News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on July 26, 2021, 04:04:14 PM
Quote from: Leyster on July 26, 2021, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: SidB on July 26, 2021, 02:07:08 PM
This one caught me by surprise, I confess. I have the 1/10 Beipiaosaurus from Forest Rogers, a fine model, but I never thought of the Toob. This one would fit into my Safari diorama, which Rogers' one couldn't because of its large size.
S @SidB I bought it more or less to exibit it alongside the PNSO Yutyrannus, where even if not exactly in the same scale can give a sense of how bigger Yutyrannus was compared to what was previously considered the biggest feathered dinosaur
Clever! I'm assuming that you bought the Toob, or was it an individual item?
I bought the whole toob, the other figures will be useful when (hopefully) I'll get the BOTM Yutyrannus. You'll see them here in the next days  :))
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

The difference between the old and new feathered dino toob figures is really stark. A real shame, as it's their only decent prehistoric toob left.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  right? I expected a downgrade, sure, but I've seen knockoffs that looks closer to the model they're based on...

Binomial name: Proceratosaurus bradleyi (Woodward, 1910)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Proceratosauridae
Time: Bathonian (middle Jurassic)
Formation: Great Oolite Group (present day England)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:20

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

ceratopsian

Stark indeed.  I was really shocked when I purchased the new feathered dino toob.  I rarely regret purchases but this is one I regret.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 27, 2021, 04:19:57 PM
The difference between the old and new feathered dino toob figures is really stark. A real shame, as it's their only decent prehistoric toob left.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 27, 2021, 06:57:22 PM
Stark indeed.  I was really shocked when I purchased the new feathered dino toob.  I rarely regret purchases but this is one I regret.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 27, 2021, 04:19:57 PM
Ouch, that's not a recommendation. It's not for me!

Leyster

Despite the downgrade, some are really nice tho

Binomial name: Caudipteryx zoui Ji et al. 1998
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Oviraptorosauria->Caudipteridae
Time: Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jianshangou Beds of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2009
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: 1:8 based on NGMC 97-4-A

Leyster

Binomial name: Guidraco venator Wang et al. 2012
Classification: Pterosauria->Macronychoptera->Novialoidea->Breviquartossa->Pterodactylomorpha->Caelidracones->Pterodactyloidea->Lophocratia->Eupterodactyloidea->Ornithocheiroidea->Pteranodontoidea->Ornithocheiromorpha->Lanceodontia->Anhangueria->Anhangueridae->Anhanguerinae
Time: Aptian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jiufotang Formation (present day China)
Sculptor: Somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:27

Leyster

Binomial name: Dilong paradoxus Xu et al. 2004
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Pantyrannosauria
Formation: Jianshangou Bed of Yixian Formation (present day China)
Scale: 1:12 for IVPP V14243

Probably the wrost offender, colour-wise, of the quality degradation of the Feathered Dinosaurs Toob.

Halichoeres

I'd like to see more pterosaurs like that Guidraco from PNSO.

And yikes, that Dilong :(
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SidB

Considering that Safari has the precursor, Roger's old Carnegie Safari DeLong, that Toob  specimen is pretty shaky.

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 01, 2021, 03:22:49 PM
I'd like to see more pterosaurs like that Guidraco from PNSO.
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yes, that would be great. In general, I whish they'll reconsider the idea of quitting their mini line.

S @SidB I have to check its proportions, they're surely different from the Carnegie, so it might be more accurate to the real thing. Or not.

Binomial name: Liaoceratops yanzigouensis Xu et al. 2002
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Marginocephalia->Ceratopsia->Neoceratopsia
Formation: Lujiatun Bed of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Scale: 1:9 based on IVPPV 12738

SidB

Good point, L @Leyster , I'll bee interested in seeing how that works out. However, I was actually thinking of the annoying three-point stance, weak coloration, clown-sized feet and semi-pronation of the left manus on the new one. Quite off-putting, IMO.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The PNSO minis are indeed the nicer of the two lots. I hope they make more.
I too have the weaker colouration of Safari Feathered Dinos Toob, strange how much of a difference it makes
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

S @SidB I agree, the sculpt could have been better. At least the black version was coloured aesthetically pleasingly.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx I hope too

Binomial name: Velociraptor mongoliensis Osborn 1924
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Deinonychosauria->Dromaeosauridae->Eudromaeosauria->Velociraptorinae
Time: Santonian?-Campanian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Djadochta Formation (present day China)
Scale: 1:19 based on IGM 100/25 ("Fighting Dinosaurs" specimen)

Leyster

Once upon a century I remeberI still have a thread

Binomial name: Atopodentus unicus Cheng et al. 2014
Classification: Sauropterygia
Time: Anisian (early Triassic)
Formation: Guanling Formation (present-day China)
Scale: 1:11 based on IVPP V20291

SidB

Good that you remembered your thread.

Halichoeres

My only wish concerning this figure is that it had been better-proportioned. The head is just way too large.

Leyster

Yeah, before researching for this animal I understimated how pinheaded Atopodentatus was

(skeletal by Jaime Headden)

Anyway, thank you for reminding me I'm supposed to update this thread  :))

Binomial name: Dicraeosaurus hansermanni Janensch, 1914
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Dicraeosauridae
Time: Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Tendaguru Formation (present-day Tanzania)
Manifacturer and date of release: GR Toys, 2021
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:30

You can read my review of this model here. And without online translators, now Paleo-Nerd is in English too  ;D

On a side note, Dicraeosaurids are basically the only sauropods in my collection, I should rectify this

SidB

Thanks, L @Leyster , for your usual thorough and comprehensive review on Paleo-Nerd which you've presented above. I was interested to read that you too share a certain puzzlement about the ambivalent claws on the front and back feet. What with the blunting and ambiguity about whether there is paint wear or not, it seemed to me almost impossible to determine the intention of the sculptor.

On another note, your description of the neck skeletal morphology was intriguing and it seems that it was an opportunity lost not to display this unique look on the figure itself.

All in all though, I'm glad that I purchased my GR Dicraeosaurus, especially as I was able to get it a good 30% less expensive than it is retailing for now. Not cheap, regardless, but there is a real scarcity of good sauropods outside of the "traditional" ones available, other than CollectA, most of which are too small for a 1/35- 1/40 collection.

Leyster

S @SidB thank you for your kind words on the review. Yeah, definitely a pity for the claw ambiguity.

Binomial name: Nyctosaurus gracilis Marsh 1876
Classification: Pterosauria->Macronychoptera->Novialoidea->Breviquartossa->Pterodactylomorpha->Caelidracones->Pterodactyloidea->Lophocratia->Eupterodactyloidea->Ornithocheiroidea-> Pteranodontoidea->Pteranodontia->Nyctosauridae
Time: Santonian/Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Smoky Hill Chalk Member of the Niobrara Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2016
Scale: 1:10

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: