News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

"Sue" T rex 3D print in 1/24th scale

Started by modelnut, December 12, 2020, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelnut

I just finished prepping and painting a twenty-something-inch print of "Sue" by Christopher Chavez https://www.deviantart.com/christopher252/art/Tyrannosaurus-rex-780668955. She was printed hollow by Shapeways and had her share of problems. When she arrived she was perfectly balanced on her feet. But she had a hole in her butt big enough to stick a pencil in. It was there to let the unused resin pour out of the hollow interior after her printing. That needed capping or filling. A week after I did that her left thigh and hip collapsed inward --- she "oil-canned"!. So I cut a small hole in her right side to push it out again. Then I sprayed plumber's expanding foam into her butt. Understandably, she "put on weight". The excess foam came out of a vent hole I left open. It left a pile of "poo" half as big as she was before it stopped. But the foam did not burst the model which it could easily have done. And she slimmed down a bit when the foam cured. Bigger than she started. But not excessively so.

Here she is on her base. She is held to that base by six magnets. Three in her foot and three in her base. That's how hollow she was. I was able to slip in three magnets and work them to the flat of her right foot. Some Plaster of Paris on top of the magnets up to her ankle keep them from floating around. The family you might recognize as my 1/24th scale museum visitors.

Here she is in her new home:

- Leelan

Bread

Despite the issues you dealt with this model, I think it turned out great. Really love the pose the most, a sort of calm walking pose. I also really love your display!

Stegotyranno420

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 13, 2020, 12:16:46 AM
I wonder how much a 1:40 one will cost
You can google "Sue the Tyrannosaurus Rex by Christopher Chavez" there will be a shapeways link with this model but at a smaller scale. It is a much smaller model than this one for about $30, and smaller than 1/40.

How much was this model avatar_modelnut @modelnut?

modelnut

The price was in keeping with a resin kit of comparable size --- $365. By the time you add processing and shipping it came to $405.  :o

But there were no calm, walking-pose T rexes available in this scale until I asked Chris to enlarge it for me. It certainly isn't something I can afford very often. I seem to recall hitting the "BUY" button quickly before I could change my mind.  >:D

- Leelan

modelnut

Quote from: Bread on December 12, 2020, 11:00:41 PM
Despite the issues you dealt with this model, I think it turned out great. Really love the pose the most, a sort of calm walking pose. I also really love your display!

That's why I love 1/24th scale. The thing with dinosaurs is that it is hard to get across their real size in a model or figure. Unless you go to a museum and see a display like "Fleshy" (Sue's fleshed out twin), it is hard to visualize how large they were. But there are so many things in 1/24th scale like people or the family car that arranging a museum diorama is almost child's play.

- Leelan

Bread

Quote from: modelnut on December 13, 2020, 12:56:30 PM
The price was in keeping with a resin kit of comparable size --- $365. By the time you add processing and shipping it came to $405.  :o

But there were no calm, walking-pose T rexes available in this scale until I asked Chris to enlarge it for me. It certainly isn't something I can afford very often. I seem to recall hitting the "BUY" button quickly before I could change my mind.  >:D

- Leelan
That is quite a price for that size of the figure. I figured it would be pricey due to it being a 3D printed model. Regardless of the price, it looks great and I congratulate you on your purchase!

Shonisaurus

Magnificent acquisition. Honestly few collectors, even within DTF will have these wonderful sculptures. I congratulate you on your purchase.

modelnut

Halichoeres

Nice build-up. Surprised to hear the leg 'oil-canned.' But you'd never know it from looking at the finished piece!

Do you use an airbrush? How do you like it if so?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Wallnut

Quote from: modelnut on December 13, 2020, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 12, 2020, 11:00:41 PM

That's why I love 1/24th scale. The thing with dinosaurs is that it is hard to get across their real size in a model or figure. Unless you go to a museum and see a display like "Fleshy" (Sue's fleshed out twin), it is hard to visualize how large they were. But there are so many things in 1/24th scale like people or the family car that arranging a museum diorama is almost child's play.

- Leelan

1:50 best scale you have everything in 1:50.

modelnut

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 17, 2020, 03:38:49 AM
Nice build-up. Surprised to hear the leg 'oil-canned.' But you'd never know it from looking at the finished piece!

Do you use an airbrush? How do you like it if so?

I did use an airbrush. And I think it turned our pretty well. Though I probably could have done a bit of stippling to break up the colors a bit. But by that time I was ready to be done. I don't get a lot of modeling time and Sue had taken more than her fair share. I may revisit her later because you know nothing is ever really finished. Just abandoned.

- Leelan

Dinoreplicas

Sometimes I prefer to see colour schemes without too much patterning as it shows of the form of the sculpt.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Just went on the Shapeways Site and there it looked much better, that in the initial Link. Has Lips now? :D Is there a Possebility, to see the Pictures of your Model? Or is it just my local Problem, that some Pictures aren't visible anymore? I have every extra Software deactivated for the Forum and Blog. e.g Adblocker, Antiscript and ghostery. Hm :(

modelnut

I don't know why the pictures disappeared. I will try again.

Hmmm. Now the pictures are smaller. Curiouser and curiouser.  :(

- Leelan

https://www.deviantart.com/modelnut

modelnut

Geez. Shapeways has Sue at 1/66 scale. 18.27 cm or 7.19 inches. I would have thought that would be too small to bother with.  :-\

BTW I like it that her mouth is shut and that she has lips. I have the new PNSO T rex and it looks goofy with its teeth hanging out.

And my Wilson just fell over wiping out a few models down from the shelf. I see I am going to have to make a base for him and nail his feet to the floor.  >:(

- Leelan

ITdactyl

'Love the heft and posture of that 3d printed Sue.  And those wings...errm... arms! ;D

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: modelnut on April 14, 2021, 08:07:51 PM
I don't know why the pictures disappeared. I will try again.

Hmmm. Now the pictures are smaller. Curiouser and curiouser.  :(

- Leelan

https://www.deviantart.com/modelnut

Wonderful, thank you! This is what i was lookig for as my personal, definitive T. rex for the Moment. Great job on the Paint. Looks well done. The creamy Colours were also the ones i picked for my rex Diorama, i am working right now :-D Thanks for showing again :)
I really like this sculpt. A big plus are the Lips and the slightly tucked in arms. I really to not like the small Theropodarms flying around.
My only let down is, that it has to be Shapeways. I would rather buy the Printdata, because shapeways has alot of rules when it comes to the sculpts. I learned that recently and would prefer to have it printed in a private Printer. But of course the Artist can choose. If there is an .stl of this somewhre, i would love to know :)

The small size would be good for me, because Space and Cats. :D

QuoteI see I am going to have to make a base for him and nail his feet to the floor.

Oh no. I had the same now with the Safari feathered rex. The Last time he fell almost 2m. I startet to make Bases for a lot of Figures and will continue to do that. hopefully nothing broke of got damaged.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.