News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo Megaloceros repaint (little)

Started by Duna, March 21, 2021, 05:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

I didn't realise how magnificent Papo Megaloceros was until I bought the figure. Believe me, no review no picture can show the beauty of this little figure, I really recommend you adquire it, it's one of Papo's best (if not the best) figures.

The only little flaw about this figure that bothered me a little was its colors, as our ancestors have depicted Megaloceros with a very distinctive look. I loved the Megaloceros in Walking With Beasts so I got inspired in them. But I did want to respect most of the fabulous Papo real colors so I went for the obvious: only pain the head, neck, back and the rump patch.
I first painted it light grey, but though it looked very nice, I was not fully convinced, so I repainted it again with a light creamy color (not as in the show but my own touch), with a bit of brown touches. The black parts may not be in place, I know, but they don't look too odd. I liked the light coloured antlers of the figure so I didn't paint them and I tried to match them with the head. I did not paint the eyes, the mouth, the nose, the inside of the ears, the belly and the legs, either. I'm quite bad at painting and I don't have the precision nor the shiny coat to apply later. The dark line from the eye is also a personal touch, I thought it looked better with it.

SidB

Definitely like what you've done here!

Dusty Wren

The dark lines around the light rump patch are a really nice detail, and so are the lines from the eyes. This turned out great, and I like that you left some of the original paint job intact.

I'm in the process of repainting my Megaloceros as well--guess that's a popular project around here!
Check out my customs thread!

Tyto_Theropod

avatar_Duna @Duna, you may say you're bad at painting, but the pictures say otherwise!  As avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren says, this figure seems to be a popular project, but I think yours might be my favourite of the repaints of it I've seen.  It's high-contrast enough to be eye-catching, but subtle enough to still look right on a mammal.  Also, don't worry about the markings not being exact - individual variation is a thing, after all, and it's perfectly normal for even large wild mammals with a pretty uniform colour scheme to have slight differences in the exact distribution of their species' coat patterns.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Duna

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on March 21, 2021, 06:16:14 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna, you may say you're bad at painting, but the pictures say otherwise!  As avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren says, this figure seems to be a popular project, but I think yours might be my favourite of the repaints of it I've seen.  It's high-contrast enough to be eye-catching, but subtle enough to still look right on a mammal.  Also, don't worry about the markings not being exact - individual variation is a thing, after all, and it's perfectly normal for even large wild mammals with a pretty uniform colour scheme to have slight differences in the exact distribution of their species' coat patterns.
Thanks a lot for your words! I was "meh but I like it" ... it may be a masterpiece in the right hands, but as I'm no artist, I just tried colors and repainted until it was nice to my eye, a mix of oryx, reindeer and the Megaloceros of the documentary.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 21, 2021, 05:51:44 PM
The dark lines around the light rump patch are a really nice detail, and so are the lines from the eyes. This turned out great, and I like that you left some of the original paint job intact.

I'm in the process of repainting my Megaloceros as well--guess that's a popular project around here!
Very pleased to hear about more projects, there will be very nice designs then ...
Yes, I loved so much the original Megaloceros, that it was my promise from the beggining to respect a little of it. It may look better with other colors, but at the end I was faithful to my promise.  :)

Halichoeres

It looks really nice. How did you do the blending?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 24, 2021, 10:23:25 PM
I just used very dry paint brush of the creamy colour, almost dry. So it would not end abruptly with the brown in the sides and even looked a bit like fur.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Duna on March 26, 2021, 09:18:39 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 24, 2021, 10:23:25 PM
I just used very dry paint brush of the creamy colour, almost dry. So it would not end abruptly with the brown in the sides and even looked a bit like fur.

Thanks! Very effective!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.