News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Genus Does *NOT* Need A New Toy?

Started by suspsy, December 31, 2020, 02:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Reuben03 on January 02, 2021, 08:38:34 PM
Ask me when the BOTM exclusive WWD style T.rex comes out and i'll tell you T.rex  ;D

I beg your pardon, but I do believe you meant to say the BotM Kickstarter exclusive Dino-Riders style T. rex!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Reuben03

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2021, 08:56:08 PM
Ask me when the BOTM exclusive WWD style T.rex comes out and i'll tell you T.rex  ;D

I beg your pardon, but I do believe you meant to say the BotM Kickstarter exclusive Dino-Riders style T. rex!
WAIT i thought the WWD colors got the most votes!?!?

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Dusty Wren

He's still doing the WWD color variation. The 1/35 scale rex gets the WWD colors, the 1/18 scale rex gets the Dino-Riders colors.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on January 02, 2021, 08:56:08 PM
I still think Tyrannosaurus will need a more definitive model/figure. I find that a lot of people do not collect BOTM figures due to them having articulation.

Libraraptor

Quote from: suspsy on December 31, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
Yes, the Eofauna Atlasaurus is another masterpiece. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

I am with you that Eofauna probably did the definitive Atlasaurus and had this answer in mind before I read you have the same opinion.

However, I don´t agree with you on the price. It´s not too high compared to the value you get. I think of Schleich toys in the same price range for example which to my mind don´t provide as much value for the money.

suspsy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 02, 2021, 09:49:44 PM
He's still doing the WWD color variation. The 1/35 scale rex gets the WWD colors, the 1/18 scale rex gets the Dino-Riders colors.

Yes, I had been planning to buy the 1/35 scale version until the Dino-Riders scheme for the 1/18 one was announced. It'll be pricey, but Dino-Riders was a huge and happy part of my childhood.

Reuben03

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 02, 2021, 09:49:44 PM
THANK THE LORD

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Gwangi

With PNSO's recent Carnotaurus announcement I think it's safe to say we don't need another one. I'm not saying that the PNSO Carnotaurus is the definitive one but there are certainly plenty of quality Carnotaurus out there. For me I think it's the Wild Safari, though I understand the preference that a lot of people have for CollectA's. And there are plenty of others too of course.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 02, 2021, 11:34:53 PM
With PNSO's recent Carnotaurus announcement I think it's safe to say we don't need another one. I'm not saying that the PNSO Carnotaurus is the definitive one but there are certainly plenty of quality Carnotaurus out there. For me I think it's the Wild Safari, though I understand the preference that a lot of people have for CollectA's. And there are plenty of others too of course.

Well, I prefer Kaiyodo Dinotales` but I agree, we do not need another Carnotaurus.

Gonna emphasize on the Southland`s Diptrodon and Thylacoleo and like to add Eorfauna`s Deinotherium.

Gwangi

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 02, 2021, 11:55:32 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 02, 2021, 11:34:53 PM

Well, I prefer Kaiyodo Dinotales` but I agree, we do not need another Carnotaurus.

Gonna emphasize on the Southland`s Diptrodon and Thylacoleo and like to add Eorfauna`s Deinotherium.

I also like the Dinotales Carnotaurus, and the Battat, and the Carnegie. There are a lot of quality Carnotaurus out there.

Loon

Honestly, if Doug Watson's feathered Tyrannosaurus was either unfettered or had barely any feathers it would be the definitive example of the genus. I'm still waiting to get PNSO's new version, but there's too much I don't like about that figure that I can't really see it dethroning the Safari figure.

I think pretty much all of the famous dinosaurs have definitive versions for now. Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Velociraptor, etc. I'm good.

I feel like Sauropods are the group where the "definitive" status is the most flexible, given the scale issues. As others have said, EoFauna's Atlasaurus is the best version of that genus, especially since it's at a decent scale. Despite a relative small size, I'd argue that Safari's Malawisaurus, Diplodocus, and Camarasaurus are all the best versions of those species.

Shonisaurus

We honestly don't need any more tyrannosaurus rex for now. Those of us who have scientists from Safari, PNSO, Collecta, Rebor (the vinyl versions) and those from fictional films like Nanmu, Rebor, Papo, W-Dragon or other brands to give just a few examples make that dinosaur, the king of dinosaurs and the king of prehistoric animals in general, is sufficiently represented.

suspsy

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 03, 2021, 10:25:33 AM
We honestly don't need any more tyrannosaurus rex for now. Those of us who have scientists from Safari, PNSO, Collecta, Rebor (the vinyl versions) and those from fictional films like Nanmu, Rebor, Papo, W-Dragon or other brands to give just a few examples make that dinosaur, the king of dinosaurs and the king of prehistoric animals in general, is sufficiently represented.

That is not what the question asked.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2021, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 03, 2021, 10:25:33 AM

That is not what the question asked.
Yes, it's true, I don't know what question you mean. I stick to the thread of what genre does not need more dinosaur toys and I honestly mean the tyrannosaurus rex both in its scientific version and in its film version I think it is sufficiently represented in every way.

I believe that the tyrannosaurus rex does not need a new toy although I consider this to be totally impossible. It is the most interesting dinosaur of all for both children and those of us who are collectors.

Anyway, I apologize if I have made a mistake. In my case I have only made that comment without following the comments of the other members of the forum. In any case I humbly ask for your forgiveness, it was not my intention to breach the rules of the forum.

Faelrin

I really agree on the Carnotaurus thing. We are absolutely spoiled with how many accurate or even just aesthetically pleasing ones are out there now. Time to give some other abelisaurids a chance for once!
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Libraraptor

avatar_suspsy @suspsy and avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus:

And by that, I don't mean genera that have legions of toys like Velociraptor and Triceratops and T. rex. I mean genera that have been rendered so beautifully in toy form by one company that you truly believe no other company could possibly surpass it?

This  question explains your misunderstanding. One can understand the title of the thread in one or the other way, but the first question of this thread explicitely excluded T.rex. 

What both the title and the question did not explain: What to answer if one thinks there is already the T.rex, Triceratops and Velociraptor version that cannot be surpassed. This causes a funny dilemma :)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

In no particular order, and I'm pretty sure some of these have already been said .

Altasaurus - Eofauna
Palaeloxodon antiquus - Eofauna
Ankylosaurus - PNSO/Safari
Deinotherium - Eofauna
Pachyrhinosaurus - PNSO
Ichthyosaurus - Safari/Carnegie
Miragaia - PNSO/Carnegie
Triceratops - Safari/Eofauna
Giganotosaurus - Eofauna
Tylosaurus - Safari
Borealopelta - PNSO
Tyrannosaurus - Safari/PNSO
Mastodon - Safari
Lisowicia - CollectA
Elasmotherium - CollectA
Carnotaurus - PNSO/Safari/Carnegie/CollectA
Sarchosuchus - Safari
Atopodentatus - PNSO
Lambeosaurus - PNSO
Megacerops - Safari

Baryonyx - Safari Ltd
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

I agree with avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx , after that new Safari figure, I don't need another Baryonyx. But, it's a dinosaur that exists, so I'm sure at some point one will suddenly manifest out of the PNSO wormhole, and it'll be named "Todd", and it'll cost $40, and it'll look like every inch of its body was stung by bees.

MLMjp

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 03, 2021, 05:30:59 PM
avatar_suspsy @suspsy and avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus:

And by that, I don't mean genera that have legions of toys like Velociraptor and Triceratops and T. rex. I mean genera that have been rendered so beautifully in toy form by one company that you truly believe no other company could possibly surpass it?

This  question explains your misunderstanding. One can understand the title of the thread in one or the other way, but the first question of this thread explicitely excluded T.rex. 

What both the title and the question did not explain: What to answer if one thinks there is already the T.rex, Triceratops and Velociraptor version that cannot be surpassed. This causes a funny dilemma :)
English is not Shonisaurus main language and he sometimes doesn't understand the exact meaning of sentences. I have seen a lot of similar situations in other threads. I am pretty sure he tries his best but sometimes...

So please understand his mistakes.

Gwangi

I'm so taken by the CollectA Edaphosaurus that I dare say we won't need another. I would have said the same for the Bullyland too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: