News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2022 Hopes and Dreams

Started by CarnotaurusKing, March 19, 2021, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Bread on September 08, 2021, 01:07:39 AM
I should correct my statement for wanting a remake of Watson's Triceratops. The sculpt is beautiful, but I just think it lacks some colors on the body. So I should have stated the need for a repaint to make it more appealing. My apologies and thank you avatar_Sim @Sim for the clarifications for vote count.

Spot on. I would love a Triceratops repaint. Definitely adding this to my own hopes and dreams list.

At risk of repeating myself: I didn't care about the Triceratops' beautiful sculpt, why would I want to buy it versus a hundred other brown Triceratops figures?

On the same note, I hope for a new Rex that's as beautiful as both versions of the current feathered Rex.

triceratops83

I adore the feathered Safari Rex. I think it's the best possible pose for a Tyrannosaurus figure. If the idea is to release a scaly version, I hope they reuse the existing sculpt and just de-feather it.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

My first hope is that if Safari Ltd are releasing a Tarbosaurus or Torvosaurus next year, could they please release news about them today or tomorrow so I don't buy the PNSO versions from ED.

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Szajmin

I just want a new Therizinosaurus, Mononycus and  Ornithomimus (or relatives)

I will be very happy with some extinct amphibians, fish, birds and lessr know mammals (by any mainstream company)

Sim

Relatives would be better than the three dinosaurs you mentioned.  In the case of Therizinosaurus and Mononykus, their appearance is unknown, so Falcarius and Shuvuuia would be better choices.  In the case of Ornithomimus, it is very fragmentary and its appearance is unknown.  Reconstructions of Ornithomimus are actually based on Dromiceiomimus or the sedens ornithomimid species which needs a genus name.  Since sedens doesn't have a genus name currently, I would avoid it and recommend other ornithomimids with a known appearance e.g. Gallimimus and Dromiceiomimus instead.

suspsy

Ornithomimosaurs deserve new toys more than any other group. The last time we got a slew of them was from CollectA way back in 2016. We need Gallimimus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus, Dromiceiomimus, Rativates, Harpymimus, Garudimimus, any of those magnificent animals.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Hmm, there are other groups that deserve toys just as much as ornithomimosaurs, troodontids for example which don't have any adequate representation.

I agree new ornithomimosaur toys are needed, but I don't think Ornithomimus and Struthiomimus need to be made.  As I mentioned earlier, Ornithomimus's appearance is not known and it gets based on other ornithomimosaur species, while the shape of Struthiomimus altus's snout is unclear due to poor preservation and a number of possibilities exist.  Additionally a new unnamed species of Struthiomimus suggests the snout of S. altus might look different to how it has been reconstructed in the past.  This new species is one of several ornithomimosaurs known from good remains that need a scientific name (others being "mongoliensis" and sedens) and I think it would be best to wait until they get a proper name before making figures of them.

You list some species that would make great toys: Gallimimus, Dromiceiomimus, Rativates, Harpymimus, Garudimimus.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: suspsy on September 08, 2021, 02:33:33 PM
Ornithomimosaurs deserve new toys more than any other group. The last time we got a slew of them was from CollectA way back in 2016. We need Gallimimus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus, Dromiceiomimus, Rativates, Harpymimus, Garudimimus, any of those magnificent animals.
Papo should make a JP Gallimimus and Safari should do an accurate Ornithomimus for Hell Creek
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 08, 2021, 09:44:02 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 08, 2021, 02:33:33 PM
Papo should make a JP Gallimimus and Safari should do an accurate Ornithomimus for Hell Creek
Would rather have Nanmu make the Gallomimus as I would fear Papo's may be a tripod. Safari would definitely pull off an accurate representation of the genus. One issue though may be the scale of the figure compared with the other Hell Creek figures.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Safari could do a Struthiomimus/Ornithomims to scale with the Pachycephalosaurus for a nice sized figure. Or it worried Ornithomimids wouldn't sell, make a smaller cheaper one that is to scale with the Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops & Ankylosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 09, 2021, 02:36:49 AM
Safari could do a Struthiomimus/Ornithomims to scale with the Pachycephalosaurus for a nice sized figure. Or it worried Ornithomimids wouldn't sell, make a smaller cheaper one that is to scale with the Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops & Ankylosaurus.
The smaller scale might lend itself to a group display, such as the old Carnegie Deinonychus pack, but with the greatly improved detailing and accuracy now avaiable.

Shonisaurus

A struthiomimus would be great except for Collecta and a few other toy dinosaur companies that dinosaur species is so underrated.

Why not also, a breviceratops? Small dinosaurs are also needed, even if they are not as commercially successful.

Sim

Quote from: Bread on September 09, 2021, 02:23:20 AM
Would rather have Nanmu make the Gallomimus as I would fear Papo's may be a tripod. Safari would definitely pull off an accurate representation of the genus. One issue though may be the scale of the figure compared with the other Hell Creek figures.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 avatar_Bread @Bread

An accurate representation of Ornithomimus isn't possible since it's only known from fragments.  Additionally Ornithomimus is not from Hell Creek.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on September 09, 2021, 03:41:12 PM
Quote from: Bread on September 09, 2021, 02:23:20 AM

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 avatar_Bread @Bread

An accurate representation of Ornithomimus isn't possible since it's only known from fragments.  Additionally Ornithomimus is not from Hell Creek.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Would really like to see Safari do some more extinct mammals. Palorchestes, Procoptodon (or really any sthenurine), a larger version of their Arsinotherium, Coryphodon, Barylambda, Titanoides, Astrapotherium, Teleoceras, Toxodon, any protoceratid, Sivatherium, and of course Paraceratherium would all be welcome offerings.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 09, 2021, 07:07:30 PM

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, er, you're leaving a lot to guess.  You haven't said where that's from or what it means.  I'm guessing that it describes how many of certain dinosaurs have been found at Hell Creek?  If so it's incorrect in referring to ornithomimid remains as Ornithomimus, as Ornithomimus is not known from Hell Creek: https://theropoddatabase.com/Ornithomimosauria.htm#Ornithomimusvelox

And this reminds me:
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 13, 2021, 10:57:18 PM
I picked Dakotaraptor over Utahraptor because it'd be a good addition to Safari's Hell Creek collection, i.e. the Feathered Rex, Anky, Trike, Quetz, etc
Quetzalcoatlus is not known from Hell Creek either.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on September 09, 2021, 09:10:39 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 09, 2021, 07:07:30 PM

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954, er, you're leaving a lot to guess.  You haven't said where that's from or what it means.  I'm guessing that it describes how many of certain dinosaurs have been found at Hell Creek?  If so it's incorrect in referring to ornithomimid remains as Ornithomimus, as Ornithomimus is not known from Hell Creek: https://theropoddatabase.com/Ornithomimosauria.htm#Ornithomimusvelox

And this reminds me:
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 13, 2021, 10:57:18 PM
I picked Dakotaraptor over Utahraptor because it'd be a good addition to Safari's Hell Creek collection, i.e. the Feathered Rex, Anky, Trike, Quetz, etc
Quetzalcoatlus is not known from Hell Creek either.
No, but Quetz is found nearby, and there are indeterminate azdarchid remains there

Szajmin

QuoteIn the case of Therizinosaurus and Mononykus, their appearance is unknown, so Falcarius and Shuvuuia would be better choices.

Works for me,  we don't know details of appearance. I am more generaly interested in clads (or interesting looking figure) than species. I mean one company can release figure marked as "Therizinosaurus" and some people be like "eh, i already have a Therizinosaurus, i will skip it", but if the same figure was marked as "Falcarius" people be like "OMG a rare species, maybe claws are too big but must have". :P

I am of course excluding species, with characteristic features here (lie ceratopsians with their horn and frill patterns)

I know there are people who know the difference in limb proportion etc, and call see the difference if figure is a Daspletosaurus or T. rex, but I just want some nice, scientific accurate figures representing the clads of Therizinosaurus, Struthiomimus and Mononykus.

DC

How about a small theropod toob: Velociraptor, Coelophysis, Compsognathus,  Archaeoraptor, Pyroraptor, Balur, Struthiomimus, Falcarius, Ornitholestes etc.

Pterosaur / bird toob

I would like some more good luck minis: Compie, Eoraptor, Rhamphorhynchus
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Sim

A small theropod toob sounds good.  Velociraptor, Coelophysis, Compsognathus, Falcarius and Ornitholestes would be good choices.  I would like a new Velociraptor to be sculpted for this toob and not reuse the Feathered Dinos Toob one.  I'd like the new Velociraptor to look more like Safari's 2017 Velociraptor.  "Archaeoraptor" doesn't exist, perhaps you were referring to Microraptor?  I think Microraptor would be a good choice for this toob, but like Velociraptor I'd like a new Microraptor to be sculpted as the Feathered Dinos toob one has outdated feathers, colouration and pose.  It would be great to have a small iridescent Microraptor, it would be more accurate than Safari's 2017 Microraptor.  I'd prefer Rativates or Dromiceiomimus to Struthiomimus as the first two have known head shapes while the third one doesn't.  Pyroraptor has an unknown appearance and it's not clear what kind of theropod Balaur is, so I'd much rather Safari's new toob included two of my favourite dinosaurs, Buitreraptor and Saurornithoides!

I'd be interested in a pterosaur toob if it included Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and/or Scaphognathus.  They would need to have pycnofibers too.  I would be so happy to have nice figures of these awesome pterosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: