News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best Woolly Mammoth Figure?

Started by Subduction, February 19, 2021, 08:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subduction

(I'm sorry if these threads seem redundant. I don't think I'm breaking any rules so...)

Hey there guys! I'm having a hard time deciding which woolly mammoth figure I want for my collection. So what is the best woolly mammoth figure in your opinion?

Even though there's the Eofauna's Steppe Mammoth, I want a Woolly Mammoth figure as well. There are no wrong answers, especially since "best" is a subjective term.

Lanthanotus

Loon

I'd recommend the Carnegie Mammoth, it's the only one that looks good and is a decent size. Though, the smaller Wild Safari Mammoth is pretty nice, if a bit tiny.

Subduction

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus avatar_Loon @Loon
Ohh, I didn't know the Carnegie Collection had a Woolly Mammoth! I just took a look at it and I gotta say, I think that one might be a winner! But of course everyone can still share their favorites.

Thank you so much! :D

Gwangi

I would also suggest the Carnegie. It's not only my favorite woolly mammoth but easily one of my favorites in the entire Carnegie Collection. The one by Favorite Co. looks really good too, though I still prefer the Carnegie.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Carnegie, Tyco, Mammoth Warriors  are all pretty good.  The Safari Mastodon is a good companion for the Carnegie mammoth as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 19, 2021, 09:26:05 PM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Did you mean Galaxy Warriors?

I haven't heaerd of that one until now, I meant this guy :

He's by HG Toys and has a poseable trunk.

Faelrin

I have both the Carnegie Collection and Safari Ltd ones, and those are easily the top two I would recommend. The Carnegie Collection one scales pretty close or decently alongside most of Safari Ltd's other prehistoric mammal figures (such as the American Mastodon as mentioned). The smaller Safari Ltd one goes alongside nicely with other 1:40 models.

On that note, it is a shame how there is no Columbian Mammoth to go alongside the many Woolly and Eofauna's Steppe mammoths.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thialfi

Carnegie is definitely the golden standard (and just today I bought a decent priced one on Ebay, after ages of looking - what a coincidence). The Favorite Co. and Papo (yes, Papo) ones are actually pretty good as well. I have the Papo one and I definitely don't mind it. It's good. It fits well with figures around the 1:20 scale, is properly shaped, big and furry. I like its calm demeanor.

Oh yeah, and the Safari Ltd. and CollectA baby mammoths are pretty great additions to any mature woolly. I have them both and they're reallu cute, well sculpted and cheap! Makes for a happy family.

sauroid

Carnegie is pretty much the standard for mammoth figures.
the Papo one has a very weird misplaced eyes which makes it look like a well detailed snuffleapagus
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Thialfi

Heh, it never bothered me but I see your point now, yes. They are a bit high up. Still a competent figure as far as I'm concerned.

sauroid

good job on the photomanipulation S @Stolpergeist . ideally the position of the eyes should be on the dent near the outer corner a bit far away from the forehead.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Thialfi

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 20, 2021, 01:58:31 PM

Heeeey, wow, that's a great manipulation that proves your point very eloquently, thank you. I agree with you, it definitely could have been better.

On another note: I believe PNSO teased a woolly mammoth at some point, or it was featured in an image or video (per accident?), which looked really, really good. I wonder what's up with that one, and if it will ever see the light of day.

Thialfi

S @Stolpergeist good point, at this point we can only hope, hope, hope. It's exactly how you describe it: that hair, the movement! I have rarely, if ever, seen such exquisite detail in a woolly mammoth figure thus far.

Duna

I also want a mammooth in my collection. Only one, and of course it should be the woolly one. After seen what Eofauna does with their proboscideans, I have made myself the promise to buy nothing until Eofauna releases a woolly mammoth and a paraceratherium. I also promised that about the deinotherium and only less than a year before there it is in my shelf, so the wait may not be too long. I will wait whatever it takes. :)

SidB

I've managed to acquire two extra Carnegie Safari Wooly Mammoths as well as an extra Schleich and an extra Papo as well, all of which are now surplus to my collection. If anyone is interested in a trade or purchase, I'm open to the possibility. PM me if interested. Apologies for putting this into this thread, but it seemed advantageous to you potential Mammoth-seekers out there.

sauroid

the TOMY Ania wooly mammoth looks good but it's undersized and the trunk is articulated

Subduction

There are too many posts for me to individually reply to but I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions! So thank you! I decided to go with the Carnegie version. Now it's just a matter of having the money and finding one for sale! :D

Although I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe one day, PNSO or another high-quality company will produce their own version. I feel like when it comes to the higher end stuff, Paleozoic and Cenozoic animals don't get any love. I know there are resin kits but they tend to be expensive.

Thialfi

Quote from: Subduction on February 22, 2021, 08:13:40 PM
There are too many posts for me to individually reply to but I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions! So thank you! I decided to go with the Carnegie version. Now it's just a matter of having the money and finding one for sale! :D

Although I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe one day, PNSO or another high-quality company will produce their own version. I feel like when it comes to the higher end stuff, Paleozoic and Cenozoic animals don't get any love. I know there are resin kits but they tend to be expensive.
Definitely keep an eye out for the Carnegie on eBay - they pop up pretty regularly for decent enough prices (20-40 USD). Good luck finding one!

Thialfi

Quote from: Stolpergeist on February 22, 2021, 08:26:00 PM
Quote from: sauroid on February 21, 2021, 05:25:25 PM
the TOMY Ania wooly mammoth looks good but it's undersized and the trunk is articulated

Ah bummer, I was tempted but didn't know what size it would have.
Do you have a Hans or Arthur or something similar for scale to put next to it?
Sorry, no Arthur or Hans, but I extracted this image from a Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIiHH6FuSeE&ab_channel=myToySTV%26AudreyYung). Those are the hands of a grown up person.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: