodontosaurids), and then somehow some of the bigger ones like Lythronax started appearing. Then Albertosaurus Gorgosaurus, Daspletosaurus... and then Tyrannosaurus itself, also mentioning the recently recognized Alioramini tribe. So "tyrannosaurs" had quite an history of evolution and gradual change. From what I read, more findings of tyrannosauroids from the Middle Cretaceous would be important to better understand the whole process.

If I'm not mistaken, Tyrannosaurus Rex is closer related to the Asian Tyrannosaurids Tarbosaurus and Zhuchengtyrannus than to the American Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus etc. Meaning that we're indeed still missing a lot of information on how Tyrannosaurus Rex exactly came to be the apex predator of North America/Laramidia.

Stegotyranno420

I know, i am aware tyrannosaurus had a gradual change, but im just confused to why tyrannosaurus is like much bigger compared to its closest relatives, but it makes sense, as wolfs are far larger than say jackals or coyotes, both being relatives(its even more extreme since they are the same genus). With large sauropods in its environment, it makes sense tyrannosaurus became very large
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator yes its reasonable to think allosaurus and distant relatives were similar in proportion, but again with canids, the wolves are much more bulkier than their distant relatives, like foxes, maned wolves, and close relatives like jackals, so its not unreasonable either

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 13, 2021, 02:59:08 PM

Hot damn, that Helicoprion looks incredible. I love how they've struck a perfect balance between a shark-convergent form and an appearance that still recalls their modern ratfish relatives.

They went just a tad too ratfish, but it's still pretty great overall.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Renecito

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2021, 10:23:06 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 13, 2021, 02:59:08 PM

They went just a tad too ratfish, but it's still pretty great overall.

That's true but I personally love it, I think it looks very alive.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: