You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wren's Repaints: Paleo Sculpture Paraceratherium

Started by Dusty Wren, February 19, 2021, 01:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 28, 2021, 04:55:56 AM
Wry nice modifications and fix on this figure.
I love the repaint, really brings out so much of the details and really makes the figure eye catching, good job!😃 nice blending of colors, too.

Thanks, Boki. It's good to hear that the color blending looks all right, because I messed it up and had to repaint it a bunch of times before I got it where I wanted it. I really need an airbrush ;D

CollectA's Kamuysaurus is such a charming figure. Lots of detail on this little guy. I made some minor modifications before the repaint--the CollectA and CE logos are really prominent on the standard-size figures, so I shaved them down with a knife and sculpted some scales over them with epoxy. Did the same for the text on the belly while I was at it.

Colors are loosely based on the African jacana.

Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

Stegotyranno420

Wow, you are amazing at repaint dude. You inspired me to get back in repainting.

SidB

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's a gorgeous repaint, as is your. Megaloceras. You have really brought out the best in that Hadrosaur
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dusty Wren

Thanks all, I really appreciate the kind words!

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, I'm glad you found it inspiring. I hope you do get back into repainting. 

Stegotyranno420

Already did bro. Will post pics today or tomorrow

Kapitaenosavrvs

I really like it. Wonderfully applied and chosen. Lovely coloration. I can only imagine how good it looks inhand. That Model ist so small, yet heavily detailed. Really pleasing to look at with this Repaint.

Bokisaurus

Wow, it turned out really nice! I love the colors and you were able to handle the blue color really well, it's a difficult color to use but when used successfully, it's stunning!
I love this figure, so much details packed into it despite its small size.
I agree, the prints on the belly and side of the figures is a little too obvious and distracting, I had to work hard trying to obscure it when I photographed the figure for my review 😃

Shonisaurus

Nice repaint of kamuysaurus. You have given a lot of life to that Collecta figure, considering that it is one of the most complex Collecta figures of that year. It is not easy to satisfactorily repaint such a small dinosaur figure or other prehistoric animal.

Halichoeres

Oh, that turned out great, particularly considering what a small canvas the Kamuysaurus presents!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

This isn't a "repaint" so much as it is a "paint," I guess, but I just finished a little resin Paraceratherium by Mike Eischen (link to his shop on Ebay).

The sculpting on this guy is phenomenal. The bulging muscles and skin folds give the impression of a big, heavy animal, even though the figure itself is a little less than 4 inches long. It comes with a tiny Asian elephant for scale.

I did some sanding to clean up a few mold lines and patched some air bubbles with epoxy. The paint scheme is pretty simple, because, y'know, giant rhino. Mostly just variations of warm and cool grays. All in all, a fast project, but very satisfying.

ceratopsian

It's a beautiful, natural-looking resin sculpt with a very "alive" feel.  Your painting has done it full justice.

Dusty Wren

Thank you, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian! It is a great sculpture, and I'm glad to hear that the paint job works. With a color scheme this simple, it's easy to second-guess your decisions and wonder if you should have done something more elaborate.

ceratopsian

I think you made absolutely the right choice of colour palette here.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 23, 2021, 12:05:57 PM
Thank you, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian! It is a great sculpture, and I'm glad to hear that the paint job works. With a color scheme this simple, it's easy to second-guess your decisions and wonder if you should have done something more elaborate.

Shonisaurus

You have done a good job, it is a work of art and also you have focused on my favorite prehistoric mammal, very little valued by the dinosaur brands except for Itoy and Collecta today. My congratulations.

triceratops83

That Paracatherium is very natural and realistic, even better than the modern elephants and rhinos from brands like Schleich.
And I'm still wishing the CollectA Kamuysaurus came in the colour scheme you've come up with.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Eischen makes some cool figures. I did a very amateurish repaint of his Kannemeyeria, but this Paraceratherium is a top-notch job! Understated works well for it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I've always wondered why Paraceratherium doesn't get more attention from toy companies. People seem to like toys of living elephants and rhinos well enough that a giant, long-necked, extinct rhino seems like it would be a crowd-pleaser. It's a real shame. 

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83, thank you kindly! Glad you like the Kamuysaurus as well. I've always thought the blue/brown combo is a striking one.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, agreed, I love Eischen's stuff. He's been coming out with a lot of new figures lately, and the resin version of the Kannemeyeria is one of the ones that caught my eye. What color did you end up painting yours? 

Bokisaurus

Very nice work on that paraceratherium! The colors worked out beautiful and very seamlessly blended. Did you paint it's friend as well?
I almost got the pair but it was too small😃

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: