News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

In PNSO's defense, aren't these a little more reasonably priced in China?

Antey

Quote from: Carnoking on December 22, 2021, 03:28:53 PM
For buyers in Russia who do not pay VAT and have free shipping with Aliexpress, the price is the same $ 60. However, I will not discuss the price set by the company. In the end, they decide how much their labor is worth. If the buyers do not agree, the product will not be sold and sooner or later we will see good discounts.
I am much more surprised by the indignation of buyers from countries that in their history lived under market relations. All my childhood and youth passed under the communists, when prices were social and regulated by the state. However, it turns out that I am a greater supporter of the market than you, brought up by capitalist relations. This is a paradox!

suspsy

Quote from: Antey on December 22, 2021, 03:41:31 PM
I am much more surprised by the indignation of buyers from countries that in their history lived under market relations. All my childhood and youth passed under the communists, when prices were social and regulated by the state. However, it turns out that I am a greater supporter of the market than you, brought up by capitalist relations. This is a paradox!

That is neither an argument in favour of increasingly higher PNSO prices nor against people's distaste for them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I'm going to be frank, but it looks like a bootleg! It does not make sense for those kind of poor paint apps, and with it nearly the same size as the cheaper Parasaurolophus, which also happens to have better paint apps (I would dare say the even cheaper Lambeosaurus does too, both of those I own), yet costs more. Unfortunately this is also what I feared and expected with their recent track record.

This goes back to the cost cutting measures of having seams but keeping the prices at $40+. There is clearly a trend of dropping the quality but keeping the price high on my, and others end. As a result I also have a much higher expectation for these products then what we've seen thus far, so long as they keep pricing them like this. Again for that kind of price I could buy a BotM figure that would live up to what it costs in terms of paint apps, articulation, and size.

Edit: As another matter of perspective the Mattel Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus both cost $49.99 (though I managed to buy the latter at half off), are both huge, and are articulated. The only thing not going for it is the simplified paint apps (such as unpainted claws, and the base color is the plastic), but I think the size of them helps justify it more. The Apatosaurus has a pretty detailed paint app in comparison to the Brachiosaurus however.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faras

Yep, official prices are ¥229 ($36) for Iguanodon and ¥169 ($26.5) for Parasaurolophus. I'm only buying during sales, managed to get Iguanodon for $24 (bought Parasaurolophus for $23 with smaller discounts).

Recent museum line releases tend to come with big discounts on Taobao, e.g. most paid $27.8 for new Triceratops (official price is $39).

CARN0TAURUS

For buyers in Russia who do not pay VAT and have free shipping with Aliexpress, the price is the same $ 60. However, I will not discuss the price set by the company. In the end, they decide how much their labor is worth. If the buyers do not agree, the product will not be sold and sooner or later we will see good discounts.

Has anyone been asking for the state to step in to control the prices?  I'm not sure anyone has made any such claims, that sentence you wrote "if buyers do not agree, the product will not be sold..."  I think this is what's being discussed here, people are almost unanimously agreeing that the prices are inflated and folks are voicing their thinking on whether or not the product is worth purchasing at these new prices.  It's what people do in countries where they are encouraged to use critical thinking as opposed to simply falling in line.  These folks are just talking freely without worrying that someone will come knocking on the door.  Are you happy paying these prices? Or do you feel the prices should be lower?  It's really not that complicated of a discussion :)

Carnoking

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 22, 2021, 04:27:17 PM

Has anyone been asking for the state to step in to control the prices?  I'm not sure anyone has made any such claims, that sentence you wrote "if buyers do not agree, the product will not be sold..."  I think this is what's being discussed here, people are almost unanimously agreeing that the prices are inflated and folks are voicing their thinking on whether or not the product is worth purchasing at these new prices.  It's what people do in countries where they are encouraged to use critical thinking as opposed to simply falling in line.  These folks are just talking freely without worrying that someone will come knocking on the door.  Are you happy paying these prices? Or do you feel the prices should be lower?  It's really not that complicated of a discussion :)

To add, the intent behind my initial question was not to say the prices should be regulated but to confirm whether or not import fees or other such considerations outside of PNSO's specific control could be driving up the cost depending on your location, something avatar_Faras @Faras has seemingly confirmed.

Ikessauro

I myself consider that prices are inflated for the museum line specially.

If PNSO can make a model like Olorotitan, Parasaurolophus, Spinosaurus in the standard line with simpler boxes, why waste lots of paper and plastic foam in a larger stronger box? Who even has the space to save all these huge boxes? Most people will discard them eventually. I don't like the idea of paying twice the price of a model just for a cardboard box that is not even that pretty. White background and a picture of the model. Common! They are releasing so many models with posters that I couldn't possibly use all those posters even if I wanted. There is simply no enough wall space for them.

When they made the museum line a deluxe model, with a large base, better paint then the old vinyl ones, not hollow, I could see why they chose to charge more. But slowly they removed the bases, but didn't lower prices. Their paint job was simplified, but the price increased. Now we are at a point where the single difference between museum and standard line are the boxes. Why would anyone pay 20 + dollars more for a box?

And as someone who has dealt a lot with import taxes, I can say, the prices are way too much BEFORE the taxes. New Triceratops is 60 bucks. If I ordered that (assuming shipping is free) I could be taxed 36 dollars in import duties. In the end one would end up paying 96 dollars for a model that could have been sold for 25 if were not for a box and the word "museum" in it.

Psittacoraptor

I must admit, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this forum. This is a poor paint application?

And yet this thing, that to me looks like it came from Kindergarten painting class, looks better?

I very much agree that Harvey is overpriced, but I disagree that it looks like poor quality. These figures are a noticeable step-up from the likes of Collecta and Eofauna. At least in terms of paint application and overall detail, I'll have to agree with the reviewer in the video posted above on this one.

In the end, it's good that tastes are different. That way all these companies can stay in business by catering to different tastes. :) And you can always vote with your wallet. Value is subjective. If you think a product is over-priced, don't buy it. I really like PNSO's Logan but I don't think it's worth the asking price, so I won't buy it. This Iguanodon I'll get once it hits 45 or 50 during a sale. But then I also enjoy all the art that comes with these, I know many only care about the figure itself. If they would put this in a basic box with nothing else like the Parasaurolophus and sell it for the same price, they might please more people.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on December 22, 2021, 04:54:48 PM
I must admit, sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this forum. This is a poor paint application?

If they would put this in a basic box with nothing else like the Parasaurolophus and sell it for the same price, they might please more people.

I agree, the paint jobs are not bad necessarily, they are way better than most "toys" on the market. But the last sentence of your post pretty much sums it up for me.

If the models within PNSO lines are the same quality overall and the only difference is a box with "museum" written in it, we are paying double for the box, not better models. Most people who complaining I think are not comparing PNSO with other brands, but with itself.

Duna

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 22, 2021, 03:06:32 PM
Their prices realistically should have settled out to around $30 each for figures around the size of this Iguanodon. The Eofauna Triceratops in that video comparison stands out as every bit as accurate as the PNSO, but also with the right price.
Agree.

Quote from: SRF on December 22, 2021, 10:48:42 AM
I don't think the Iguanodon is that bad actually, but seeing it next to the Parasaurolophus (and on another picture, next to the Tarbosaurus) it really doesn't make sense that this figure costs 1.5 times as much.
+1000
The Parasaurolophus is an explendid figure worth its money. But I don't dislike the Iguanodon (as much as I dislike both Tyrannosauruses and giganotosaurus) and I'll would like to buy it, but never above 40€. That figure has nothing more special than the Parasaurolophus to cost 20€ more. And no, 2 posters and a black box doesn't justify that.
I've just purchased the dunkleosteus at 34€, so the wait was worth.

Faras

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Aye ColletA, BotM, Papo, Safari stuffs do cost more here:

CollectA feathered T. rex - $32
CollectA Iguanodon - $26
BotM  sub-adult Triceratops - $75
BoTM Triceratops - $147
Papo walking T. rex (brown) - $47
Safari Yutyrannus - $13.5
Safari Stegosaurus - $32

AFAIK all these brands have factories in China (makes me wonder why prices are higher...) so not much extra costs when international transportation fees went skyrocket, while PNSO has to pay import and transportation for every figure.

Faelrin

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor There is a clear visual distinction between this and the prototype. The blending on the head is much better on the prototype pics, and stripes are much sharper and cleanly applied on the prototype as well. It reminds me of what happened with the Allosaurus (the head specifically) as well, and well many others. I don't think anyone is taking the much cheaper CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon and holding them to the same standards. There is a steep cost difference. However I can also easily see why one would prefer it though, because it is vastly cheaper (in my situation), also has cheeks, and a correct skull for the genus it represents anatomically.

However going off the discussion between avatar_Faras @Faras and avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, there does seem to be a pretty jarring difference between the domestic market prices and those international (approx $36, and $59.99 is a pretty big jump). At the base price I would consider the quality more in line with what it costs, and it is only slightly more then the CollectA Iguanodon (both Happy Hen Toys and Dejankins sell it for around $20, which are my go-to retailers in the US, not sure if Dan's Dinosaurs has it, but I doubt it would be much different), plus the addition of the box, and paper materials. It could be because of seller fee's (as far as Amazon goes, don't know about Aliexpress) and other import costs, etc, tacked onto it, but without knowing exactly why myself and others are paying for nearly double the price, I just can't accept this kind of quality, while at this kind of price point. My standards are going to be higher, and I want something that is more reflective of the prototype. Again I don't see why that is far fetched either, as both the Lambeosaurus and Parasaurolophus cost much less then this does, but also had far better applied and faithful paint apps, when compared to this Iguanodon. And from what avatar_Faras @Faras said the Parasaurolophus was slightly cheaper, likely because it didn't carry the printed materials and box with it.

In fact come to think of it, both Happy Hen Toys and Dan's Dinosaurs carry PNSO products that also share similar pricing to Amazon's models. avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen and avatar_Dan @Dan could either you perhaps please help to clarify what's going with the increase in price for those outside the domestic market? I think I asked avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen before but I think it was just in regards to the pricing of the minis. I'll have to do some digging, because I can't recall all what I asked and they responded with. I'll have to do some digging for that.
Edit: Alright found my earlier question to avatar_HappyHen @HappyHen. It was in regards to the minis. And this was their response as well. They did mention something about international shipping costs going up and affecting the pricing, but to what degree I wonder?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor its really not a bad paint job or application, more of an overall product being priced too high. I'd buy this piece for sure because I like it a lot, but the price is just really not worth it to me at the moment.

Honestly to anyone wanting this like myself but won't pay for its high price, just wait for another sale on Aliexpress.

Bokisaurus

Beautiful model and surely going on my "birthday gift" or 1 hour of overtime should cover the price. Love the simple yet complex colors on this one. :D

Sim

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on December 22, 2021, 04:54:48 PM

And yet this thing, that to me looks like it came from Kindergarten painting class, looks better?

I very much agree that Harvey is overpriced, but I disagree that it looks like poor quality. These figures are a noticeable step-up from the likes of Collecta and Eofauna. [...]

I agree with you that PNSO Iguanodon's painting is not bad, I think it looks great.  However I disagree with you about the CollectA Iguanodon, it's one of CollectA's best figures and I think it looks better than PNSO's Iguanodon in having cheeks, a better position of the hands and a more appealing colouration.  Similar to what you said, it's good tastes are different, a more diverse range of figures can be appealing to differing tastes.

JohannesB

Indeed, comparing Collecta Iguanodon and PNSO Iguanodon is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. But if we were to ignore price difference (sorry, I am going to compare the orange to the apple - can't help myself: I am not very rigorous where logic or consistency is concerned), the PNSO model has many advantages over the much more crude Collecta model, in my view, which I will not elaborate on here, because it has been done by many already. (But one point people make about the Collecta model being the better model because of its cheeks seems incorrect, if I look at the hypotheses floating around.) Anyhow, questioning wether the PNSO Iguanodon is worth the price is not relevant anymore in my case, because I just bought it. If they would only cut the crap (posters, booklets full of kiddie stuff, 'luxury' boxes, etc) and lower the price at least $10 or $15, we would almost all be happy. And although I know that the paint application amounts to a relatively big portion of the total cost, the simple paint app on this figure surely is not more expensive than on the models which are not in the 'Museum Line'.

Sim

Quote from: JohannesB on December 22, 2021, 08:07:48 PM
(But one point people make about the Collecta model being the better model because of its cheeks seems incorrect, if I look at the hypotheses floating around.)

I said I think it looks better because it has cheeks.  It's my subjective opinion about why I prefer the CollectA figure, so it can't be incorrect.  Anyway the possibility of Iguanodon having cheeks is plausible.

Antey

у

Antey

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 22, 2021, 04:27:17 PM

You don't understand what I mean. This greatly complicates the communication between Russians and Europeans. You have no experience of living in a totalitarian state. Your statements about the price are fair. In my world, the price of a cheap car of the level of a Volkswagen Beetle was equal to a Rolls Royce. And the price of a loaf of bread was worth nothing. Because all prices were determined by the central committee of the Communist Party. Do you want to be members of this committee?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: