News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fixing up Blue

Started by bettashark, January 10, 2021, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettashark

My family was kind enough to support my new(/old) hobby by giving me some cheap toys to practice on! One of them is a small model of the famous Blue. With GIANT feet. Huge! I guess they were trying to get her to stand, but she most decidedly did not. So I pulled out the non-xacto knife and went at it! Amazingly, with smaller feet, she had an easier time balancing, though she was still tail-heavy. Next was the hot water treatment. I reshaped the legs so they're more directly underneath and the feet are flat on the ground. Better, but still very unstable. Finally, I stretched her head forward just a little, and ta-da! She stands on her own two feet with no base or stand of any kind!
I'm hoping to repaint her as well, possibly even grab the E-6000 and the craft feathers and see what I can do. I'm not really into Jurassic Park, so I'm not too emotionally attached to keeping her as this specific character, and if she gets ruined, well, that's the price of learning.
Also, she's gray and the table is tan. I have no idea why my phone camera decided they were both yellow.

bettashark

Yeah, the hands are wrong, but honestly, the entire arms are just tiny! They look very strange. The head is too short as well, but I may be able to fix that with more hot water. The neck is too short, the chest is too small, the back isn't rounded enough, and the hips are way too broad, but there's only so much I can fix, especially since this is the teeny tiny model. But a good coat of fluff can hide many sins...

Dusty Wren

I'm really impressed with what you managed to do with some hot water and patience. She looks alert and kind of curious in this pose, which is very charming.

What colors were you thinking for the repaint/feathering?
Check out my customs thread!

bettashark

Here's my progress so far. I've added a lot of epoxy! I actually cut the legs off, slimmed the hips, and superglued them back in place. Somehow this actually stood better than the wide stance! Then I got to work correcting the shape of the body, creating a raised curve to the back. Then I noticed that the ischium and pubis should actually exist, so I added that area. I also broadened the ribcage and shoulders and thickened the neck. Currently working on new arms and putting off the part that really scares me: building a new head on top of the existing one! It should be about twice as wide at the rear of the skull and also somewhat longer. All of the sculpting is being done in two-part epoxy, a little at a time.

bettashark

I haven't selected a color scheme yet, although gray actually isn't implausible, given the few species whose colors we do know. It'll also be limited by what kinds of feathers I can get. Probably grays, browns, whites, and maybe a few iridescent feathers.

Loon

I'm pretty interested to see where this goes, especially since this is such a tiny figure.

bettashark

Latest progress! I've straightened the tail a bit (it kept springing back so I've settled for this), thinned the feet to something reasonable, added more thigh muscle, added a bit more arch to the spine, added more muscle to the shoulders, begun work on the arms (I need to go get real tools to finish them), coated almost the entire model in a thin layer of epoxy, and the alterations to the head are in progress. It just about balances, but not quite. That's ok. Lots of work to be done anyway. I'm thinking I'll wind up sculpting feathers, though I may use some polymer clay and bake it separately and superglue it on, since thin epoxy is fairly brittle.
Also bonus Banana the betta.

indohyus

Wow! Good going, looks fantastic. The final piece is gonna be amazing.

Wallnut

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Wow, it looks really promising, would like to see how it turns out
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Way to make lemonade out of lemons!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

You're doing an excellent job!

At this point, you've done so much alteration that you're basically just using the old figure as an armature. Do you think you will start sculpting figures from scratch?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.