You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

I've been reducing my large inventory over the last couple of years to make room for figures that have at least a chance of being displayed, rather than always remaining in storage, including my collection of Carnegie Safaris. I've only retained the best, including this particular Albertosaurus. I like it, despite some flaws. As you say, it possessed the special virtue of remaining horizontal, it had decent proportions and anyways, how many Albertosaurus' are out there anyways. I suspect that this is a permanent "keeper." Glad that you, as always, measured and posted the scale. I had suspected that it was on the small size for 1/40, but I'm glad to have this suspicion proven wrong.

Baryonyx

I wanted to join in to say I'm appreciating your thread a great deal, L @Leyster. The Carnegie Corythosaurus is absolutely superb, I'm so glad I managed to find mine. Also, I have modified my Terra Acrocanthosaurus to allow it to stand by reverse-inserting wire through its legs (which was fiddly). I have been meaning to share pictures if anyone is interested. With the new sturdiness to the legs, the distribution of weight of the sculpt does indeed let it stand.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on March 30, 2021, 01:23:28 PM
I've been reducing my large inventory over the last couple of years to make room for figures that have at least a chance of being displayed, rather than always remaining in storage, including my collection of Carnegie Safaris. I've only retained the best, including this particular Albertosaurus. I like it, despite some flaws. As you say, it possessed the special virtue of remaining horizontal, it had decent proportions and anyways, how many Albertosaurus' are out there anyways. I suspect that this is a permanent "keeper." Glad that you, as always, measured and posted the scale. I had suspected that it was on the small size for 1/40, but I'm glad to have this suspicion proven wrong.
Well, it more or less depend on the specimen, RTMP 81.10.1 is decently complete and it should be an adulti, but is not the biggest Albertosaurus. I suspect it would end on a smaller scale if I used some of the largest specimens (I recall voices of a 10+ m Albertosaurus specimen somewhere). The Carnegie fits for 1:40 in the range of the species, anyway.
Quote from: Baryonyx on March 30, 2021, 01:42:38 PM
I wanted to join in to say I'm appreciating your thread a great deal, L @Leyster. The Carnegie Corythosaurus is absolutely superb, I'm so glad I managed to find mine. Also, I have modified my Terra Acrocanthosaurus to allow it to stand by reverse-inserting wire through its legs (which was fiddly). I have been meaning to share pictures if anyone is interested. With the new sturdiness to the legs, the distribution of weight of the sculpt does indeed let it stand.
I would never have the courage to perform such an invasive intervent, but an interesting find neverthless!

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Amargasaurus cazaui Salgado & Bonaparte 1991
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Dicraeosauridae
Time: Barremian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: La Amarga Formation (present day Argentina)
Manifacturer and date of release: Battat, 1996 (reissued in 2014 as part of the Terra Line)
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso
Scale: 1:42 for MACN-N 15

Battat and Carnegie Amargasaurus both have their pro and cons
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Leyster

Binomial name: Metriacanthosaurus parkeri (von Huene 1923)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Metriacanthosauridae->Metriacanthosaurinae
Time: Oxfordian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Oxford Clay Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2016
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:40 for OUMJ 12144

One of the nicest Collecta theropods, marvellously detailed. A pity that they went for those undermuscled legs and clown feet in their latest works, a serious step back.

ceratopsian

I've been enjoying this thread a lot.  Carnegie were the first dinosaur models I collected when I found the hobby a few years ago - good to be reminded of my excitement on finding them.  And yes, I agree about the CollectA Metriacanthosaurus.  I'm very fond of it.  Such a shame about the latest clown feet.

Stegotyranno420

Speaking of metricanthosaurs, are there any yangchuanosaurus

Loon

This is such a nice figure. I agree, CollectA's theropods were far better when they came with stands.

Leyster

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 01, 2021, 02:29:09 PM
I've been enjoying this thread a lot.  Carnegie were the first dinosaur models I collected when I found the hobby a few years ago - good to be reminded of my excitement on finding them. 
For a long time Carnegies (and Schleichs  >:() were the only models available where I live, I started collecting dinosaurs thanks to them and they're very special to me.
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 01, 2021, 02:29:09 PM
And yes, I agree about the CollectA Metriacanthosaurus.  I'm very fond of it.  Such a shame about the latest clown feet.
Quote from: Loon on April 01, 2021, 05:43:16 PM
This is such a nice figure. I agree, CollectA's theropods were far better when they came with stands.
I agree with both, damn that decision by Collecta. And I doubt they'll change their mind soon, collectors are probably just a little part of their outcome.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 01, 2021, 05:00:23 PM
Speaking of metricanthosaurs, are there any yangchuanosaurus
There are the PNSO, the PNSO mini, the Colorata and the Safari Dinosaurs of China. Sadly all of them are
a) old
b) based on GSP's depiction of the subadult (not the best depiction of the subadult either)
c) both
The Collecta Metriacanthosaurus is a good and cheap option for the Yangchuanosaurus subadult (again, Paul based), since Metriacanthosaurus is scrappy and should have being based on the way closer Sinraptor, anyway.

Binomial name: Stegosaurus armatus? S.ungulatus? (anyway trivial distinction, neither would have looked like this)
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosaurinae
Time: somewhere along Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: ? I wasn't able to locate the specimen LoRusso was referring of
Manifacturer and date of release: Battat, 1994 (reissued in 2014 as part of the Terra line)
Sculptor: Dan LoRusso
Scale: ? I was unable to obtain measurements for the specimen LoRusso was referring to.

Without any doubt the wrost Battat ever. Still interesting for historical reasons, I suppose.

Halichoeres

The original Stegosaurus was available new from the Dinosaur Studio as recently as 2016, if you want an idea of how sought-after it was relative to the rest of the line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 02, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
The original Stegosaurus was available new from the Dinosaur Studio aa recently as 2016, if you want an idea of how sought-after it was relative to the rest of the line.
Yes, I'd noted that, and yes, it's remarkable that inventory of this figure lingered on, so far removed in time from its initial release. Shame that Battat decided to re-issue this piece, instead of the repainted Triceratops or Styracosaurus, for instance.

Leyster

The original Stegosaurus was available new from the Dinosaur Studio aa recently as 2016, if you want an idea of how sought-after it was relative to the rest of the line.
Ah, yes, I remember seeing it!
Quote from: SidB on April 02, 2021, 07:16:51 PM
Yes, I'd noted that, and yes, it's remarkable that inventory of this figure lingered on, so far removed in time from its initial release. Shame that Battat decided to re-issue this piece, instead of the repainted Triceratops or Styracosaurus, for instance.
Triceratops or Styracosaurus instead of Stegosaurus would have been amazing, Battat Styracosaurus is still one of the best Styracosaurus available, and (since Triceratops is one of the dinosaurs I dislike most) I would have jumped at the option of a cheap (a genus not worth spending for, haha) but accurate Triceratops.

Binomial name: Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Carnegie Collection of the Safari LTD, 2014
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Scale: 1:34 based on CM9380, the holotype of Tyrannosaurus and the one housed at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. The skull of the model quite resemble it and, given the partnership with Safari LTD, I think it's a safe bet to indentify the model as this specimen.

An incredibly underrated model, in my opinion. Even with some issues with the proportions (I think the head is a tad too big?), this is a truly remarkable restoration of Tyrannosaurus. I expecially like the smooth skin (Tyrannosaurus scales, if they're even scales to begin with, are incredibly small and basically invisible at that size... do you get it, PNSO? ;) ), the appropriately small forelimbs and the sculpt of the skull, devoid of horns or angly eyebrows often employed to make Tyrannosaurus look cooler.

SidB

You're not exaggerating by labelling this figure "underrated". I just took a glance at the DTB entry for this piece by Marc Vincent back 6 or so years ago, where it was voted 3 stars out of 5, very ordinary. In fact, I recollect that it struggled along with a 2 1/2 rating for the longest while. And that's with 290 votes, something of a record  I'd suppose! Very polarizing figure. One permabanned member, known for his "emphatic" style of expression, basically went ballistic, in a negative manner, over it, setting a certain tone for quite a few people, IMO. However, I liked it and it remains a valued part of my still substantial Carnegie Safari collection.

I never did like the paint work around the mouth, so I re-did that to my satisfaction, getting rid of the sloppiness around the teeth and also the silly white coloration at the back of the mouth. Otherwise, I really appreciate the diminutive size of the arms, the best until PNSO's 'Winter Wilson', its equal in that respect. However, I'd have liked the tail base and lower pedal extremities to have been more substantial, but gracile sculpts seem to have been a signature of Forest Rogers's work.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on April 03, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
You're not exaggerating by labelling this figure "underrated". I just took a glance at the DTB entry for this piece by Marc Vincent back 6 or so years ago, where it was voted 3 stars out of 5, very ordinary. In fact, I recollect that it struggled along with a 2 1/2 rating for the longest while. And that's with 290 votes, something of a record  I'd suppose! Very polarizing figure. One permabanned member, known for his "emphatic" style of expression, basically went ballistic, in a negative manner, over it, setting a certain tone for quite a few people, IMO. However, I liked it and it remains a valued part of my still substantial Carnegie Safari collection.

I never did like the paint work around the mouth, so I re-did that to my satisfaction, getting rid of the sloppiness around the teeth and also the silly white coloration at the back of the mouth. Otherwise, I really appreciate the diminutive size of the arms, the best until PNSO's 'Winter Wilson', its equal in that respect. However, I'd have liked the tail base and lower pedal extremities to have been more substantial, but gracile sculpts seem to have been a signature of Forest Rogers's work.
Oh, the defects you mention are undeniable: the teeth... and much more prominently, the rictus... could have been painted better and and the legs and the tail base are definitely undermuscled. But this figure has been shamed (I remember reading those discussions you mention) as way wrost than it really is: basically, a very Paulian restoration with the defects common to Paulian restorations. It's nice to see that someone else appreciates this figure!  :))

Leyster

Binomial name: Acrocanthosaurus atokensis Stovall & Langston 1950
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Carcharodontosauria->Carcharodontosauridae
Time: Aptian-Albian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Twin Mountains Formation, Antlers Formation, Cloverly Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2002
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Scale: 1:86 for NCSM 14345

Another almost 20 years old figure that is distinctively better than anything produced later for this genus

Well this is my last post, for now. I have other figures (Papos, older Carnegies...), but since they do not met the scientific requirements for my collection, I don't consider them part of it.

postsaurischian

:)  I like the way you're presenting your figures.
  Dinotales Acrocanthosaurus & skeleton were originally sculpted by Eiichiro Matsumoto.

SidB

Thank you, L @Leyster  for having shared these with us. Your precision combined with a taste for quality has made good reading. I look forward to what you may have in the future for us.

Leyster

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 04, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
:)  I like the way you're presenting your figures.
  Dinotales Acrocanthosaurus & skeleton were originally sculpted by Eiichiro Matsumoto.

Thank you, both fo the interest and the info, I added it!

Quote from: SidB on April 04, 2021, 09:40:44 PM
Thank you, L @Leyster  for having shared these with us. Your precision combined with a taste for quality has made good reading. I look forward to what you may have in the future for us.
Thank you! I can share that I have a pack of Vitae incoming, but due to covid pandemic I don't know when they will reach me  ;D

Halichoeres

Thanks for bringing us on this journey! Looking forward to seeing what you might add in the future.

I also am somewhat mystified by how polarizing that last Carnegie rex was. It came out before I started collecting, so I missed the brouhaha, but it seems to me like one of the half dozen or so best versions of the genus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 08, 2021, 03:57:41 PM

I also am somewhat mystified by how polarizing that last Carnegie rex was. It came out before I started collecting, so I missed the brouhaha, but it seems to me like one of the half dozen or so best versions of the genus.

Right? I think it may simply have been a case of it being not what people expected

Binomial name: Irritator challengeri Martill et al. 1996 + Equinoxioudus alxantarensis Toledo et al. 2011
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Spinosauridae->Spinosaurinae + Dipnoi->Ceratodontiformes->Ceratodontoidei->Neoceratodontidae
Time: Albian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Romualdo Formation (present day Brazil)
Manifacturer and date of release: Dino Hazard, 2020
Sculptor: Hugo Cafasso
Scale: 1:13-1:16? for SMNS 58022

I mean, I'm quite certain I got something wrong, but the skull is 4,5 cm long and that results 1:13 (based on Sales & Schultz, 2017) or 1:16 (based on this post by Andrea Cau. Anyway, despite some minor nitpicks (two pretty noticeable seams and feets that didn't exactly fit in the base), a great, impressive model with a very beautiful sculpt!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: