You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely acquisitions L @Leyster the Dicreosaurus and Nyctosaurus are great figures.
I can't believe its taken so long for someone to make a decent Dicreosaurus
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Very fond of both of these, even though I have quibbles with some of the choices of each.

Quote from: Leyster on November 05, 2021, 08:19:25 AM

On a side note, Dicraeosaurids are basically the only sauropods in my collection, I should rectify this

You definitely should rectify that!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Binomial name: Sinornithosaurus millenii Xu, Wang, & Wu 1999
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Deinonychosauria->Dromaeosauridae->Microraptoria
Time: Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jianshangou Beds of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2009
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: 1:12 for IVPP V12811

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

The paint job is so different from the original it took me a moment to recognize it. The original paint job wasn't that great either, unfortunately, and made a decent sculpt look rather simian.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 30, 2021, 06:48:18 PM
and made a decent sculpt look rather simian.
A perfect definition!  ;D

Binomial name: Archaeopteryx lithographica Meyer, 1861
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Avialae->Archaeopterygidae
Time: Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Solnhofen and Eichstatt Member of the Altmuhltal Formation, Mörnsheim Formation, Painten Formation (present-day Germany)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2017
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:4 for the Berlin specimen

An amazing little sculpture, a shame for the second hand digit, and I'm unsure if the colouration matches the fossil pigments.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The feather that was found to be black was determined after all not to belong to Archaeopteryx. I'm unsure of any other colour studies of Archaeopteryx.
That is a nice figure, but I have the Favorite Co and the Safari so didn't bother with it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on December 27, 2021, 09:12:39 PM
The feather that was found to be black was determined after all not to belong to Archaeopteryx. I'm unsure of any other colour studies of Archaeopteryx.
That is a nice figure, but I have the Favorite Co and the Safari so didn't bother with it.

Didn't the last paper (Carney et al. 2020) confirm that it was indeed an Archaeopteryx feather?

Halichoeres

Wow my brain was seriously out of date on Archaeopteryx plumage.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Leyster on December 28, 2021, 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on December 27, 2021, 09:12:39 PM

Didn't the last paper (Carney et al. 2020) confirm that it was indeed an Archaeopteryx feather?
Yep, you're right my mistake. I managed to miss that paper. I've gone and checked and found the Carney et al paper and that is their conclusion.
Hard to keep up with some things.

Leyster

No problem!

Binomial name: Protoceratops andrewsi Granger & Gregory, 1923
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Marginocephalia->Ceratopsia->Neoceratopsia->Coronosauria->Protoceratopsidae
Time: Santonian?-Campanian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Djadochta Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2009
Sculptor: I don't know if Doug Watson sculpted the unfeathered dinosaurs, too
Scale: 1:26? Not too sure about the measurements I have

Duck

That model actually looks really adorable, congrats L @Leyster
He who dwells in pond

SidB

Both adorable and with a little face that only Mom could love. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Leyster

S @SidB it's screming for it woke up in the body of a Protoceratops  ;D

Shonisaurus

It is a very beautiful figure that protoceratops. Safari needs to make a figure on a larger scale, that is, a larger-sized protoceratops.

Leyster

Binomial name: Unnamed
Classification: Pterosauria->Macronychoptera->Novialoidea->Breviquartossa->Pterodactylomorpha->Caelidracones->Pterodactyloidea->Lophocratia->Eupterodactyloidea->Ornithocheiroidea->Pteranodontoidea->Ornithocheiromorpha->Lanceodontia->Anhangueria->Anhangueridae (at least, the figure cleary represents an Anhangueridae)
Time: Albian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Elrhaz Formation (present day Niger)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari, 2007
Sculptor: ?
Scale: unable to find measurements

Concavenator

Certainly a thread I enjoy visiting, congrats for the acquisitions.

On to the Archaeopteryx though, do you know what the consensus is right now towards it having a sickle claw? The Safari version is depicted that way, which is backed by a paper (Mayr et al. 2005).

Leyster

Thank you both.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator as far as I know, yes, that's the current restoration. Both Hartman (2013) and Paul (2016, but who knows when he made he skeletal) have it. Here is a paper which, if not specifically about Archaeopteryx, talks about the falciphoran codition.

Binomial name: Stegosaurus stenops (Marsh, 1887)
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosauridae->Stegosaurinae
Time: Kimmeridgian-Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Morrison Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:40 based on USNM 4934 (the holotype or "roadkill" specimen)

It might not be the best stegosaurus restoration (it's topped by the Safari and the newer PNSO), but it has it charms and shows well the "brick build" of these animals. Puls, ehi, it's 1:40, is nice to have 1:40 models again.

Halichoeres

I think this a very underrated Stegosaurus.

Grimbeard

I actually prefer the old PNSO Stegosaurus over the newer one (at least the adult one). I know that the "green body with reddish plates" colorscheme is overdone and the plate pattern is..."controversial", but its still my prefered Stegosaurus look besides Rebors Woodland Variant Stego.

The only think I dont like that much about old Bieber are the pink markings on his eyes.

JohannesB

I like the old PNSO Stegosaurus too. I think it has a lot of saving graces. I did not buy it though, because I think it is a bit too small for my taste.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: