You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are your collecting goals for 2021?

Started by Faelrin, January 01, 2021, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Don't know if a thread has been started like this before. Didn't see one just yet.

Now that the new year is upon us soon (or now like in my case), and despite everything going on, the hobby is still going strong as ever it seems with new brands on the look out for, or the gifts that keep giving from companies like PNSO.

Any figures one will want to try to obtain within the next year? Like a wishlist of sorts (minus anything unexpected that could come up).

For me personally it would be the:

-Paying back the folks I owe. I'll be honest. I still owe some folks money. I won't name names here, but if you see this you know who you are, and I want you to know I'm truly sorry things have taken this long. I'm not proud of it, but my financial situation unexpectedly took a turn for the worst near the end of the year, made even worse with my whole family catching covid. We are still struggling. So once things can hopefully pick back up, that will be taken care of.

-Getting the Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo and Diprotodon. The Thylacine too, but I prioritize the others first being like the only options for those on the market. Out of production now I think? Assuming they are still all in stock when I can get the chance.

-Getting some more Bullyland mammals, particularly the Giant Sloth, and Deinotherium.

-I may have missed my chance with these, with these all being out of production now, but the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus, Deinonychus trio, and Tenontosaurus corpse diorama.

-Catching up on many of the PNSO figures I am behind on such as the Lambeosaurus, Spinosaurus, minis, etc.

-Ordering more of the LIFE game minis. Really want a bit more if I can.

-Any CollectA figures I am behind on getting such as the Paleozoic ones, the invertebrates, the Iguanodon, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

-finally getting the Papo Spinosaurus and eofauna
-trying to expand into other companies (all I have is cheaposaurs and Mojo, I know, it's unimpressive)
-and maybe repainting and sculpting more figures

Wallnut

Well I need some retired figurines  :))
-Kaiyodo Dinoland  saltasaurus theres couple of them in ebay but they are expensive.
-Kaiyodo dino expo fukuiraptor and fukuiraptor skeleton they are not expensive around 50 dolars
-Schleich diabloceratops not the best but very accurate.
-Schleich spinosaurus good figurine tail is not accurate but there was no new spino tail so it was accurate for its time.
-Carnegie Mountain price is sky high but it comes with 28 carnegies (mainly old ones) and theres no duplicates so its a +

Faelrin

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno Hey man you gotta start somewhere. I started with the Hasbro Jurassic World figures, and I'm sure everyone is aware about how less then stellar they were by now. Give it time. It could take years even but yeah. Patience is certainly a virtue and it pays off great. Well hopefully eventually. Also if enjoy having any of those don't let anyone get you feeling bad about them. Lord knows there's folks that find many of the JW figures (if not Schleich, etc) unappealing but that isn't getting in the way of my enjoyment of them for example. Hopefully you get that Spinosaurus. I know you've been waiting a long while for it.

And honestly with how much great stuff is pumped each year it can be a real doozy trying to stay on top of it (if one can afford too anyways).

That also reminds me I forgot (sadly) about adding some Eofauna figures to this list. Maybe if I can, I want to get the Giganotosaurus if not at least one of the mammals (either the mammoth or Deinotheirum, unless they surprise with something else like a Paraceratherium next year, etc).

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Faelrin on January 01, 2021, 07:24:14 AM
avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno Hey man you gotta start somewhere. I started with the Hasbro Jurassic World figures, and I'm sure everyone is aware about how less then stellar they were by now. Give it time. It could take years even but yeah. Patience is certainly a virtue and it pays off great. Well hopefully eventually. Also if enjoy having any of those don't let anyone get you feeling bad about them. Lord knows there's folks that find many of the JW figures (if not Schleich, etc) unappealing but that isn't getting in the way of my enjoyment of them for example. Hopefully you get that Spinosaurus. I know you've been waiting a long while for it.
[/b]
And honestly with how much great stuff is pumped each year it can be a real doozy trying to stay on top of it (if one can afford too anyways).

That also reminds me I forgot (sadly) about adding some Eofauna figures to this list. Maybe if I can, I want to get the Giganotosaurus if not at least one of the mammals (either the mammoth or Deinotheirum, unless they surprise with something else like a Paraceratherium next year, etc).
Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin . I also wanted to say for the past few weeks it was fun to talk with you, so do you mind if I add you to my Buddy list?

Libraraptor

Well I collect without any goal or focus,  I don't have specific plans. I wait for what I come across and wants my attention or wants to be part of my collection.  That is basically it.

ceratopsian

My goal for this year is very simple: to find some models that call out to me.

Bread

1) Acquire some more PNSO figures.
2) Make sure the PNSO figures arrive to my doorstep.... I am already having issues with one of them....
Quote from: Libraraptor on January 01, 2021, 01:38:00 PM
Well I collect without any goal or focus,  I don't have specific plans. I wait for what I come across and wants my attention or wants to be part of my collection.  That is basically it.
Quote from: ceratopsian on January 01, 2021, 02:00:35 PM
My goal for this year is very simple: to find some models that call out to me.
I agree with both of these statements/quotes. I see what is released and if I like it, I may buy it.

MLMjp

In the hopes that Mattel will release mostly repaints because of the JW Dominion delay:

-Getting the few figures I still need to get and the few new figures and repaints that I look foward to.
-Taking a break from JW so I can go back to collect regular figures.

Most notably:

-Catching up on Safari figures: Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Carnotaurus...etc.
-Get some PNSOs (Wilson is calling me...)

However I am not sure if I will be able to go back to regular figures, since I am currently focused on another collecting hobby that takes quite the budget. And I have the feeling that, If I manage to "finish" (Until new figures come) the Jurassic World collection, I will focus even more on that hobby.

Gwangi

My goal is to focus on PNSO's mid-size range, and catch up a bit on Safari and CollectA. I also started collecting Marx in 2020 so would like to expand that collection more. I would like to say that I would be focusing on finishing up my Invicta collection but I haven't bought an Invicta model in about 4 years, so that seems unlikely.

Shonisaurus

My objectives:

Schleich's mosasaurus, brontosaurus and kaprosuchus in my Natural Science Museum Shop.

Collect the second wave of Collecta 2020 news in my Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences.

The two giganotosaurus from Nanmu (I only need to pay the cheapest shipping costs in my case) in the lacitedesnuages.be store

Pay the shipping costs and of course the figure of the gorilla Rebor limited version that I have reserved in bigbadtoystore.

With that I am going to settle because my economy and my personal circumstances in my case make me be very cautious about what may happen in the future not only to me but to the world economy.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Faelrin on January 01, 2021, 07:24:14 AM

I'll be on the lookout for that Giga if I find another like the last time. avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin

Syndicate Bias

Hmm I just ordered the Paleocraft Concavenator resin kit last night and have the two Nanmu Gigas ordered as well. So far that's all I had left of interest for 2021.

The only thing I will add to my non existent list is the Torvosaurus resin kit from Crecy Models and possibly obtain the Mapusaurus resin kit if I can still get one.

Faelrin

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno Sure, go for it.

S @Syndicate Bias Ah yes I remember that. Glad to hear you'll me out again if you get the chance.

Thanks for everyone sharing their lists and ideas and what not. It's been really interesting seeing what folks may be after next year, if anything in particular.

Dusty Wren

I'd like to pick up the PNSO Miragaia and Sinoceratops in 2021. I'm also really excited about that CollectA Doedicurus. Other than that, I don't have plans to buy any specific models. I still have some more BotM ceratopsians coming my way this year, including some big dudes who will be taking up my shelf space.

Speaking of, one of my goals is to get new shelves this year. Boring, I know, but kind of necessary ;D My collection is mostly out of sight in my bedroom right now, but I'd like to get some classy shelving units and move it out to the living room.

I'd also like to try repainting some figures this year. Seems like a good hobby to get into while I'm stuck at home.
Check out my customs thread!

indohyus

Possibly more Beasts of the Mesozoic, and definitely CollectA.

Gwangi

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 01, 2021, 07:59:12 PM
I'd like to pick up the PNSO Miragaia and Sinoceratops in 2021. I'm also really excited about that CollectA Doedicurus. Other than that, I don't have plans to buy any specific models. I still have some more BotM ceratopsians coming my way this year, including some big dudes who will be taking up my shelf space.

Speaking of, one of my goals is to get new shelves this year. Boring, I know, but kind of necessary ;D My collection is mostly out of sight in my bedroom right now, but I'd like to get some classy shelving units and move it out to the living room.

I'd also like to try repainting some figures this year. Seems like a good hobby to get into while I'm stuck at home.

Shelving is something I need to focus on too, and certainly not boring. The nicest collection can look lazy and cheap without the right shelving.

bmathison1972

I am hoping for a more quite 2021, since my synoptic collection is solidifying nicely. Will have to see if the Japanese companies get as crazy with the arthropods as they did in 2020! Man, 2020 was a hefty year for the jointed feet!

I know in early 2021 Bandai is releasing a set of crabs (of which I'll get three of four figures) and large caterpillars (3 figures, for which I'll get all 3).

Among the 'major Western' manufacturers, until we see what Mojo has, this is what I plan on getting:

Safari Ltd:
melanistic leopard
Baryonyx
Daspletosautus

CollectA:
basking shark (replaces Safari Ltd model)
American lobster
donkey (replaces older CollectA model)
Texas longhorn cattle
Xiphactinus

Papo:
European robin
grey heron
European lobster
common starfish (will replace my Safari WS Sealife figure)
Old World swallowtail
Old World swallowtail, larva
black ant
MAYBE:
Caramague bull
Canada goose (depends on size and quality compared to Safari TOOB figure)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

To get all (or most) of the new PNSO figures from Everything Dinosaur including the Borealopelta, Corythosaurus and Atopodentatus from the first batch and Machairoceratops, Miragaia, Sinoceratops and Tyrannosaurus from the second batch, and also to get the W Dragon Giraffatitan and the Safari Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus. And maybe the IToy Paraceratherium as well.
Also to rearrange my collection again, at least in part, and sell of some of the figures that are being replaced by newcomers. Again.
I need to make some choices about that, as I also collect Doctor Who and Star Wars figures though I have decided to narrow down the latter to mostly just keep villains.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

I definitely plan on buying less. Which won't be too hard, as 2021 seems to offer very few new figures I'm actually interested in. Another goal is to narrow down my collection. Time to go all Marie Kodo on this ish. I think I have too much; I could probably sell half of them and not even care. Like, do I really care that much about Suchomimus?

Besides, I need to make room for all my new Breyers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: