News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Started by Sim, December 11, 2020, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Albertosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Appalachiosaurus
8 (10.4%)
Buitreraptor
6 (7.8%)
Ceratosaurus new version
9 (11.7%)
Cryolophosaurus
13 (16.9%)
Dakotaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Deltadromeus
5 (6.5%)
Dilophosaurus new version
3 (3.9%)
Dinornis
6 (7.8%)
Dryptosaurus
4 (5.2%)
Eustreptospondylus
12 (15.6%)
Falcarius
13 (16.9%)
Gallimimus
21 (27.3%)
Gigantoraptor
16 (20.8%)
Gorgosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Guanlong new version
4 (5.2%)
Halszkaraptor
13 (16.9%)
Herrerasaurus
19 (24.7%)
Liliensternus
9 (11.7%)
Majungasaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megalosaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Ornithomimus
5 (6.5%)
Oviraptor
3 (3.9%)
Pelagornis
8 (10.4%)
Rugops
10 (13%)
Saurornithoides
6 (7.8%)
Sinraptor
4 (5.2%)
Struthiomimus
7 (9.1%)
Therizinosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Titanis
10 (13%)
Torvosaurus
11 (14.3%)
Tyrannosaurus new version
23 (29.9%)
Utahraptor new version
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Sim

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 10, 2021, 01:16:11 AM
Not to be that person but I'm sure Herrerasaurus isn't a theropod...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's not known whether Herrerasaurus is a theropod, a sauropodomorph or a more basal saurischian, so I put it in the group I thought it was most likely to be.  The important thing here though is that Safari makes a Herrerasaurus!

Daspletodave

How about none! At this point, I'd like to see ANYTHING other than a theropod.

Bread

Quote from: Daspletodave on January 10, 2021, 05:16:31 PM
I prefer seeing a larger variety of herbivores compared to therapods, but I wouldn't want Safari to not make a therapod. I would like to see Safari make more herbivores than therapods next year, since we did get three this year.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Bread on January 10, 2021, 05:46:35 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on January 10, 2021, 05:16:31 PM
I prefer seeing a larger variety of herbivores compared to therapods, but I wouldn't want Safari to not make a therapod. I would like to see Safari make more herbivores than therapods next year, since we did get three this year.
what about herbivorous theropods?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SenSx

I did not vote Cryolophosaurus...I think I should have.
Emblematic Jurassic dino.

The Papo one is cool, but...the pose...

Wallnut

I want to see a theropod other than T rex,spinosaurus and velociraptor.

austrosaurus

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 10, 2021, 03:23:21 AM
Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 10, 2021, 01:16:11 AM
Not to be that person but I'm sure Herrerasaurus isn't a theropod...
its like this huge wierd debate going on, same with eoraptor

Pretty sure that at least some phylogenies have Eoraptor as (the most?) basal sauropodomorph and herrerasaurians as either non-theropod saurischians (in traditional Saurischia-Ornithischia phylogenies) or as sister to Sauropodomorpha within Saurischia (in Saurischia-Ornithoscelida phylogenies).

Dinoguy2

1. Halzkaraptor: WE need one, and Safari would do a good job.
2. Rugops: Safari hasn't done many traditional abelisaurids and they would fit very well /look cool with the current style.
3. Struthiomimus: Classic species that's very under-represented, also a Hell Creek species.
4. Saurornithoides: How are there no good troodontid figures? Safari would make an outstanding troodontid if given the chance.
5. New Tyrannosaurus: I'm at least partly dissatisfied with every T. rex in existence. Keep throwing this species at the wall until they get one perfect :D
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

We need a gigantoraptor and therizinosaurus from Safari to keep their deinocheirus counterpart company. Honestly, yes, I would like them to be of a considerable size, even if they were not made to scale, as the amargasaurus and malawisaurus did in their day. Big is very beautiful by far! I would like large theropods from Safari and not made to scale or a normal, reasonable but small size like daspletosaurus, spinosaurus and baryonxy have done this year. Honestly, I would like theropods the same size as their cool feathered tyrannosaurus rex counterpart that once made Safari brilliantly.

Loon

I voted for Cryolophosaurus, Gigantoraptor, Therizionsaurus, Tyrannosaurus, and Utahraptor. Though, I'd also be down for a new Ceratosaurus, as I'm not crazy about the current safari one.

Really, the only two I'm super looking forward to seeing are Cryolophosaurus and a new Tyrannosaurus. "Super looking forward to seeing" meaning these are the only two I have highly specific demands of.

Firstly, I hope they're sculpted by Doug Watson.  I hope the Cryolophosaurus is feathered, similar to the Coelophysis. Also, I would be perfectly fine if the 2017 Tyrannosaurus was basically rereleased sans most of the feathering. That sculpt is so good I still have it as my Tyrannosaurus. Literally the only thing is change is the feathering. Even PNSO's new overpriced Tyrannosaurus doesn't beat it for me.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on January 15, 2021, 12:54:32 AM
I voted for Cryolophosaurus, Gigantoraptor, Therizionsaurus, Tyrannosaurus, and Utahraptor. Though, I'd also be down for a new Ceratosaurus, as I'm not crazy about the current safari one.

Really, the only two I'm super looking forward to seeing are Cryolophosaurus and a new Tyrannosaurus. "Super looking forward to seeing" meaning these are the only two I have highly specific demands of.

Firstly, I hope they're sculpted by Doug Watson.  I hope the Cryolophosaurus is feathered, similar to the Coelophysis. Also, I would be perfectly fine if the 2017 Tyrannosaurus was basically rereleased sans most of the feathering. That sculpt is so good I still have it as my Tyrannosaurus. Literally the only thing is change is the feathering. Even PNSO's new overpriced Tyrannosaurus doesn't beat it for me.
Ditto. Only difference is that I hope the Cryolophosaurus is NOT feathered. I'm not sure about the evidence and science, but if there is, I want to check it. I also hope they don't make the Cryolophosaurus super skinny. The Papo and Carnegie ones are the most beefy and both are still skinny.

Sim

Cryolophosaurus lived in a cool temperate environment, of which the temperature appears to have dropped below freezing (although not by much) in the coastal areas while more exteme conditions existed inland.  I doubt Cryolophosaurus had fat like a walrus to keep it warm (it would slow it down), so I favour the idea it was kept warm by feathers.  Besides, there are featherless models of Cryolophosaurus available, it's time for a fully-feathered figure of Cryolophosaurus.  I'd love to see Safari make one!  Like avatar_Loon @Loon, I hope the Cryolophosaurus is feathered similar to the Safari Coelophysis.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Add me to the must have a feathered version of Cryolophosaurus list.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2021, 05:52:35 PM
Cryolophosaurus lived in a cool temperate environment, of which the temperature appears to have dropped below freezing (although not by much) in the coastal areas while more exteme conditions existed inland.  I doubt Cryolophosaurus had fat like a walrus to keep it warm (it would slow it down), so I favour the idea it was kept warm by feathers.  Besides, there are featherless models of Cryolophosaurus available, it's time for a fully-feathered figure of Cryolophosaurus.  I'd love to see Safari make one!  Like avatar_Loon @Loon, I hope the Cryolophosaurus is feathered similar to the Safari Coelophysis.
While i have several counter arguements, im just gonna agree with ya, because its always cool to speculate and try out new things  :)

Loon

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2021, 05:52:35 PM

Aside from the lack of feathering, one I reason I don't like any of the models that currently exist is how they all fail to capture how sleek an animal this really seems to have been. I feel the Coelophysis comparison works here too, as based in the updated skeleton, Cryolophosaurus does have a very similar lankiness, for lack of a better word. The only model that comes close to nailing this is the Carnegie one, which, aside from the horrid pose, is also pretty expensive these days.

Really, based on all these things, the only person I'd want to sculpt it would be Doug Watson. While, I wasn't impressed much by last year's Theropods, this year's Baryonyx thoroughly convinced me that he makes the best on the market. I'd settle if CollectA made, but I've yet to be really convinced by the look of their Theropods.

Faelrin

I would also love to see Doug do a feathered Cryolophosaurus much like the Ceolophysis (which I think is still one of their best figures yet).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

Speaking of Cryolophosaurus, I'm trying to get the Carnegie one.
How rare and hard is it to find in your opinion ?

This is the only proper Cryolophosaurus I can see.
The Papo and its stupid pose is meh, the Collecta one is ok but a bit small for my medium sized theropods collection, and the battat is good but same size issue.

Thanks

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SenSx on January 16, 2021, 04:39:13 PM

The Papo and its stupid pose is meh, the Collecta one is ok but a bit small for my medium sized theropods collection, and the battat is good but same size issue.

Thanks

It's not the easiest Carnegie to find, precisely because it is still one of the best versions available so nobody is really looking to get rid of it. It occasionally pops up on eBay for (IMO) inflated prices, but you can find a good deal if you set a saved search and are patient.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SenSx

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 19, 2021, 02:59:40 PM
Quote from: SenSx on January 16, 2021, 04:39:13 PM

Thanks

It's not the easiest Carnegie to find, precisely because it is still one of the best versions available so nobody is really looking to get rid of it. It occasionally pops up on eBay for (IMO) inflated prices, but you can find a good deal if you set a saved search and are patient.

Ok thanks.
Hopefully we will finally get a new good Cryolophosaurus from another brand.

Sim

I've noticed a number of Safari's recent theropods were ones we voted for in this poll.  I don't know if this poll helped Safari choose what to make, but it seems possible. :)  To be specific, Albertosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Majungasaurus and Utahraptor all got quite a good number of votes.  Maybe we'll see Safari release a Gallimimus and Herrerasaurus, two others with a lot of votes, next year?  There's Gorgosaurus too but maybe it would be too similar to Albertosaurus, Therizinosaurus which I doubt Safari would make due to its incompleteness and Tyrannosaurus which got the highest number of votes but I wonder if Safari would release a new one while their feathered version still sells well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: