You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dzharatitanis kingi, a new rebbachisaurid genus from the Bissekty Formation

Started by austrosaurus, February 25, 2021, 02:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrosaurus

Alexander Averianov and Hans-Dieter Sues have named a new genus of rebbachisaurid, Dzharatitanis kingi, from the mid-Cretaceous Bissekty Formation of Uzbekistan. Although known from a single caudal vertebra, the holotype is well-preserved and shows distinctive rebbachisaurid autapomorphies. As the youngest-known rebbachisaurid and the first named member of the clade from Asia, the authors consider it likely to have descended from European genera such as Demandasaurus and the so-called Wessex rebbachisaurid, although in my opinion a close relation to African species such as Rebbachisaurus is at least equally possible.
The paper is open-access:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0246620

austrosaurus

I forgot to add that the authors also included an indeterminate braincase from the same formation in their phylogenetic analyses and found it to clade within Titanosauriformes rather than Rebbachisauridae, confirming the presence of at least two sauropods in the Bissekty Formation.

Dynomikegojira

Halichoeres

Cool, thanks for sharing. The formation rang a bell, and it turns out I'd seen it before as the one that gave us Azhdarcho and hence the name Azhdarchidae. I'm digging these Uzbek names.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.