News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 29/03/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on June 02, 2021, 12:56:39 PM
Thanks, L @Leyster ; it always amazes me when paleoartists forget to take the large thumbclaw into account, one way or another, and this is no exception, since it seems likely enough that this was a feature of A. jimmadseni too (though not an absolute certainty, of course).
Yes, Manning et al (2009) suggest a 15% of increase due to keratin, but recall reading eslewere increases up to 30%!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

I suspected the Pteranodon would be larger than the stated scale but geez.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 04, 2021, 07:51:43 PM
I suspected the Pteranodon would be larger than the stated scale but geez.
Indeed, quite a step from the previous Supreme pterosaurs.

I added an alphabetized taxa list to the first post, therefore I report there what was the first post previously.

Binomial name: Sinoceratops zhuchengensis, Xu et al. 2010
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Marginocephalia->Ceratopsia->Neoceratopsia->Coronosauria->Ceratopsoidea->Ceratopsidae->Centrosaurinae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Xingezhuang Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Vitae, 2017
Sculptor: Cheung Chung Tat
Scale: 1:26 for ZCDM V0010, 1:31 for ZCDM V0011

Thanks to avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx for helping me acquiring it.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Not a bad resin model at all. I have one and also the PNSO Sinoceratops. Which do you think to be more accurate?

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on June 27, 2021, 05:27:24 PM
Not a bad resin model at all. I have one and also the PNSO Sinoceratops. Which do you think to be more accurate?
It's not easy to answer, because of how little we have of Sinoceratops. Given its basal position and its close relation with Wendiceratops, I'd base it on the latter, and so it would have a smaller skull and a longer tail than derived ceratopsians. The Vitae looks based on a more derived genus, with a more robustly built body and short tail. But Sinoceratops is also the biggest/second biggest centrosaurine, so maybe it was proportionally different from its relatives. I do not own the PNSO, but it looks it has a longer tail, which is good. The Vitae one also has a fourth clawed digit on its forearm that shouldn't be there. The reasons to prefer Vitae over PNSO are a) if you get it at a bargain price b) if you really like the base c) if you hate with a passion Jurassic World's Sinoceratops, that the PNSO model resemble in colouration in a doubtful innocent way, given that their Tyrannosaurus also resemble the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus colours.

Here's Wendiceratops

What we got of Sinoceratops

Binomial name: Megalosaurus bucklandii Mantell, 1827
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Megalosauridae->Megalosaurinae
Time: Bathonian (Middle Jurassic)
Formation: Taynton Limestone Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2021
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:41 based on OUM J13561

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the photo credit. Honestly, the sinoceratops is like all out-of-place resin figures and a unique material. On the other hand, the megalosaurus is a good figure but it could be much better, perhaps what I like the least is its size, with a more acceptable size the figure would be more outstanding but obviously the price of the figure is quite affordable and the price takes its toll to the figure, it is a wonderful figure anyway. My congratulations on your purchases and on your eye-pleasing photos.

SenSx

Yes I'm not the biggest fan of this Collecta Megalosaurus either.
The lips are cool, but I can't help but see it with a dog face like, because of the paint job and sculpt combination.
But the biggest issue is the somewhat disappointing size.
Leyster you say it is 1/41, but if so it is still based on the smalles holotype :(

I will still get this figure, because it is the only decent Megalosaurus on the market, but I hope Collecta will make a deluxe version, or that an other company will make it as a figure.
This guy deserves it as the first "official" dinosaur.

But congratulations for your collection Leyster and thank you for your educative presentation.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think the size of the Megalosaurus is perfect, and I really like that little model, the face looks better in person too. This is the Megalosaurus I've been waiting for I think, or close to it anyway.

Finally got rid of my Vitae Sinoceratops, which actually cost me nearly twice as much as the PNSO an all. The only good thing it had going for me is that the flat bit near the rump is perfect for a small pterosaur figure to nest on.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Justin_

I think part of the weirdness of the CollectA Megalosaurus is that it is intentionally referencing Neave Parker's iconic depiction, and maybe even the Crystal Palace one, but giving them up-to-date anatomy. For me it doesn't quite work as a 2021 reconstruction but it still has a charm of its own. I might get one to modify and repaint.

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 29, 2021, 09:10:16 AM
I think the size of the Megalosaurus is perfect, and I really like that little model, the face looks better in person too. This is the Megalosaurus I've been waiting for I think, or close to it anyway.

Finally got rid of my Vitae Sinoceratops, which actually cost me nearly twice as much as the PNSO an all. The only good thing it had going for me is that the flat bit near the rump is perfect for a small pterosaur figure to nest on.
Aesthetically, I much prefer the PNSO Sinoceratops, but I'm going to hold onto the Vitae, largely because it's the only resin figure in my collection. Odd reason, I suppose.

Leyster

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus thank you!

avatar_SenSx @SenSx well, megalosaurs have quite a smooth skull, but I see your point

avatar_Justin_ @Justin_  I don't know, it doesn't exactly resemble Parker's pose

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx what's all the hate for the Vitae Sinoceratops? Apart for its fragileness, that I can understand

S @SidB well, at each his own taste I suppose

Binomial name: Yutyrannus huali Xu et al., 2012
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Proceratosauridae
Time: Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: unknown member of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2021
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:32 for the largest specimen, but see below

A long awaited model, but like many long awaited things, it turned out just a bit deluding. The skull shape doesn't match Yutyrannus, the keratin is lacking and the head is too small. More in my review, soon. Otherwise a great model.

Halichoeres

Interesting that the head is too small. So often the heads of dinosaur figures are too large. I've been debating getting this Yutyrannus--the Safari version is my preferred scale, but I like the plumage/pelage of this one a bit more.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, I really like the yutyrannus, I will not say that it is the best of all but it is a very beautiful figure, it reminds me of the mythological god Pan, that feathered figure is very successful on the part of PNSO and that painting of the plumage quite well done. It is a more than acceptable figure and I could say that without being exceptional at all, it is a remarkable figure. In my case, I like his Safari yutyrannus better, but I can't be fair since I don't have it in my collection and the original is better, that is, to have it physically than photography or video, even though they are the best in the world. My congratulations on your new acquisition.

Leyster

Yutyrannus has a surprisingly big skull

Here you can find measurements, the skull is consistetly longer than the femur in all three specimens, the opposite happens in the PNSO. Aesthetically the PNSO is nicer than the Safari (which I hesitated to buy due to its featherless head and the big scales on the head, my main issues with it), but the Safari is more accurate, in feather lenght too. No surprise in that, I recently saw a stream by a paleontologist about the PNSO Carnotaurus, and what he criticized in that model looks right in the Safari.

Thanks. I'm not saying it's a bad model, only that it could have been more accurate. I have high expectations on the upcoming BOTM.

SidB

Carnotaurus, Yutyrannus, etc. Over and over, we are gradually being reminded of the tremendous effort Watson, for Safari, has taken to ensure maximal accuracy for those dinosaurs for which he's responsible. And all at a very reasonable price. I'm certainly NOT complaining about the remarkable PNSO's, they are wonderful in so many ways, BUT let's not sell Safari short, especially at their price point.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The scaly head on the Safari Yutyrannus always makes it look like a scaly theropod wearing a woolly jumper, so even if a fully Feathered face weren't accurate, I'd still be interested in one. Shame to hear about the skull, but I think I will definitely get the PNSO Yutyrannus, won't be getting rid of the Safari Ltd. Not that I was planning on anyway.

I've always liked that Megalosaurus art by the way, I don't know why
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

S @SidB
At the moment, I feel like Safari is one of the few that truly aims at accuracy, without compromises to have the figure look cooler.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx
As far as I can tell, there is no proof for or against the fethered head, but I do agree that it looks more believable.

Binomial name: Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (Depéret & Savornin, 1925)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Carcharodontosauria->Carcharodontosauridae->Carcharodontosaurinae
Time: Cenomanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Kem Kem Beds, Baharija Formation (present day Morocco and Egypt)
Manifacturer and date of release: GR Toys, 2021
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:32 for the neotype

Maybe the most beutifully coloured model in my collection. Here is my review, and now you don't need an online translator, either!

Halichoeres

I had no idea Zhao Chuang's workshop was involved in producing the Carcharodontosaurus!

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  He wasn't, as far as I know, just a wrong copy and paste by me  ;D

SidB

Thank you for the thorough review - always a highlight of a DTF viewing session. I now see why so many are so positive about this model, though my own choice was the PNSO, considering the price point.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: