News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Started by Sim, December 11, 2020, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Albertosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Appalachiosaurus
8 (10.4%)
Buitreraptor
6 (7.8%)
Ceratosaurus new version
9 (11.7%)
Cryolophosaurus
13 (16.9%)
Dakotaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Deltadromeus
5 (6.5%)
Dilophosaurus new version
3 (3.9%)
Dinornis
6 (7.8%)
Dryptosaurus
4 (5.2%)
Eustreptospondylus
12 (15.6%)
Falcarius
13 (16.9%)
Gallimimus
21 (27.3%)
Gigantoraptor
16 (20.8%)
Gorgosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Guanlong new version
4 (5.2%)
Halszkaraptor
13 (16.9%)
Herrerasaurus
19 (24.7%)
Liliensternus
9 (11.7%)
Majungasaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megalosaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Ornithomimus
5 (6.5%)
Oviraptor
3 (3.9%)
Pelagornis
8 (10.4%)
Rugops
10 (13%)
Saurornithoides
6 (7.8%)
Sinraptor
4 (5.2%)
Struthiomimus
7 (9.1%)
Therizinosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Titanis
10 (13%)
Torvosaurus
11 (14.3%)
Tyrannosaurus new version
23 (29.9%)
Utahraptor new version
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Gwangi

I think a Therizinosaurus from Safari is definitely possible. It's had a popularity boost thanks to Dominion, and perhaps Prehistoric Planet too.

Sim

If Safari did consider suggestions from this poll, it's very cool of them! :)

Fembrogon

It's certainly encouraging to see how recent releases line up with some of the votes, even if it's actually coincidence. Given a few of these have been scratched off now, allow me to throw in some belated votes of my own, based on the remaining nominees:

• Buitreraptor - a quirky little dromaeosaur relative that deserves some toys already. Safari is killing it with their "raptors" so far, so this seems like a solid choice for a great toy.
  • Falcarius - more therizinosaurs would be welcome, especially for more complete genera like this one.
  • Eustreptospondylus - it's been 20+ years since Walking With Dinosaurs, yet this fairly well-preserved genus hardly has any toys to its name.
  • Gallimimus - ornithomimosaurs are another underrepresented group, and like others have said, it's almost baffling that this genus hasn't recieved more toys since Jurassic Park.
  • Herrerasaurus - more Triassic representation, please! Safari's Coelophysis is easily the best toy of that genus on the market.

GojiraGuy1954

Voted Deltadromeus, Gigantoraptor, Herrerasaurus, Megaraptor & Pelagornis

Found it odd how Austroraptor was absent
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

Looks like 2 of the 5 I voted for a while back got figures now (Cryolophosaurus and Utahraptor). That just leaves Herrerasaurus, Halszkaraptor, and a new Guanlong version which I also voted for back then. As of now I think perhaps Herrerasaurus might have the better chances of the three others I voted for to be made. It desperately needs a proper figure too (excluding the somewhat recent Mattel one). Hmm, come to think of it, I do wonder why I didn't vote for Albertosaurus or Gorgosaurus back then? Oh well, at least Albertosaurus did in fact get a figure after all.

Here's the current standing from most to least votes:

Spoiler
-Tyrannosaurus new version 22
-Gallimimus 19
-Herrerasaurus 18
-Utahraptor new version 17
-Albertosaurus 15
-Majungasaurus 15
-Therizinosaurus 14
-Gigantoraptor 13
-Gorgosaurus 13
-Cryolophosaurus 12
-Falcarius 12
-Megalosaurus 12
-Halszkaraptor 11
-Eustreptospondylus 10
-Torvosaurus 10
-Rugops 9
-Appalachiosaurus 8
-Ceratosaurus new version 8
-Liliensternus 8
-Dakotaraptor 7
-Titanis 7
-Megaraptor 6
-Pelagornis 6
-Saurornithoides 6
-Struthiomimus 6
-Buitreraptor 5
-Deltadromeus 5
-Dinornis 5
-Ornithomimus 5
-Guanlong new version 4
-Sinraptor 4
-Dilophosaurus new version 3
-Dryptosaurus 3
-Oviraptor 3
[close]
Of these, Albertosaurus (15), Cryolophosaurus (12), Majungasaurus (15), and Utahraptor (17) have since gotten figures. Three of which were remakes of previously retired figures (2 were Carnegie Collection). It seems like a Tyrannosaurus remake (22), Gallimimus (19), Herrerasaurus (18), and Therizinosaurus (14) would be good for Safari Ltd to take into consideration, as those are among the most popular picks here that have yet to get figures (or if they have been made, yet to be revealed/finished production).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

CARN0TAURUS

I kind of wish I could've voted all five times for megalosaurus ;)

suspsy

At this point, the only theropods I'd like to see from Safari are ornithomimosaurs or therizinosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

Megalosaurus and Herrerasaurus need good, up to date figures.
I'd personally like a Gorgosaurus, a Rajasaurus, and a Gigantoraptor.
Although many of the other species that are in need of figures I'd be happy to see.

TheCambrianCrusader

I'm kinda surprised there's still a lot of demand for an updated Megalosaurus. Not that I wouldn't want to see Safari's take on it, but what's wrong with the Collecta model? The only thing I can really think of are its size and its calves being a bit too gaunt. Other than that I think its a perfectly good representation of the species.

Fembrogon

I'm guessing size is the key dispute (maybe also the quills...?); but then again, who says we can't want more than one good figure of a genus in general?  ^-^  I dare say Megalosaurus deserves to have at least a couple of good, up-to-date toys to its name.

Gwangi

From my original vote I still want a Herrerasaurus, Liliensternus, Pelagornis, and Titanis. The last two are birds so I'm not holding my breath. But that new Utahraptor has me thinking that Safari (and Doug) could produce some awesome terror birds. The retired Gastornis was great too.

I would also like to see a Megalosaurus, Gigantoraptor, any ornithomimid, and any theropod we don't typically see. A alvarezsaurid, scansoriopterygid, etc.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I'd like them to make something that isn't a theropod for a change.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gwangi

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 09, 2023, 12:46:48 AMI'd like them to make something that isn't a theropod for a change.

That is also true.

Fembrogon

For sure, more non-theropod dinosaurs - or more non-dinos altogether - would also be most welcome from Safari Ltd. Theropods sell best, though, so it's a safe bet that we will continue to see new theropod figures on a yearly basis.

Having acknowledged that, it would be neat if Safari tried releasing "accompanying" genera to the theropods. Every T. rex needs a Triceratops, and every Allosaurus needs a Stegosaurus; how about a Rapetosaurus (or Beelzebufo?) to accompany Majungasaurus, or a Gastonia* (or Hippodraco or, hey, Falcarius!**) to accompany Utahraptor? This approach would also favor the educational aspect by helping teach kids about which creatures coexisted and possibly interacted with each other.

*Yeah, I know Schleich just released one; but I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing Safari's take.

**and yeah, that's technically another theropod; but it's a far cry from the "typical" theropod types, so it makes a good contrast.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 09, 2023, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on March 08, 2023, 11:21:00 PMWhat's wrong with the Collecta model?
That one is ugly
Idunno I think the little guy is pretty neat. Wouldn't mind seeing a safari figure tho

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.