You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectAs Eating T-rex is getting a base

Started by Takama, October 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Eventually these companies might figure out a method for making a base that would work with any figure provided from their line...you buy a group of six and they are all fixed problem solved. And why does the base have to be colored? Could they not make something clear to hold the feet nicely , ans stabilize without messing up the view?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

I had a dinofigure - trade with wullewux yesterday. She told me she had a talk about the T.rex - problem with Miron from urzeitshop.de. CollectA are aware of the toppling rex and finally changed it.
As for myself, I just got this fine T.rex yesterday, and mine doesn´t stand right either. All the controversy about sculpt of the head of CollectA feeding T.rex and all aside, I think bases should be user more often.

Mironimus

I like the two-footed figures without a base.
But it seems like that CollectA had always trouble with these figures.

Looks like CollectA experimented on the feet of the T.rex with prey.
As you can see the feet of the left figure are a bit bigger.

My tip:
To fix a figure that lacks stability it's good to use a hair dryer.
Heat up the leg untill it's flexible, stand the figure on it's two feet, press the feet down to the ground, hold the figure in a horizontal position, now use the cold air of your hair dryer to cool down the leg(s).
When the figure stands safely I would hold the feet under ice cold water.
READY. ;-)

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 15, 2012, 07:18:54 AM
Eventually these companies might figure out a method for making a base that would work with any figure provided from their line...you buy a group of six and they are all fixed problem solved. And why does the base have to be colored? Could they not make something clear to hold the feet nicely , ans stabilize without messing up the view?

The base will be injected with the plastic material at the same time as the rest, and so will be the same material and colour.  Clear material is going to be very different--and more expensive.  However, a removable, clear base could work. We will see what the response is to Safari's Mola base this year.

Takama

Quote from: Mironimus on October 15, 2012, 11:32:59 AM
I like the two-footed figures without a base.
But it seems like that CollectA had always trouble with these figures.

Looks like CollectA experimented on the feet of the T.rex with prey.
As you can see the feet of the left figure are a bit bigger.

My tip:
To fix a figure that lacks stability it's good to use a hair dryer.
Heat up the leg untill it's flexible, stand the figure on it's two feet, press the feet down to the ground, hold the figure in a horizontal position, now use the cold air of your hair dryer to cool down the leg(s).
When the figure stands safely I would hold the feet under ice cold water.
READY. ;-)

I tried all those methods, Heck i evean enlisted the help of my largest figures( Carnegi Girafatitains) To stand on his feet to get him to stay.

Does the bigger feet work? or not?  I have my Mapusaurus, and i notice that his feet are a little bigger then the T-rexs, and he stands perfectly

Mironimus

I don't see that the slightly bigger feet are better.
When I'm done with the hair dryer all the figures stand quite good.

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on October 15, 2012, 03:52:25 PM
The base will be injected with the plastic material at the same time as the rest, and so will be the same material and colour.  Clear material is going to be very different--and more expensive.  However, a removable, clear base could work. We will see what the response is to Safari's Mola base this year.
I favour a clear, removable base entirely. Breyer does so with many of their model horses (for a myriad of active poses). I'm surprised this hasn't been adopted much sooner by manufacturers of dinosaurs.

Takama

Closer shot, and the oppisite side

Well I finally got him to stand correctly, Almost is like the Prototype in Puplicity photos

Right now I am not planing on getting this updated figure unless something really bad happens tomy current one.

But i think it is nice that they did something to fix it.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 15, 2012, 05:22:53 AM
Quote from: Takama on October 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM
Title says it.       Given on how much trouble i had with my own figure. I say it was imanate

Interesting. Makes sense for this top-heavy figure. Mine stands up, but not so stable.
Are the ones with bases out now replacing the baseless ones? I'm pretty sure the ones without the base will now be a collectors item. Was the oviraptor ever been released without a  base? I heard that there was a very short release of it without the base, but I don't know  of anyone every owning or seeing it. maybe this will be the same with T-rex :)

At least with the rex, There is proof that the figure was relesed to the puplic.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 15, 2012, 05:54:29 AM
Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2012, 03:06:38 AM
One thing im hopeing is that they run a program for those who have the current figure, to trade it in for the new one, or something along those lines.

I am constantly bakeing my specimen to get him to stand on his lazey feet, but i dont like shelling out the cash for a replacement
I doubt it. I've never heard of a company doing that. I don't think Battat did it with their 3 different versions of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I could be wrong of course.

Btw, did you keep the plastic stand that came with your Rex? I always do this with my CollectA theropods, since none of them stand by themselves (I own the Mapusaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Rajasaurus and Therizinosaurus) It will save you a lot of headaches.

Foolishly, I trashed it as soon as I got the figure.  Thinking that i could fix it with a hairdryer.

you can see i finally succeded

ZoPteryx

Interesting choice by CollectA.  Maybe it's just me, but the feet look really sunken down into the base, I'm not sure how I feel about that. :-\

brontodocus

I was just thinking... there are so many 3.75" human figures around, especially Star Wars, that have a hole of standardized diameter underneath one foot so these figures can be put onto bases with one or more pegs that exactly fit into this hole. I guess this would work for many, many theropod figures, too (at least the smaller ones). There are also no-name clear bases around - or companies could make their own interchangeable bases for dinosaurs. Why was I talking about Star Wars figures? Aw, come on, you don't believe I would... oh, well, just forget it... :-[ ;D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 15, 2012, 11:33:11 PM
Interesting choice by CollectA.  Maybe it's just me, but the feet look really sunken down into the base, I'm not sure how I feel about that. :-\

It's in very soft mud! They did live on coastal plains after all.

Takama

I Give up. ::)     Eveytime i get it perfect it topples over the nexet day >:(.   

That being said i cant wait for this to come out 8).   At least i have photos that prove that the figure Exists without the base

Takama

I just contacted CollectAs USA branch and they said it would be out in November.

Seijun

After correcting the legs, try putting the figure in the fridge for a few months. I am trying this on a battat carno and a dino riders figure. The cold keeps the corrected body parts from warping back. My theory is that after a few months of being "frozen" in the new position, the plastic will set and wont warp back.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DC

Quote from: Seijun on October 21, 2012, 10:41:23 AM
After correcting the legs, try putting the figure in the fridge for a few months. I am trying this on a battat carno and a dino riders figure. The cold keeps the corrected body parts from warping back. My theory is that after a few months of being "frozen" in the new position, the plastic will set and wont warp back.

Not a bad idea, latex has memory.  That is why you have to watch how you store figures.   Big feet is one solution but the blogs will crucify you for it.  Snow shoes are ugly.  Bases are another solution but they do not sell well.  Then there is the arched tail.  I like Seans clear base option or maybe a detachable base like Bandi used.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2012, 11:13:49 PM

Wow, either your hand is ginormous or the T. Rex is even smaller than I thought it was. How big is it compared to other toys?

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jetoar

I like the idea that some figures have a base  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

Ok.  I just got word from CollectA.

The figure shold ship out on the last week of november

Jetoar

Ok thanks for share this information friend  ^-^. I dont see the figure alone in Spain.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on November 18, 2012, 04:59:43 PM
Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2012, 11:13:49 PM

Wow, either your hand is ginormous or the T. Rex is even smaller than I thought it was. How big is it compared to other toys?

That is not me holding the model,   i took this from another blog,   i doubt that they mind

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: