News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

The OP needs to be updated (the Carcharodontosaurus isn't there either).

suspsy

The Yutyrannus needs to be added as well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

As I already expressed, I'm very happy to see PNSO releasing a Yutyrannus. One of the main reasons I kept looking forward to see what PNSO is releasing every week (BTW it's incredible to say this, as most companies only release a few models every year) was to see if they finally came to do this species, and now here we are. In fact, I'm gonna quote this post of mine from March 20th of this year: 
QuotePNSO have to do a Yutyrannus... :P Come on, the main reason why I have been checking their new releases since last year's October is to see if the time for the Yutyrannus comes. Of course, there have been some nice surprises along the way, like the new Spinosaurus, the Borealopelta and the Qianzhousaurus. But Yutyrannus is a must and I don't think I even need to explain why. And hopefully it will become a reality. The Carcharodontosaurus which appeared only in art before has finally been turned into a figure. That better happen to Yutyrannus as well.  ;)

I don't think this dinosaur was a must just because it's local fauna for them (I personally don't care for that argument, for instance, none of the species that Eofauna have done are from Spain, and they're no less exciting for that), but since they have interest in that (they've already given us Microraptor, Tuojiangosaurus, Atopodentatus, Qianzhousaurus...) and having in mind that this is quite an important discovery and also because it's known from pretty good remains, I felt like it was a must indeed. I suspected they would come around to do it based on all the teasers so far and I'm glad it will be a reality.

Despite being one of my favorite dinosaurs of all time (I remember being very excited when I first learned about it back in 2012), I don't have a single figure of it. Rebor's version is basically naked, and regarding the Safari one, I actually like it, but in my case it's one of those figures that you're looking for a long time but never end up getting it because new and more interesting figures appear. In my eyes, this one is a solid improvement over previous versions of the species (with possibly the exception of the upcoming BOTM one, but that's too big and out of my price range for me, and I still prefer this one over how the BOTM one is looking so far). Hats off to PNSO for this one, that's all I have to say!  :D

Mattyonyx

About the lips or the lack of them, Italian paleontologist Andrea Cau is developing a mathematical model which is providing very interesting results: it's a work in progress, so nothing official yet, although it gives an idea of how open the debate is. Keep in mind that Cau was more oriented towards the lips.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=https%3A//theropoda.blogspot.com/2021/04/possiamo-predire-matematicamente-la.html%3FshowComment%3D1618286810720%23c1124261213608192221&hl=en&langpair=it|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

Bread

Quote from: Mattyonyx on April 24, 2021, 12:48:33 PM
About the lips or the lack of them, Italian paleontologist Andrea Cau is developing a mathematical model which is providing very interesting results: it's a work in progress, so nothing official yet, although it gives an idea of how open the debate is. Keep in mind that Cau was more oriented towards the lips.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=https%3A//theropoda.blogspot.com/2021/04/possiamo-predire-matematicamente-la.html%3FshowComment%3D1618286810720%23c1124261213608192221&hl=en&langpair=it|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8
Interesting read, thank you for this. Definitely is a debate or controversial topic. I do not favor one or the other, but I do however respect the decision a company makes to include or show lack of lips on their models. To me at least, companies, like PNSO, can continue to produce figures with no lips until proved otherwise. Again, I do not favor one or the other until a specimen of a therapod is to show an enormous amount of lips or lack of lips.

I will say lips or no lips need to be done correctly on a figure. I do love the new Wilson figure, but there is an issue with its upper jaw having "loose" teeth.

GojiraGuy1954

Lips on dinosaurs only make sense. The vast majority of animals have lips. Crocodiles are the exception, not the rule.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SRF

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 24, 2021, 04:27:27 PM
Lips on dinosaurs only make sense. The vast majority of animals have lips. Crocodiles are the exception, not the rule.

They make sense when we look at extant animals. Since crocodiles evolved millions of years ago, it's not unthinkable that other animals from that time period didn't had lips as well.

I agree with avatar_Bread @Bread that companies have the artistic freedom to add them on a model or leave them out.
But today, I'm just being father

stoneage

:)  Birds don't have lips!

Takama

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2021, 09:45:41 AM

I mainly Add ones that have been confirmed to be releasesd, and the Yutyrannus and Carchrodontosaurus is not released yet.

I do this, just in case PNSO ever goes on Haiatus again for all of a sudden.

SidB

Quote from: Bread on April 24, 2021, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on April 24, 2021, 12:48:33 PM

Interesting read, thank you for this. Definitely is a debate or controversial topic. I do not favor one or the other, but I do however respect the decision a company makes to include or show lack of lips on their models. To me at least, companies, like PNSO, can continue to produce figures with no lips until proved otherwise. Again, I do not favor one or the other until a specimen of a therapod is to show an enormous amount of lips or lack of lips.

I will say lips or no lips need to be done correctly on a figure. I do love the new Wilson figure, but there is an issue with its upper jaw having "loose" teeth.
I may well have missed any discussions on the DTF regarding the question that I'm going to raise, so I'm extremely curious as to the answer to it, namely:

since we know that theropods routinely lost teeth during the killing, rending and consuming process of processing their prey, as large numbers of teeth are continuously found, especially near remnants of dead prey victims, why then is it an absolute necessity to have lips present to hydrate the teeth? Since the individual  teeth don't have the duration of use in a theropod's mouth , compared to mammalian teeth, why the need for preservation of the integrity of individual teeth by lips? I've never seen this question addressed, let alone answered.

Comments, Please!

Patrx

Re: lips on theropods, let's do try to keep this particular thread on the rails – PNSO 2021. I primarily wanted to express that I think their Yutyrannus would look better with those nasty teeth shielded! We do have another thread for this though. Keep it civil, everybody!

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on April 24, 2021, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2021, 09:45:41 AM

I mainly Add ones that have been confirmed to be releasesd, and the Yutyrannus and Carchrodontosaurus is not released yet.

I do this, just in case PNSO ever goes on Haiatus again for all of a sudden.

That's honestly not a very firm argument, avatar_Takama @Takama. All toy companies are at risk of going on hiatus in this day and age. We always put up reveals for CollectA and Safari and Schleich months ahead of their release dates; we should do the same for PNSO.

Concavenator

Yes, I personally agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy. It's been stated (Everything Dinosaur also confirmed it) that it's going to be released in the summer, just like the Carcharodontosaurus.

Bread

Quote from: Patrx on April 24, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
Re: lips on theropods, let's do try to keep this particular thread on the rails – PNSO 2021. I primarily wanted to express that I think their Yutyrannus would look better with those nasty teeth shielded! We do have another thread for this though. Keep it civil, everybody!
My bad! Did not mean to continue a conversation about lips or no lips. Just wanted to point out the company's decisions on the whole lips debate. Won't happen again.

Anyways....

This happens a lot when it comes to PNSO product's release dates, but hopefully PNSO will not meet any delays when releasing some of these June models. I know we have not received any specific date on the the releases and only the month of June. Fingers crossed that everything is on track.

SidB

Quote from: Patrx on April 24, 2021, 06:37:44 PM
Thanks for the thread connection, avatar_Patrx @Patrx .

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Patrx on April 23, 2021, 07:31:05 PM
This thing does look really nice in most respects, so even with my hangup about the lips, I might pick this up anyway and try and customize it  like I did with the Safari version:

Nice Work! I never got the Safari Yutyrannus, but i don't need to say how good Dougs Work is. But often hidden under pricerelated Paint. Repaints of Dougs Sculpts are always showing the real goodness. Back to topic, but i wanted to answer. I sometimes forget that and thats not polite of me.

SRF

Quote from: Concavenator on April 24, 2021, 07:47:57 PM
Yes, I personally agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy. It's been stated (Everything Dinosaur also confirmed it) that it's going to be released in the summer, just like the Carcharodontosaurus.

PNSO stated on their Social Media that the pre-sale for the Yutyrannus in China has already started and that it will be available for the rest of the world by the end of June.

More info: https://www.instagram.com/p/COFpPyElu5l/?igshid=r5fnx5lhvf8c
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

suspsy

Very nice, very nice indeed!

Flaffy

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: