News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2022 Hopes and Dreams

Started by CarnotaurusKing, March 19, 2021, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, does that website have pages for any other new Safari prehistoric figures?

I'll be disappointed if this is another year where Safari makes a new sauropod figure and doesn't make a new Plateosaurus figure.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on January 19, 2022, 07:10:16 PM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, does that website have pages for any other new Safari prehistoric figures?

I'll be disappointed if this is another year where Safari makes a new sauropod figure and doesn't make a new Plateosaurus figure.
I checked, nope. I did see an Asia toob, Rock Agama, Crested Gecko and Twilight Unicorn though.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

There's a list of some extant animal releases over on the Animal Toy Forum, avatar_Sim @Sim.

Shonisaurus

I am satisfied with the patagotitan, it is a totally unprecedented species in the toy dinosaur market and therefore it is good that Safari has made some, honestly, a Safari 2022 figure is better for this year, in order to save money to buy novelties from other brands .

Dino_Soros

Someday maybe we'll get a ~1:35 Ouranosaurus. The only good looking version is Battat's, which is nigh impossible to find affordably these days.

Though given PNSO's recent ornithopod spree I suspect we'll get a PNSO Ouranosaurus before a Safari version.

Halichoeres

Now hoping for a Nothosaurus from Safari just so I'm not tempted to buy Schleich's.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 05, 2022, 05:14:00 PM
Now hoping for a Nothosaurus from Safari just so I'm not tempted to buy Schleich's.

I know exactly how you feel.

Sim

I'm curious about whether Safari will be releasing a new Tyrannosaurus...  I don't need a Tyrannosaurus, but I'm constantly being tempted by PNSO's newest Wilson which I'm not entirely keen on.  Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus will probably have integument I don't find convincing, GR Toys's Tyrannosaurus looks to be unappealing to me, and I have no interest in REBOR's Tyrannosaurus like all their products.  So the only option for a Tyrannosaurus I'll like is from Safari.  More than that though I hope Safari will finally release a new Plateosaurus.

Sim

Some further thoughts I have: I hope that boring yellow and brown colouration used on so many Safari figures isn't used again for a long time.  I'm glad the 2022 Safari Patagotitan has it as it's a figure I wouldn't be interested in in any case, and it reduces the chance another figure that I like will have it.  Additionally, while I would love a Wild Safari Plateosaurus, what I'd like most from Wild Safari is a new, accurate Rhamphorhynchus!

Thialfi

You know, with a therizinosaurus showing up in JW: Dominion and Mattel having pulled off a decent attempt at a toy for the species, I would love to see Safari Ltd. give it another shot - it's been years since we got a therizinosaurus, and I am not even sure if we ever got a real good one?.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Thialfi on April 18, 2022, 01:33:00 AM
You know, with a therizinosaurus showing up in JW: Dominion and Mattel having pulled off a decent attempt at a toy for the species, I would love to see Safari Ltd. give it another shot - it's been years since we got a therizinosaurus, and I am not even sure if we ever got a real good one?.
Papo's is the closest to being good. Yknow, being an "awesomebro" company, I wonder why they made the claws so short.

Stegotyranno420

IMO, awesomebro is a foolish concept. I guess it's just a result of the human mind trying to find patterns in things when there are none.
And it will be more believable if it did not have such a lame, rude, and annoying name.

As per the reveals, I am a bit late on the topic, but I don't think it's such a big problem, Safari is just trying out new things and what works best. Nothing to be very impatient about

GojiraGuy1954

My only hope or dream as of right now is for Safari to stop shoddily ripping off the way other companies do figure reveals. What you had was fine before

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 18, 2022, 07:33:46 AM
My only hope or dream as of right now is for Safari to stop shoddily ripping off the way other companies do figure reveals. What you had was fine before

I've largely tried to avoid commenting on anything relating to Safari's marketing strategy but...I just don't get this particular criticism.

In the other thread, most of the complaints seem centered around Safari NOT doing what other companies are doing/have done in terms of reveals. It's being compared to those companies unfavorably for NOT adopting their methods.

But this complaint is saying that Safari's current method of reveals is "ripping off" the way other companies do them?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Shane on April 18, 2022, 03:27:40 PM

I've largely tried to avoid commenting on anything relating to Safari's marketing strategy but...I just don't get this particular criticism.

In the other thread, most of the complaints seem centered around Safari NOT doing what other companies are doing/have done in terms of reveals. It's being compared to those companies unfavorably for NOT adopting their methods.

But this complaint is saying that Safari's current method of reveals is "ripping off" the way other companies do them?

Last year it was EoFauna. They used the same guessing game strategy they do, but did it all wrong. Only posted one image, made it obvious from the start, and stretched it out for weeks upon weeks.

This year it's PNSO. Using their straegy of revealing throughout the year, but Safari simply hasnt been releasing enough for that sort of thing to work. At least Rebor does numerous teasers and WIPs despite their very, very low reveal output. Safari's old method of revealling was fine as it is.

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 18, 2022, 03:33:48 PM

Last year it was EoFauna. They used the same guessing game strategy they do, but did it all wrong. Only posted one image, made it obvious from the start, and stretched it out for weeks upon weeks.

This year it's PNSO. Using their straegy of revealing throughout the year, but Safari simply hasnt been releasing enough for that sort of thing to work. At least Rebor does numerous teasers and WIPs despite their very, very low reveal output. Safari's old method of revealling was fine as it is.

I can, with 100% certainty, tell you that Safari's marketing strategy is not, and has not been, directly influenced by either EoFauna or PNSO. Guessing games, teases, and revealing items individually vs. all at once are not strategies that EoFauna or PNSO pioneered, or "own" and they did not factor into how Safari decided to plan their reveals.

Additionally, it's very strange to see someone discussing Rebor's method positively, as I personally find their method of just revealing in progress shots of things that may or may not ever see the light of day, with no real indication of when (or if) you can expect to see the finished product pretty infuriating.

But to each their own, I guess.

suspsy

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, what on Earth are you talking about? Eofauna most assuredly didn't stretch anything out for weeks and weeks. They posted their first teaser for the Konobelodon on Nov. 2, then another one on Nov. 3, and then revealed the toy in full on Nov. 4. Go check their Facebook page and see for yourself.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on April 18, 2022, 06:43:10 PM

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, what on Earth are you talking about? Eofauna most assuredly didn't stretch anything out for weeks and weeks. They posted their first teaser for the Konobelodon on Nov. 2, then another one on Nov. 3, and then revealed the toy in full on Nov. 4. Go check their Facebook page and see for yourself.
It's Eofauna's formula that they took and messed up

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 18, 2022, 07:25:10 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 18, 2022, 06:43:10 PM

It's Eofauna's formula that they took and messed up

Ah, okay, I see what you're saying now. Shane's above response notwithstanding, I don't think Safari makes a habit of copying other companies' reveal methods. It's not like such guessing games aren't super common. Just look at Pokémon.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

Frankly, I'd actually give Safari credit for how much they shake up their announcement methods. Remember that time a few years ago when they sent early samples to several YouTube reviewers by surprise? While a more consistent announcement formula might be better, I appreciate that Safari has clearly tried to spice things up a little and keep fans on their toes with new releases.

Of course, the catch to all of this is that these teasers and reveals would have normally started by last October, and by year's start we would know the whole lineup. It's now late April and we still only have one prehistoric animal confirmed, plus a few extant animals. I don't mind waiting for availability - Safari can't help that part - but it would be nice by now to know just what all it is we're waiting for.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: