You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectAs Eating T-rex is getting a base

Started by Takama, October 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Title says it.       Given on how much trouble i had with my own figure. I say it was imanate

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Roselaar

Not a bad idea. Now for all the other Theropods that can't stand up straight...

juju1305

Interestingly, some of the CollectA theropods stand, some don't, and it varies from one unit of the same figure to another.
This hunting t-rex stands perfectly, while my concavenator, mapusaurus and kelenken don't want to stand. My rajasaurus had stability issues, but after a minor pressure exerted on the legs, it stands perfectly now...

Based could provide a very good solution. One thing manufacturers should consider is a separate base for each leg, like Bullyland did with their liliensternus.

Ikessauro

Quote from: juju1305 on October 14, 2012, 06:56:52 PM
Based could provide a very good solution. One thing manufacturers should consider is a separate base for each leg, like Bullyland did with their liliensternus.

I myself think a single base is better. Usually these "snowshoe" dinosaurs look silly. The only thing these "snowshoes" do is aid in the stability, but they really do not look like a base IMHO. And being molded fused with the feet you really don't have much guarantee that the legs will not bend anyway. I mean, such small bases will just go with the feet whichever direction the leg is bent, thus not solving the problem.
They should go for a more complete look, like the one in the photo, but detachable, with pins on the base that goes in a little hole in the feet, much like the new Favorite dinos. That way you can remove the base whenever you want for diorama shots or to play with them in case you're a kid (or adult, who am I to judge ;) :))).

tyrantqueen

Does this mean that the previous version (without the base) will become more sought after?

Arrancon

I now want this. Is it being sold like this now? Because I won't put it on the X - Mas list unless it definitely has the base.

alexeratops

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 14, 2012, 07:22:48 PM
Quote from: juju1305 on October 14, 2012, 06:56:52 PM

I myself think a single base is better. Usually these "snowshoe" dinosaurs look silly. The only thing these "snowshoes" do is aid in the stability, but they really do not look like a base IMHO. And being molded fused with the feet you really don't have much guarantee that the legs will not bend anyway. I mean, such small bases will just go with the feet whichever direction the leg is bent, thus not solving the problem.
They should go for a more complete look, like the one in the photo, but detachable, with pins on the base that goes in a little hole in the feet, much like the new Favorite dinos. That way you can remove the base whenever you want for diorama shots or to play with them in case you're a kid(or adult, who am I to judge ;) :))).

That's me!!!  ::)
like a bantha!

alexeratops

like a bantha!

CityRaptor

Getting a base? Bad for completists ( you know, those who collect EVERY variant ), but good for those who generally want this guy, which includes me.

I really hate when a Dinosaur can not stand at all. So a base is welcome.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 14, 2012, 07:59:51 PM
Does this mean that the previous version (without the base) will become more sought after?

most likely

SBell

This may be why the Canadian supplier never had any to ship to me--they may have been reworked very early in their release.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bases make sense to me...and they are usually easily hidden in different ways.

Balaur

Quote from: Takama on October 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM
Title says it.       Given on how much trouble i had with my own figure. I say it was imanate

Cool! I'm going to get one when I have the chance!  ;)

Patrx

Awesome, I love bases. I'm not a big fan of this figure, but hopefully this change is a sign that CollectA will do more bases on future models.

ajax

Takama

One thing im hopeing is that they run a program for those who have the current figure, to trade it in for the new one, or something along those lines.

I am constantly bakeing my specimen to get him to stand on his lazey feet, but i dont like shelling out the cash for a replacement

ajax

Stand him on plasticine. I make small balls of it and put it under the figure's feet and push down on the figure, then it kinda sets hard after a while. I have about 6 dinosaurs standing this way. Sometimes in summer when its very hot the plasticine melts slightly and the figure can still fall over.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Takama on October 14, 2012, 04:31:33 PM

Interesting. Makes sense for this top-heavy figure. Mine stands up, but not so stable.
Are the ones with bases out now replacing the baseless ones? I'm pretty sure the ones without the base will now be a collectors item. Was the oviraptor ever been released without a  base? I heard that there was a very short release of it without the base, but I don't know  of anyone every owning or seeing it. maybe this will be the same with T-rex :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2012, 03:06:38 AM
One thing im hopeing is that they run a program for those who have the current figure, to trade it in for the new one, or something along those lines.

I am constantly bakeing my specimen to get him to stand on his lazey feet, but i dont like shelling out the cash for a replacement
I doubt it. I've never heard of a company doing that. I don't think Battat did it with their 3 different versions of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I could be wrong of course.

Btw, did you keep the plastic stand that came with your Rex? I always do this with my CollectA theropods, since none of them stand by themselves (I own the Mapusaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Rajasaurus and Therizinosaurus) It will save you a lot of headaches.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: