News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

so would the figures that have been announced and previewed so far be the total for this year and the new batch will be in 2022? i certainly hope so. my wallet/cc needs some rest.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

avatar_sauroid @sauroid, I agree and that's a very positive way of looking at the developing PNSO situation.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: sauroid on August 07, 2021, 08:08:23 PM
so would the figures that have been announced and previewed so far be the total for this year and the new batch will be in 2022? i certainly hope so. my wallet/cc needs some rest.

There should be at least one more, we're still missing number 48 in the Prehistoric Animal Models line.

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/PNSO_Prehistoric_Animal_Models
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 07, 2021, 10:29:49 PM

There should be at least one more, we're still missing number 48 in the Prehistoric Animal Models line.

-Connor the Torvosaurus: Am I a joke to you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Concavenator on August 07, 2021, 11:20:23 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 07, 2021, 10:29:49 PM

-Connor the Torvosaurus: Am I a joke to you?

Lol I guess the wiki needs updating 😂
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

Sorry, I've been away for a couple days, but it's gratifying that people are interested in my take on the new Dunkleosteus. Y'all know how to make a guy feel appreciated.

From an accuracy perspective, there are two things that jumped out at me right away, one good, one bad. The good is that the patterning on the armor and on the unarmored skin is continuous, which is typical for fishes with heavy dermal skeletons. The bad is that the gill openings are in completely the wrong place; they should be behind the inferognathal (the main part of the lower jaw) and should not extend so far up the side of the head. It's an understandable and common mistake, but the lateral plates, including the infraorbitals, do not function as an operculum as the similarly placed bones in an actinopterygian would. Kaiyodo nailed the gill openings in 2001, but other companies have either punted on this or gotten it wrong, as PNSO has done here.

There are other foibles, but I think I'll deal with them more at length in the Dunkleosteus thread.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I agree, Denis does really nice prehistoric fish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Thank you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres! I'll be looking out for that further explanation on your thread.

This Dunkleosteus may be my first prehistoric fish figure. I know this fish is rather abundant in the prehistoric animal toy market, but PNSO's, Kaiyodo and Favorite Co. all seem to be the only appealing ones that strike me.

Also, hopefully this is the last figure in the medium size range. Allows everyone to finally catch up for this year.

Abobo

JohannesB

Quote from: Abobo on August 08, 2021, 03:05:44 PM

Nice, but still a pass for me (if this is indeed a picture of an upcoming model).

Carnoking

If all we get is a repaint of that model after all of this buildup I would be pretty disappointed.

On the other hand, they've done so much awesome new stuff already, it's not unreasonable if they just want to do a couple repaints

SidB

Again, it's good to get a bit of a break from all the new releases.

sauroid

there could be a repaint of the old Spino and a NEW Spino coming up.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faras

Quote from: Abobo on August 08, 2021, 03:05:44 PM

Thought I've seen this paint in Tieba a while ago, managed to find the post: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7159369842 (Dec 2020)

Edit: phew finally found these. Seems PNSO just reposted pic of the old Spino prototype (made before bankruptcy) there. They changed the paint when officially releasing this figure.

PS: probs Dinone Studio sculptor's room in second pic judging from unpainted Yangchuanosaurus. He painted several PNSO prototypes.

SRF

They posted that picture together with another picture of Essien 2.0 from last year. I don't think this is a reveal of a new figure.

PNSO is sharing a lot of Spinosaurus stuff lately, but I'm still not sure where it should lead to.
But today, I'm just being father

Psittacoraptor

From their Instagram:

Quotepnso.official
Both models are available on PNSO Amazon and AliExpress online store.

Lol. All this teasing only to announce that their two old(er) Spinosaurus models are available on Amazon and Aliexpress. ;D But I agree with S @SidB and avatar_sauroid @sauroid , they should stop with the new releases for a while and let people catch up. With the price binding on Aliexpress and the new EU tax law, many customers won't spend their money as readily on their figures as before anyway.

Flaffy

We still have that mystery mosasaur in the Marine Museum series to watch out for.

Kapitaenosavrvs

What a wonderful open and close mechanism on the Dunk. A neat thing. I am really interested in how the Paintjob will come out. All in all interesting Figure.

Bread

I wouldn't be mad at a repaint, and I don't think anyone should be. If they were to fix the hands, the thumbs mainly, followed by a slight modification to the tail to current evidence, I would immediately pick this model up. Even if it would sacrifice some of my limited shelf space. I always liked old Essien, but the hands always bothered me.

Faras

Quote from: Maritimer on August 06, 2021, 11:42:28 PM

I think that's exactly what PNSO's done here - or at least, attempted to do . .

I see a point of articulation just in front of the tongue here, and another at the top / back of the skull. The way I read it, the gill-plates move forward as the mouth is opened at both top and bottom, exposing the red gill filaments, and as it closes, the gill plates slide back to cover the gill filaments.

Clever design, that . . .

I'm also amused by the very slider-turtle eyes on this model.

~B.

Indeed! This one has four joints for head articulation:

Will trabstale the lot when I get my paws on PC  :)

Flaffy

Woah! Didn't expect any company to include head articulation along with jaw articulation, but PNSO does it again. The simple fact that this Dunkleosteus can close it's mouth (completely) to begin with makes it a far more unique figure.

I'll wait for more in-hand pics of the Dunkleosteus to make a final decision. I want to know if on the final product, those displaced gills can be fully hidden with a closed-mouth pose; and to see how well PNSO managed to engineer this form of articulation.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: