News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

to those who are complaining that Andrea does not match Wilson aesthetically, why not just consider Andrea an updated version of Wilson albeit in resting form?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Bread

Quote from: Abobo on August 05, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
on Paleofiguras Facebook, they wrote this august 2 :

(Translated from Spanish)

"As we understood there are four important releases for this line. Two of them have already come out, consisting of Tyrannosaurus rex "Wilson" (AMNH 5027) and Stegosaurus "Biber" (USNM 4934). The two that remain are the Triceratops "Doyle" (AMNH 5116) and a 1:35 scale adult Spinosaurus based on the most recent discoveries."
Now this interests me. Out of the three museum figures (not including Wilson) the one that interest me the most is the Triceratops. When we first were given teaser artwork for the genus, it really did not look appealing in my opinion. Now with second thoughts in my mind, I am really interested as I am currently looking for a good Triceratops figure. Eofauna's I took a pass on as the colors, seen from reviews, did not match my needs. BOTM's is another option as I plan on getting their Tyrannosaurus, but this PNSO Doyle Version 2 could really blow me away! Come on PNSO RELEASE IT!

SidB

Quote from: Faras on August 05, 2021, 03:20:57 PM
My pleasure *bows* :)

Judging from Zhao's tone, seems he made skinny reconstruction (mainly the legs) then the team added details and bulks. Maybe it would look more natural if he did the bulk.

More pics of spino from Weibo:

They've posted too many pics with different poses and age groups... guess we'd better not to expect anything specific atm  :o
The pose on the last image - swimming Spino, is quite reminiscent of Doug Watson's Safari figure, with updates.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: sauroid on August 05, 2021, 04:35:18 PM
to those who are complaining that Andrea does not match Wilson aesthetically, why not just consider Andrea an updated version of Wilson albeit in resting form?

Because the majority of people buying it will have it be complimentary to Wilson (i.e. sitting next to him on a shelf) rather than a standalone piece. Having her in a prone position, as much as I hate to say it because we need more sitting dinosaur figures, makes her less of a contender for the be-all and end-all of Tyrannosaurus figures.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 06, 2021, 07:27:19 AM
Because the majority of people buying it will have it be complimentary to Wilson (i.e. sitting next to him on a shelf) rather than a standalone piece. Having her in a prone position, as much as I hate to say it because we need more sitting dinosaur figures, makes her less of a contender for the be-all and end-all of Tyrannosaurus figures.
Exactly. Plus the figure's legs still do not look like they are in a resting pose. Stop comparing it to Ostriches, that is a very different animal then a massive ambush  pack hunting carnivorous theropod.
Quote from: Flaffy on July 19, 2021, 07:28:35 AM
Here's Stan for example, with to my knowledge the maximum degree of heel folding:

Notice how the leg does not completely fold to the point where the tibia & fibula are parallel to the metatarsals. The ankle looks snapped on the figure.
If PNSO insists on a belly resting pose, then I would've liked to see something like Shinzen Takeuchi's Tyrannosaurus kit:

These are perfect examples of why Andrea is wrong. And even if that top image is what Andrea had, she would be resting on her pelvis which makes no sense. We keep wanting to go "oh modern day animal" with defending certain poses, but I think for some of you it's easy to forget that these animals may have achieved poses no modern day animals do.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Dinoxels on August 06, 2021, 11:04:13 AM
Exactly. Plus the figure's legs still do not look like they are in a resting pose. Stop comparing it to Ostriches, that is a very different animal then a massive ambush  pack hunting carnivorous theropod.
Quote from: Flaffy on July 19, 2021, 07:28:35 AM
Here's Stan for example, with to my knowledge the maximum degree of heel folding:

Notice how the leg does not completely fold to the point where the tibia & fibula are parallel to the metatarsals. The ankle looks snapped on the figure.
If PNSO insists on a belly resting pose, then I would've liked to see something like Shinzen Takeuchi's Tyrannosaurus kit:

These are perfect examples of why Andrea is wrong. And even if that top image is what Andrea had, she would be resting on her pelvis which makes no sense. We keep wanting to go "oh modern day animal" with defending certain poses, but I think for some of you it's easy to forget that these animals may have achieved poses no modern day animals do.
Why should we stop comparing to modern animals? We don't have evidence for resting poses for these animals, so why not use the closest living relatives as a reference for speculation? The best thing we can do is speculate unless conclusive evidence in fossil form is found. Without that you cannot claim it's "wrong", it's just a speculative interpretation that hasn't been presented as factual. There is no need for "defense". You are speculating and interpreting in the same way that the people from the AMNH and PNSO did. You not liking their interpretation doesn't make it wrong and your's valid. Neither is right or wrong without sufficient evidence. Sorry to be so blunt but these kinds of arguments that try to shut down other people's ideas really irk me.

sauroid

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on August 06, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Why should we stop comparing to modern animals? We don't have evidence for resting poses for these animals, so why not use the closest living relatives as a reference for speculation? The best thing we can do is speculate unless conclusive evidence in fossil form is found. Without that you cannot claim it's "wrong", it's just a speculative interpretation that hasn't been presented as factual. There is no need for "defense". You are speculating and interpreting in the same way that the people from the AMNH and PNSO did. You not liking their interpretation doesn't make it wrong and your's valid. Neither is right or wrong without sufficient evidence. Sorry to be so blunt but these kinds of arguments that try to shut down other people's ideas really irk me.
agreed 100%
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 06, 2021, 07:27:19 AM

My sense of the flow of ideas, speculations, conclusions, etc. is that, while our knowledge is advancing dramatically, we are never likely to be "there" in terms of be-all-and-end-all absolute certainty. There'll always be gaps and grey areas that leave room for questioning.

sauroid

wouldnt it be great if the upcoming Spinosaurus figure is in a swimming pose (with acrylic rod supports)?
(lets get over the idea of a PNSO family of Spinosaurus. theres no evidence that Spinosaurus lived in a family unit with different age offsprings like mammals)

Gwangi

avatar_sauroid @sauroid, I think the idea is that people want to display them together, PNSO intended for them to be displayed together, and yet they still don't really display together well. Of course you can consider it whatever you want, just get one, get both and display them separately, whatever.

Shane

Abobo

Well not a new Spino yet but this: after a bunch of theropods, are we on an sea prehistoric animals roll?

Carnoking

Man after all of that build up to the spino and instead they drop this. Oh well, I'm sure this will still make a bunch of people happy (plus it's another one I won't have to worry myself about!)

Bread

I am gonna need avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres to give a full assessment on this. I know Halichoeres also has a Dunkleosteus thread analyzing all the figures currently made that represent this genus. Is this a valuable contestant to be the perfect model for this genus?

Abobo

Quote from: Carnoking on August 06, 2021, 02:10:03 PM
Man after all of that build up to the spino and instead they drop this. Oh well, I'm sure this will still make a bunch of people happy (plus it's another one I won't have to worry myself about!)

PNSO released Bieber the museum line Stegosaurus during their theropods releases
One can hope it will come soon:)

PrimevalRaptor

With this being their second prehistoric fish one could hope if they'll maybe tackle Xiphactinus or Leedsichthys in the future.
Very big fan of the texturing and the skin folds, feels really natural in that regard. Seems a bit more elongated than other Dunkleosteus?

Andre

This being #47, there is now no numbering gaps. Maybe they are finally done with the mid size range..

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread I too want to see what avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has to say about this.

But I will say it does have a fluked tail (although at first glance it does bare similarity to CollectA's 2018 take, but looking at the 2017 paper, the shape is similar in the reconstruction provided there as well), skin covering its armor, and the shclerotic rings are inside the eye, and not exposed. The fins are also shark-like, as with the 2014 Favorite figure, possibly CollectA's 2018 figure too. I'm also not so sure about the shape and placement of the dorsal fin, and the long body, or the number of fins (which is similar to CollectA's 2018 figure as well). I'm guessing its smaller relative Coccosteus was once again referenced here? I'm also wondering if the meckel's cartilage is present, something many Dunkleosteus figures apparently lack. I'll have to revisit that thread in particular and reviews he's done to gather a better assessment.

I will say I rather like the coloration. It reminds me of a trout, although I'm guessing a bit more counter shading would have been more accurate to its niche?

I would also be curious to see if PNSO has mentioned anything about why they've chosen to depict it this way, and/or what their references were, such as for the longer body. I honestly don't think I've seen any reconstructions like this before.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: