News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Started by Sim, December 11, 2020, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 5 theropods would you like Safari to make?

Albertosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Appalachiosaurus
8 (10.4%)
Buitreraptor
6 (7.8%)
Ceratosaurus new version
9 (11.7%)
Cryolophosaurus
13 (16.9%)
Dakotaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Deltadromeus
5 (6.5%)
Dilophosaurus new version
3 (3.9%)
Dinornis
6 (7.8%)
Dryptosaurus
4 (5.2%)
Eustreptospondylus
12 (15.6%)
Falcarius
13 (16.9%)
Gallimimus
21 (27.3%)
Gigantoraptor
16 (20.8%)
Gorgosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Guanlong new version
4 (5.2%)
Halszkaraptor
13 (16.9%)
Herrerasaurus
19 (24.7%)
Liliensternus
9 (11.7%)
Majungasaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megalosaurus
14 (18.2%)
Megaraptor
8 (10.4%)
Ornithomimus
5 (6.5%)
Oviraptor
3 (3.9%)
Pelagornis
8 (10.4%)
Rugops
10 (13%)
Saurornithoides
6 (7.8%)
Sinraptor
4 (5.2%)
Struthiomimus
7 (9.1%)
Therizinosaurus
15 (19.5%)
Titanis
10 (13%)
Torvosaurus
11 (14.3%)
Tyrannosaurus new version
23 (29.9%)
Utahraptor new version
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Sim

Okay!  We chose the species and now it's time to vote for which theropods we'd most like Safari to make! :)

Dinoxels

Fingers crossed for the Appalachiosaurus to get some votes!
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shonisaurus

You need to Safari a majungasaurus or any abelisaurid other than the well-known carnotaurus sastrei.

Bernie Brontosaurus

I went with Tyrannosaurus, Majungasaurus, Utahraptor, Gallimimus and Falcarius because I really like the name!

Dusty Wren

Voted for Therizinosaurus (among others) because therizinosaurs in general are criminally underrepresented in the toy market.
Check out my customs thread!

RaptorRex

The way I see it, ones that were previously Carnegie Collection figures are most likely already in the works already. So, that leaves out Albertosaurus, Cryolophosaurus (really hoping for this one to be revealed soon!), and Deltadromeus out. My Top 5 votes:

1.) Appalachiosaurus - Underrepresented in dinosaur toys despite belonging to the tyrannosaur family. Absent from BOTM tyrannosaur line so this is the tyrannosauroid I would like to see the most.

2.) Liliensternus - I am generally for more Triassic figures in general, as it is the most underrpresented of the three Mesozoic eras. The 2017 Coelophysis was one of Safari's best, so I have no doubts that a Liliensternus, if sculpted by Doug Watson, would be absolutely great. Would also mix with an updated Plateosaurus, which is likely on Safari's radar as it is in need of a 'Carnegie update'.

3.) Rugops - Carnotaurus has very good toy representation but other abelisaur family members are severely underrepresented. Honestly, both Manjungasaurus and Rugops were interchangeable for me here, I would just like another non-Carnotaurus abelisaur.

4.) Therizinosaurus - Pretty much what avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren said, therizinosaurs are in need of new toys. The Carnegie Beipiaosaurus still remains the best aesthetically pleasing therizinosaur figure on the market, which really says something about the other toy companies who have tried tackling a Therizinosaurus. I would prefer Nothronychus as it was found close to my home turf, but Nothronychus didn't make the cut so Therizinosaurus it is.

5.) Updated Utahraptor - Didn't make the cut in the BOTM Raptors line and thus no adequate Utahraptor figure exists yet. Dakotaraptor would be fine but Utahraptor, once again, was found close to my home turf so I prefer Utahraptor more. : )

Some honorable mentions I considered voting for:
Updated Dilophosaurus - I would actually REALLY like to see this one happen, as Dilophosaurus was found in my home state and I am largely unsatisfied with the CollectA version announced. However, I really don't think it's likely after getting a new sculpt this year.

Gigantoraptor - Likely to be done by PNSO.

Herrerasaurus - Falls under Triassic fauna which I am always game for, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for a basal sauropodomorph in the Theropod poll. 

Megaraptor - Poor Megaraptor getting 0 votes! Almost voted for it, just a matter of being beat by the ones I listed above.

Sim

avatar_RaptorRex @RaptorRex I enjoyed reading your thoughts!  It's not clear whether Herrerasaurus is a sauropodomorph or a theropod or a more basal saurischian so I put it in the category I felt it was most likely to be.  The same is going to happen for Eoraptor which is going in the sauropodomorph poll.

triceratops83

Why Dilophosaurus? Wasn't it just redone last year? And there's nothing wrong with the current Ceratosaurus either.

Otherwise I voted for the ones that need to be remade from previous Safari or Carnegie releases.

EDIT - Some food for thought... I just remembered two others that Safari had done before (on that list) that could do with a remake - that Luis V Rey looking Oviraptor (sitting on its eggs) and the Galaxy? Therizinosaurus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gwangi

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 12, 2020, 10:22:22 PM
Why Dilophosaurus? Wasn't it just redone last year? And there's nothing wrong with the current Ceratosaurus either.

Otherwise I voted for the ones that need to be remade from previous Safari or Carnegie releases.

EDIT - Some food for thought... I just remembered two others that Safari had done before (on that list) that could do with a remake - that Luis V Rey looking Oviraptor (sitting on its eggs) and the Galaxy? Therizinosaurus.

Dilophosaurus got a makeover shortly after that release, I'm guessing that's why.

I voted for the ones I picked in the original thread; Titanis, Herrerasaurus, Liliensternus, Pelagornis, Torvosaurus. I realize the birds are a long shot but what the heck.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

In the end I went for Cryolophosaurus, for a must have feathered version of this animal,
Eustreptospondylus because this poor British theropod is lacking representation, Falcarius because it's an interesting looking Therizinosaur and known from good remains and from a family that doesn't get much representation anyway, Gallimimus because these are even more overlooked and there should be  good Ornithomimid toy, I think the other one I went for is Gigantoraptor, though truth be told I'd rather see that from Eofauna.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Tyrannosaurus rex rightly kicking every other butt as usual. Glad Utahraptor and Gallimimus are going strong as well. It's baffling and annoying how a genus that has shown up throughout the entire JP franchise has never had a toy from Safari, CollectA, Schleich, Papo, or PNSO.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

My picks, once again, were pretty easy.

Tyrannosaurus, updated version, I just want a company to make one already so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Also would help Safari with sales in my opinion, tyrannosaurus being one of the most popular dinosaurs.

Herrerasaurus, I love triassic dinosaurs. I'd love if we get a Plateosaurus, but if not, a Herrerasaurus will be good.

Albertosaurus, Dakotaraptor, and Utahraptor were my last three choices. Each one needs a figure, especially Dakotaraptor to complete the Hell Creek formation.

All in all, I'll be okay with whatever Safari makes! I'll continue to buy their figures.

Sim

For Ceratosaurus I'm guessing it's there because the current version has feet that are much too big (and a tail that's too thin).

Sim

I voted for the following:

Cryolophosaurus - It would be lovely to have a feathered model of this Antarctic animal.

Gallimimus - This would probably sell well due to its appearance in the Jurassic Park franchise films.  It would be good to have an up to date version.

Herrerasaurus - An amazing animal and one of my favourite dinosaurs.  I would love to have a good model of this.

Saurornithoides - Another of my favourite dinosaurs.  Troodontids are fascinating yet there's no good model of one.

Utahraptor - An interesting animal with no good model available.

austrosaurus

In the nicest way possible, what's the point of these polls? Are they just for fun or are they genuine surveys on behalf of Safari?

Sim

They're to show Safari what people would like made.

SenSx

Very happy to see the Herrerasaurus so high.
Among my favorite dinosaur, and one of the biggest from Trias/Jurassic.
Close to JP Velociraptor's look which makes it awesome.
I don't understand why no companies has shown interest in it.

Then, Galliminus of course, JP made it a classic, so that's weird not seing it as a figure.

Gigantoraptor: that beast finally needs a proper representation.

Utahraptor

Albertosaurus: a classic of my childhood

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm surprised gallimimus is so popular. I thought that Struthiomimus would have been the favorite since it's much more of a classic dinosaur (and could make for tyrannosaur prey). Of course ornithomimids are few and far between already.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 10, 2021, 01:16:11 AM
Not to be that person but I'm sure Herrerasaurus isn't a theropod...
its like this huge wierd debate going on, same with eoraptor

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on January 10, 2021, 01:49:48 AM
Gallimimus just deserves some more figures, it is the only dinosaur from the original Jurassic Park film that toy companies barely touched.
There is Battat's, there is AAA's, there is Jasman's and you may count Salvat's as well but outside JP toys it has been largely untouched as most ornithomimids that aren't Deinocheirus.

Very true. Either ornithomimid would be welcome to me. I always saw struthiomimus as the more popular species, having been featured in toys and media before Jurassic Park.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: